Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-12, 10:22 AM  
JulieIL

Smile You may want to reconsider the $14.95 trial..

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosetooth View Post
Thank you for your review. I am seeing on the bb website that the Les Mills body pump system can be tried for one month for 14.95!! I am liking that!
You may want to actually do the calculations for the $14.95 trial. Another thread talked about this not being the great deal that it initially appears to be.

The catch is that if you keep the system after the trial, you end up paying more than you would have for just buying the system. If you don't want to keep the system, you need to pay to ship the barbell & weights back to them (which would end up being pretty pricey).

This is just something you may want to look into.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 10:28 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Ya. They always try to grab you with that offer because it seems like such a great deal. Any seemingly great deal is always the better deal for the company. They think they will either get you hooked on the workout or reluctant to pay the high shipping costs to return it.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 11:23 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
If you don't want to keep the system, you need to pay to ship the barbell & weights back to them (which would end up being pretty pricey).
I did a chat with them this morning and when I found out they did not have the option to purchase without the barbell, I let them know I would not be buying it and that they might want to consider offering it without the barbell as well. There are plenty of people that already have the equipment necessary and for me, it was a deal breaker.
Old 02-04-12, 11:27 AM  
fitmiller

It does look like a good system, but I'm one of them that wouldn't be able to take all the endless lunges and squats, so that's the deal breaker for me.
fitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 12:12 PM  
pharma_gal

Are all workouts full body workouts?
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 12:17 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I LOVE this system. It is literally the best purchase I have ever made and I've been at VF since 1998. I've been doing it for a month. Before I started, I was having weird pains in my knees.... my knees are LOVING this and just the other day I noticed NO KNEE PAIN. Not going down stairs (which was when it always bit me), not running downhill, not getting up from sitting cross-legged for an hour surfing the web. Just no knee pain.

It's FUN. That's what I love about it. The knee thing just snuck up on me. I can tell I am getting firmer and stronger in my butt/hamstrings, quads, chest/back, and abs. I am just now starting into the longer workouts that have more isolation work, so I'm sure the smaller muscle groups will be coming along soon too. I'm amazing how much my triceps firmed up just doing Pump and Burn, the 30 minute workout, which has no isolated triceps work but lots of chest presses.

Very nice altogether. Good results, but more importantly GREAT FUN. Very motivating.

Pharmagal, yes, they are all total body, but the shorter workouts start with compound movements like deadlifts, dead rows, squats, clean and press, etc., things that work your whole body but aren't necessarily isolation. As you work into the longer workouts, there is more isolation work. As I mentioned above, my triceps really look great after doing just the chest press track on Pump and Burn even though it doesn't isolate the triceps.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 01:34 PM  
fitmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I LOVE this system. It is literally the best purchase I have ever made and I've been at VF since 1998. I've been doing it for a month. Before I started, I was having weird pains in my knees.... my knees are LOVING this and just the other day I noticed NO KNEE PAIN. Not going down stairs (which was when it always bit me), not running downhill, not getting up from sitting cross-legged for an hour surfing the web. Just no knee pain.

It's FUN. That's what I love about it. The knee thing just snuck up on me. I can tell I am getting firmer and stronger in my butt/hamstrings, quads, chest/back, and abs. I am just now starting into the longer workouts that have more isolation work, so I'm sure the smaller muscle groups will be coming along soon too. I'm amazing how much my triceps firmed up just doing Pump and Burn, the 30 minute workout, which has no isolated triceps work but lots of chest presses.

Very nice altogether. Good results, but more importantly GREAT FUN. Very motivating.

Pharmagal, yes, they are all total body, but the shorter workouts start with compound movements like deadlifts, dead rows, squats, clean and press, etc., things that work your whole body but aren't necessarily isolation. As you work into the longer workouts, there is more isolation work. As I mentioned above, my triceps really look great after doing just the chest press track on Pump and Burn even though it doesn't isolate the triceps.
So you don't find the squats bothering your knees, but actually making them feel better? This is wonderful!
fitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 02:02 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

fitmiller, YEAH. It surprised me. I've been slowly getting painsier in the knees as I've gotten older, since about the age of 45 or so. A sharp stabby pain underneath my kneecaps was getting me whenever I went downstairs, or doing squats/lunges of any depth (I could keep 'em shallow and would be fine as long as I was very careful about keeping my weight in my heels.)

Just the other day I was running down the stairs, late getting to an activity, and I realized that my knees were FINE. And I thought about how in the past week's workouts, I never even had to THINK about keeping the weight in my heels to ward off any knee pain, because there wasn't any there.

And I'm going lots deeper into squats and lunges now without any discomfort at all. I think I must've had a strength imbalance of some sort that was affecting my knees, that's all I can think of...
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:36 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmiller View Post
So you don't find the squats bothering your knees, but actually making them feel better? This is wonderful!
On a somewhat related topic:
I tend to have problematic knees (they occasionally get a little painful/crackly but it's sporadic what aggravates them).

When I was doing Jari Love (S&L, GR&C) frequently --which is quite similar to Pump, I believe-- I had NO knee issues whatsoever. Everything felt strong and fine.

Maybe there is something to this style that is good for tricky knees....
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 03:42 PM  
Ann1964

This is going to sound strange, but in the workouts how much do they put the barbell behind the neck. I am deformed or something and cannot do. I guess no flexibility or something?..
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, beachbody, beachbody clip failure, beachbody injuries, body pump, danskin, les mills, les mills body pump, les mills pump, pump