Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-12, 12:10 PM  
edensmom

eyefit- I dry brush every single day and I have been doing it off and on for years. For me, an improvement came within a few weeks. My skin is generally firmer and very very soft (which I attribute to the brushing). I also started started carrying a big jar of filtered water with me everywhere I go and drink 5+ liters of water everyday now so that probably comes into play some. I do have a tiny bit of skin that hangs when I do plank, down dog etc only but I haven't really focused on my stomach as much when brushing. I brush my entire body but I am most vigorous on my thighs. It has seemed to improve the appearance of the little bit of cellulite I have there. HTH.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 01:17 PM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I have had 10 babies as my screen name shows. I had my first at the age of 18 and my last at the age of 45. Actually, my last three, I had over the age of 40. I do have some loose skin, but it's very minimal. It will show only in plank position, as was mentioned above. I have worked out since I had my first baby 38 years ago. I know that has helped, and I lost my baby weight within 6 months of each baby. That being said, I do notice, if my weight gets too low, below 115, then my skin gets looser. If I have my weight at about 120 or above, my skin looks better. I attribute that to having the extra fat(?), to fill it in. Does that make sense to anyone? Plus, since I have gone through my change over 6 years ago, any weight I put on, is in my abs.

Cheryl
all I can say is WOW!!!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 01:43 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

You sound like me, and I haven't lost it yet

I was in my 30s for both, and am 46 now.

But I am trying really hard to kick my workouts into overdrive. Lots of kettle bells, boxing, etc with the clean/lean forbidden topic.

I will let you know!
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 01:14 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Old Thread alert!

I wanted to bump this as it has been one year since I asked this question and wanted to share thoughts and results.

Well, I started with the dry brushing last year. I dry brushed my whole body, but really focused on the stomach area daily last winter and spring. I stopped for awhile in the summer because it seemed even with the central air on the humidity was always in the air and dry brushing with the stiff brush I had actually made me feel kind of itchy. This year, I'm going to try it again with a softer bristle brush during the summer months to see if that helps.

After dry brushing, I put extra virgin coconut oil on my stomach, and mixed some of the coconut oil in with my regular lotion for the rest of the body. I didn't notice any big changes in the stomach for quite awhile, but did notice dry brushing was making my skin softer all over and helping to smooth out the bumps that are ever a problem on the backs of my arms.

Well, this weekend I was bent over in plank and thought "Hmmm, that seems better than I remember it last year". I asked DH to check it out (he knows I've hated the loose hangage) and he said "yeah, it's not bad. Your stomach looks fine to me!" Mind you, it's not perfect and certainly not pre-pregnancy skin but I notice it just doesn't hang as much as it used to. Small improvement better than none!

In the interest of full disclosure, I also did a few other things this year that maybe helped? I started doing more Hiit cardio (seemed to help decrease body fat%), I fell in love with Horizontal Conditioning (which did amazing things to flatten the abs but most especially the oblique work made my middle look more "cinched in"...like a corset). The other thing that changed...diet wise, was that I was forced to omit dairy from my diet. This was not by choice! LOL I developed severe lactose intolerance. However, very shortly after I deleted dairy, within a few weeks, I literally dropped 5 lbs without changing anything else at all. I was pretty shocked, actually.

Okay...there it is: my long winded update! LOL Anybody else do this since this thread last year?
Old 02-26-13, 01:38 PM  
F1mom

I used a skin brush for years then fell away from it, ironically, while pregnant and nursing. I bought a new one from Amazon about a year ago and I do it almost every day. I also use extra virgin olive oil and my skin has really appreciated it. I brush, oil, shower, dry off and that's it. I don't even need lotion now.

My skin is much softer and I've noticed some definite tightening under my arms. I also see a lot less hang in downward dog and plank.

Now that I've added T Tapp I'm interested to see how much tighter the skin gets.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 01:56 PM  
edensmom

F1 mom your avatar is so CUTE!

I'm glad you had good results Colleen! And I just love coconut oil, smells so yummy.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 01:58 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Thank you! The small victories are fun. It definitely has motivated me to keep up with the dry brushing!
Old 02-26-13, 03:23 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Old Thread alert!

I wanted to bump this as it has been one year since I asked this question and wanted to share thoughts and results.

Well, I started with the dry brushing last year. I dry brushed my whole body, but really focused on the stomach area daily last winter and spring. I stopped for awhile in the summer because it seemed even with the central air on the humidity was always in the air and dry brushing with the stiff brush I had actually made me feel kind of itchy. This year, I'm going to try it again with a softer bristle brush during the summer months to see if that helps.

After dry brushing, I put extra virgin coconut oil on my stomach, and mixed some of the coconut oil in with my regular lotion for the rest of the body. I didn't notice any big changes in the stomach for quite awhile, but did notice dry brushing was making my skin softer all over and helping to smooth out the bumps that are ever a problem on the backs of my arms.

Well, this weekend I was bent over in plank and thought "Hmmm, that seems better than I remember it last year". I asked DH to check it out (he knows I've hated the loose hangage) and he said "yeah, it's not bad. Your stomach looks fine to me!" Mind you, it's not perfect and certainly not pre-pregnancy skin but I notice it just doesn't hang as much as it used to. Small improvement better than none!

In the interest of full disclosure, I also did a few other things this year that maybe helped? I started doing more Hiit cardio (seemed to help decrease body fat%), I fell in love with Horizontal Conditioning (which did amazing things to flatten the abs but most especially the oblique work made my middle look more "cinched in"...like a corset). The other thing that changed...diet wise, was that I was forced to omit dairy from my diet. This was not by choice! LOL I developed severe lactose intolerance. However, very shortly after I deleted dairy, within a few weeks, I literally dropped 5 lbs without changing anything else at all. I was pretty shocked, actually.

Okay...there it is: my long winded update! LOL Anybody else do this since this thread last year?
I missed this thread the first time around, so thank you for bumping! It sounds like you are doing well in your update. I wish I could do HC more, but it bothers my wrists.

My abs have always been my problem area and it is scary in plank.

Off to read this thread.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 05:16 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Old tread alert! I'm reviving this thread because of interest in this topic in another thread. I'm on my iphone so I can't figure out how to link it!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-14, 06:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Colleen, I'm glad you've seen improvement! However, you made several substantial changes over that year that you mentioned, namely:
~Dry skin brushing
~Moisturizing with e.v. coconut oil
~Adding more HIIT cardio
~Horizontal Conditioning
~Eliminating dairy from your diet

Not sure you can point to dry skin brushing (or any one of those) and say it was the deciding factor. I'm more inclined to believe it was more to do with your dietary change (which is huge), coupled with HoCo exercises and also the extra cardio. But it was probably everything together. Congratulations!!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose skin, skin brushing, skin brushing blog