Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-12, 02:25 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Anyone ever manage to lose post pregnancy loose skin without surgery?

I'm just curious. It's not super important to me but I'm wondering if it is even possible. I guess I want to know if I should just give up the very thought and accept it is what it is. I searched the internet some but have found conflicting things.

I have a fairly flat stomach when I'm standing. I don't have a 6 pack by any means (would have to drastically change my diet to get my body fat that low). I have muscle though, a fairly strong core despite the slight layer of fat over top. What bothers me is when I bend over, that loose skin that just hangs down after having had my kids. It is downright scary! Part of it may be that I had my kids in my 30's instead of my 20's. I wonder if the skin just doesn't snap back like it used to?

So my question to you guys...Has anyone managed to tighten the skin in the abdomen through diet and exercise? Talking about diet in a general way would be okay but please don't harp on it. I know I could get rid of excess fat that way. What I'm curious about is that loose skin. Thanks!
Old 01-26-12, 02:33 PM  
mandie123

Not that I'am aware of other than surgical or thermage etc.I had mine in my early 20's(gained alot of weight) had alot of loose skin after and tried everything for many years.But than again it even looked bad when I was standing up!
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 02:46 PM  
FitzFour

I had my kids in my 20's and I have the sagging skin (only when I bend over). I have done everything I can, and it doesn't ever get much better. I believe a lot of it has to do with how elastic your skin is (usually hereditary). In my family, loose skin runs rampant! So, I knew, because of my mom's experience with having kids, I'd have loose skin issues. I know people that have had many children, and their skin is just as tight as it was before they had kids, but that seems to run in their family. I wish there was something we could do though, as it's like having a blob hanging from my stomach!
FitzFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 02:50 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Mine is only when I bend over too but it is such a bummer! My poor sister has it much worse though, so maybe there is a hereditary component. I'm just wondering if I need to give up the ghost.
Old 01-26-12, 02:57 PM  
Eibhinn

I don't have any kids, so I can't vouch for this, but I've been doing some research on natural skincare and apparently Rose Hip Seed Oil helps increase collagen production, which is what helps maintain skin elasticity, and which we lose as we get older. You could try using some as a massage oil and see if it makes a difference.

I bought some Rose Hip Seed oil from a soap/candle making company, and so far like the way it makes my skin feel, although I haven't been using it long enough to know how effective it is. It's also referred to sometimes as Rosa Mosqueta oil, but I think some company has now trademarked that name.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:28 PM  
sugarhound

I have two children and still have a flat stomach but........and here is the but...I am a natural pear, have always had a flat stomach. Even when I gain weight, it always go to my hips and thighs. I worked out during my pregnancy until the last week (easily of course) and started again six weeks after having them.

I don't know if it's genetics but my mom always had a small waist but she's a pear too.
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:28 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

When I had my first at 38, the belly became tight again within a year or so. After the 2nd one at 40, even though I lost 50 pounds within a year after that, the belly never really snapped back. So I guess it's a combo of age and heredity.

As for the hanging-down skin, the answer to that is tummy-control yoga pants

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:40 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

My youngest is 3.5 years and I have exactly what you describe. After my first two kids my belly skin was normal but after the third and fourth I have that saggy skin when I bend forward (and don't even mention what it looks like when I'm in plank...never look down when doing plank!!). Like you, I would never surgically do anything to it but if there was a way to bring it back to normal through exercise or some other means I'd be on board! For what it's worth, my mom and sister both have terrible stretch marks so I know I shouldn't complain!
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:51 PM  
Missiscipi

Sorry to say but I spent many years believing once I got down to my goal weight and doing tons of ab work I would be able to tighten the skin. Not even a little I got down to almost 120 and my bodyfat was very low and still had the saggy skin that would flop around in my hands. I had a tummy tuck this past summer (skin only since I had strong ab muscles) and I wish I had done it sooner! My stomach is flat and taut and I can see my ab muscles. Plus I can now wear any kind of bikini bottoms or panties I feel like!

Now I am working on improving my backside and I have a feeling that I have excess skin due to rapid weightloss
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 03:59 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozy View Post
Sorry to say but I spent many years believing once I got down to my goal weight and doing tons of ab work I would be able to tighten the skin. Not even a little I got down to almost 120 and my bodyfat was very low and still had the saggy skin that would flop around in my hands. I had a tummy tuck this past summer (skin only since I had strong ab muscles) and I wish I had done it sooner! My stomach is flat and taut and I can see my ab muscles. Plus I can now wear any kind of bikini bottoms or panties I feel like!

Now I am working on improving my backside and I have a feeling that I have excess skin due to rapid weightloss
Doesn't that leave a huge scar from hip to hip? And goodness gracious, how long before you were able to exercise?

I have the same as many of you, a flat stomach (except for bloat days) with a little roll of soft loose skin right above my c-section scar (I had two of them). I still have a little fat to lose in that area, but the skin feels doughy and totally different than any other area of my body. I don't have a burning desire to wear a bikini bathing suit, so I just wear tankinis with itty bitty bikini bottoms because my butt and legs are my best feature, and don't worry about the little flabby tummy. Only my husband and I have to know
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose skin, skin brushing, skin brushing blog