Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-11, 08:13 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Several random thoughts about this topic...

I personally don't care about clips so much for an instructor that I am familiar with. In Cathe's case, I get her style since I've done her workouts for years. I do completely understand that my opinion is just that, and others use the clips to decide whether or not to purchase. I DO want to see clips for potential new instructors, however, and I think that is how an instructor can build his or her business.

As for the comments that there are always complaints when the clips are released, well, that's just part of business, in my opinion. And yes, I WOULD blame Cathe if that was the ONLY reason for not releasing clips (not that I'm saying that's the reason, I have no idea). It's not like other instructors haven't taken a lot of heat after clips are released (Amy's pink set comes immediately to mind) and a good instructor IMHO listens to the feedback and takes what he/she can from it without seeing it as a personal attack.

The only other point I'd like to make is that many other instructors film only 1 or 2 workouts at a time rather than 10 or 11. There may be an attempt when producing a sort of "series" or collection of workouts to have some sort of common thread which may not be apparent until further along in the editing process. If clips are released too early, the same clip may not even be in the finished product, and people could then feel the product was misrepresented and that would be a whole 'nother poo storm. Just speculation and JMHO, of course!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:26 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree about this one.

You'd think clips would get people excited about your workouts. If the clips are going to be dissected, then so be it - at least people are talking about your product!
Why bother with clips, when NOT having clips gets people discussing

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 08:58 AM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
LOL! True!

I would like to see clips, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I pre-ordered right away because I enjoy almost all of my Cathe workouts, and I'm in dire need (well, want) of more low-impact/high-intensity choices. I'm especially looking forward to her version of barre.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:02 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue b View Post
why bother with clips, when not having clips gets people discussing :d
A lot less work, too!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:15 AM  
fluffydogfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
This is the perfect business plan. I wish I'd thought of it.

I get annoyed at how often SNM misses their deadlines, but I'm not sure if it's really annoyance or jealousy. If I missed my deadlines like that, I'd be out of a job. If I went to my boss and said that I was not going to make my deadline and that I had no idea when my project would be ready but I'd check in with him in two weeks to give him an update that it still isn't ready, I'd be in the unemployment line in a matter of seconds.
I wish I worked for SNM, where you have deadlines that you don't have to meet and there's no accountability for anything. It's always someone else's fault -- weather, injuries, replication process, yadda yadda. Plus, when you work for Cathe, you don't have to proofread what you write, and that sounds quite liberating.
I wonder if she's hiring.

Katie
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:16 AM  
Sass

I look for clips since the whole STS Cardio fiasco. I would have come out cheaper by just buying the three DVDs I kept instead of buying the entire collection through pre-order. That series was not normal Cathe. I haven't pre-ordered, but there are two DVDs that I do want to pre-order though I'd like to see a bitty clip before I do. That's just me.
Old 09-16-11, 09:18 AM  
Pascal

Just some speculations here...

The STS series is not the feather in SNM's cap that I think they expected it to be. It was a great undertaking and I think it is a great series that will definitely garner strength gains (it did for me), but I don't think it sold nearly as well as SNM hoped it would. Again, I have zero proof of this and have no idea how much money they made or how much they expected to make.

Making STS probably cost SNM A LOT of money (even with the repeat footage, I still think that paying for all that custom music (whether you like the music or not) was really expensive and using NFL Productions to film and edit STS was probably not cheap either. They even 'hired' backgrounders and I suspect they were paid more than Cathe's 'regular' backgrounders).

I think SNM looked at all the preorders and figured out how much money they'd made and how much they had to spend on STS.

When Cathe and SNM released clips of STS on their blog (and they released lots of clips and were really excited about them), it seemed like there were more negative comments than positive (hate the music, don't like the backgrounders, can't stand the counting out loud, still moves too fast, etc.).

There were lots of STS preorder cancellations. Some of those cancellations for sure came from a strong dislike of the clips, but I suspect most cancellations came from customers who were sooooooo tired of the length of the presale that they lost interest, moved on to something else, or became irritated by the long, long wait. SNM probably thought the cancellations came from viewing the clips and I think that is why they are hesitant to show clips. Remember when the clips were up at Collage for Shock Cardio and yanked before the day was over? I think SNM worries that preview clips = cancellations.

Again, this is 100% speculation.
Old 09-16-11, 09:23 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Well, I preordered at the last minute and I don't really care about clips. I guess I know from previous preorders (of which, I didn't partake), that this is the way it goes with Cathe. So, when I ordered, I basically forgot about it. When, it shows up, it will be a welcome surprise. I have plenty to keep me busy until it gets here. Plus, I felt that the price was great.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:24 AM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
This is the perfect business plan. I wish I'd thought of it.

I get annoyed at how often SNM misses their deadlines, but I'm not sure if it's really annoyance or jealousy. If I missed my deadlines like that, I'd be out of a job. If I went to my boss and said that I was not going to make my deadline and that I had no idea when my project would be ready but I'd check in with him in two weeks to give him an update that it still isn't ready, I'd be in the unemployment line in a matter of seconds.
I wish I worked for SNM, where you have deadlines that you don't have to meet and there's no accountability for anything. It's always someone else's fault -- weather, injuries, replication process, yadda yadda. Plus, when you work for Cathe, you don't have to proofread what you write, and that sounds quite liberating.
I wonder if she's hiring.

Katie
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Too Funny! And so incredibly true

I just wanted to add in here that I personally am not bothered by the lack of clips or even information (at this moment - I was earlier in the process). I just realized that I love Cathe's workouts and there aren't too many workouts of hers I'm disappointed in. If she were new to me, and I'd never done a workout of hers I'd be desperate for clips and wouldn't have ordered until I saw them. This only works for those of us who know we'll enjoy Cathe's stuff. If they're hoping to gain new customers in this process, I don't think it's going to happen.

And if we get the DVDs by the end of this month, it will still be months and months ahead of what I predicted :P.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-11, 09:28 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Totally agree with Jez. I've even semi-retired some of my Cathe's because of all the high impact so looking forward to these. Would love to see clips, but even without I know Cathe puts out top notch workouts, and if I don't like them I can always sell or swap.

I preordered the set that came with Travel Fit and HiiT, then forgot all about them till a box came to me at work. And so it goes with this set as well. I'll just consider it a nice little surprise when they show up, then preview my little heart out and hope I like them.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe low impact series, cathe preorder, cathe presale