Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-11, 12:43 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
But my 45-year-old sister, mother of two boys, has taught me that space & equipment doesn’t matter. Consistency does. (And you know what else: that which cannot be named here ...) Kelly is unbelieveably curvy & buff … a physique very similar to Halle Berry’s….In fact, during a recent family reunion, the guys were looking at my sister more than the 20 year olds on the beach!.. Yet, for years, Kelly has been doing her own 30-min. workouts in a bathroom with only 4 pairs of dumbbells and an IPOD full of music. (She shakes her head & rolls her eyes at all my equipment and DVDs. lol) … So it just goes to show you …
This idea has definitely helped me let go of a lot of equipment. The key is to work out .... a new toy is fun, but I don't think it's the Holy Grail (at least for me).

A new dvd, on the other hand ....
Old 09-14-11, 03:41 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have equipment all over the house..... Most people probably would not tolerate it. My DH loves that I exercise, so he does not mind at all It is just that we have a smallish two bedroom house. I don't have an exercise room. I have also cut back on buying new equipment, but still get new dvd's from time to time!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-11, 04:09 PM  
cdayley

My workout stuff and treadmill have always been in the family room. My dumbbells are in front of the treadmill; my tall step is by the fish tank; my transfirmer is by the side of the treadmill, and my stab ball balances between the couch and book case. All my DVDs/vids are on the bookshelf. My sewing area takes up about half of the family room, so having workout stuff out is no biggie. Several years ago, DH wanted a weight bench, so we got him one and it is right in the middle of the wall with a tv on one side of it and a book shelf on the other. He now has dumbbells and a barbell in front of the bookcase. We must like to decorate with fitness or something!

Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 01:07 PM  
Hej

I work out in a corner of our open plan living room. I have a TV and a DVD and media players there. Then we put down 3 m x 2 m of double puzzle mats and covered them with 2 cotton area rugs from Ikea. So they stay put.

My husband also built a closet to the side with double doors. He built a lot of shelves inside for all my weights, steps, and other equipment. So when I want to work out, I just open the doors, take out the step(s) but the weights are all already laid out there in the closet. When I'm finished I just put in the steps and close the doors.

Actually, he had to build another small closet for my Fluidity Barre, Bosu and stability balls. Unfortunately there's no room there for my rebounder, so that just has to stay out in the open. That's okay, though because my kids like to jump on it as well.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 01:09 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
I work out in a corner of our open plan living room. I have a TV and a DVD and media players there. Then we put down 3 m x 2 m of double puzzle mats and covered them with 2 cotton area rugs from Ikea. So they stay put.

My husband also built a closet to the side with double doors. He built a lot of shelves inside for all my weights, steps, and other equipment. So when I want to work out, I just open the doors, take out the step(s) but the weights are all already laid out there in the closet. When I'm finished I just put in the steps and close the doors.

Actually, he had to build another small closet for my Fluidity Barre, Bosu and stability balls. Unfortunately there's no room there for my rebounder, so that just has to stay out in the open. That's okay, though because my kids like to jump on it as well.
You do realize you have a keeper, right? This could certainly be a nice part-time job for him ... building storage for the work out at home crowd.
Old 09-15-11, 01:51 PM  
Sung Tse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
Am I too late?

I live in a small 1935 bunglow. I can only work out in a very small area in my den -- and an even tinier area in my bedroom. Here’s how I manage.

Due to space concerns, I deliberately selected all black (or dark gray) pieces so everything at least blends well together (i.e., no more teal / purple / fushia equipment). .... My sister-in-law is a professional artist, and she thinks the k'bell rack looks like a piece of sculpture... Go figure...

IN DEN / TV ROOM:

*Black Ader kettlebell rack with 6 pairs of black kettlebells (on one side of an armoire)
*Black Hampton rack with 8 pairs of dumbbells (on the other side of the armoire)
* 3 body bars beneath bottom shelf of kettlebell rack
*3 black medicine balls
* Inside large antique pine chest: hex dumbbells, gliding disks, Exertubes, yoga blocks, jump rope
* Chin-up bar over doorway

BEDROOM:
[I]Tucked between bed and wall:[/I] Step Co. step, high step & extra risers.
Hidden beneath overlapping bedding in front of a bed: 2 padded Firm barbells
Tucked behind door: Urban Rebounder
Hanging from door: 2 large black yoga totes (with yoga mats/straps)
Dresser drawer: Case Logic book stuffed with 300 workout DVDs (um, thanks, VF!!)

BASEMENT:
Two gray stability balls, 3 Fanny lifters, circa 1994 teal & fushia step with multiple risers, a Firm transfirmer and 3 bicycles.

But my 45-year-old sister, mother of two boys, has taught me that space & equipment doesn’t matter. Consistency does. (And you know what else: that which cannot be named here ...) Kelly is unbelieveably curvy & buff … a physique very similar to Halle Berry’s….In fact, during a recent family reunion, the guys were looking at my sister more than the 20 year olds on the beach!.. Yet, for years, Kelly has been doing her own 30-min. workouts in a bathroom with only 4 pairs of dumbbells and an IPOD full of music. (She shakes her head & rolls her eyes at all my equipment and DVDs. lol) … So it just goes to show you …

No, you're not too late and thank you for the bit about your sis! What an inspiration.

I really was in great shape when I was just rotating the Classic FIRMs with running - VERY minimal equipment! ...

And, I don't know why I never thought of this - putting the puzzle mats UNDER my area rug instead of breaking it apart and sliding it under the sofa and getting a SEPARATE carpet pad! Duh!!!
Old 09-15-11, 03:44 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Part in the living room and part in the guest bedroom.

My LR has a covered shelf with plants on it below the picture window and I have about half my workouts on that and on the floor under it I have most of my weights. In the corner behind the rocking chair I have my yoga mat and Bodybars. The spare BR has an enormous weight rack that DH got me as a gift (I was picturing a tower, this thing takes up a huge amt of space) and my stability ball.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 05:45 PM  
videofit

I store my stuff in the living room behind a screen similar to this.
Old 09-15-11, 07:46 PM  
buffmama

buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 07:47 PM  
buffmama

I used to hid everything in the living room where the TV is - not anymore. The weights are lined up in front, the KBs and Fanny lifter on the side, steps, yoga mats, and stability ball next to a chair leaning against the wall. I'm sure I'll get sick of looking at them at some point. But that might take awhile.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, storage, workout space