Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-11, 12:12 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Awesome - that's wonderful news!!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 11:43 AM  
neatski

Carla and Cassy, yes it's that book. He talks a lot about how a great deal of chronic pain is psychosomatic in origin (the physical "causes" that medical doctors sometimes find are sometimes not causes at all- he talks a lot about misdiagnoses of benign conditions that the pain is attributed to) but that we tend to freak ourselves out about it and make it worse. I have been told not to run anymore and have had it drilled into my head to NEVER run through pain or ignore it, so it took me months to build up the courage to run through the pain and believe that it was not originating in some injury or structural issue. The first few times I tried were very frustrating because the pain came back, but finally, about a week ago, I had the courage to run through it and remind myself that this pain was not real, and it went AWAY- not from endorphins, because the other day i ran again and was finally, finally pain free. My knees both feel great- no aches.

Thanks everyone! I was just so excited.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 12:08 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Carla and Cassy, yes it's that book. He talks a lot about how a great deal of chronic pain is psychosomatic in origin (the physical "causes" that medical doctors sometimes find are sometimes not causes at all- he talks a lot about misdiagnoses of benign conditions that the pain is attributed to) but that we tend to freak ourselves out about it and make it worse. I have been told not to run anymore and have had it drilled into my head to NEVER run through pain or ignore it, so it took me months to build up the courage to run through the pain and believe that it was not originating in some injury or structural issue. The first few times I tried were very frustrating because the pain came back, but finally, about a week ago, I had the courage to run through it and remind myself that this pain was not real, and it went AWAY- not from endorphins, because the other day i ran again and was finally, finally pain free. My knees both feel great- no aches.

Thanks everyone! I was just so excited.
That is great!!!! My library has the book and I am going to read it. I am very happy for you

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 12:17 PM  
slysam

Thanks for sharing!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 03:31 PM  
cardiomama

Wonderful news!
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 04:26 PM  
pattyd0319

I'm happy for you. I wish you many more happy pain-free runs . I'll have to check that book out, it sounds like a great book to have on one's bookshelf.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-11, 07:26 PM  
ooty

woot!

Enoy!
Old 08-21-11, 09:35 PM  
fluffydogfan

I find it fascinating and infuriating how much your head controls your athletic performance.
I competitively weight lift, and I have never gotten a lift that I believed was too heavy for me to complete. Not once.
I also rarely miss a lift that I believe I am strong enough to finish.
I spend a lot of time trying to convince myself into believing I can perform, but I am terrible at changing my own mind. I'm a concrete, practical thinker, and I have no "faith." There's always that voice in my head that tells me the weight is just too heavy for my muscles, that I mechanically can't do it. I can't get that voice to quit talking.

Katie
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
john sarno, knee, knee pain, knee rehabilitation, knee strengthening, knees, running