Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-11, 08:59 PM  
daisysunshine

Question One Disadvantage of Weight Loss: California Raisin Legs

Okay - so. well, as you may or may not know, I'm losing weight, and have lost a lot, but I am starting to get the side effects of weight loss: ugly saggy skin. I know that my skin will bounce back (i'm only 27.... for like one more week), and that I'm doing everything that I should be doing
  • Losing Weight Slowly
  • Drinking lots of water
  • exercising
  • Stretching

but it really just hit me how ... not good looking my legs are. Like. They LOOK like the raisins (if you remember the commericals with the fat purple raisins dancing and singing - that's pretty much my inner thighs right about know when I kneel down or do leg work or downward dog my skin is really wrinkly, puckered and .. well. ugly.

I am really hoping that the more fat I lose is the more they will even out, and just continue to stretch and hydrate and sleep and what not. But this is so not helping my anxiety of losing weight. (I am not handling being small really well. I have issues. )

if anyone has some tips/hints/other suggestions that would be great.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 09:58 PM  
neatski

You didn't mention how much you're losing and what "small" means to you, but personally I enjoy having some bulk on my frame, and adding muscle mass means you won't be as small (and your skin won't have to shrink as much). If you're not doing weight training, I'd add that into your routine.

A lot of people on here have also reported successfully getting rid of loose skin and cellulite with high repetition bodyweight workouts like Tracy Anderson and barre.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:00 PM  
RedPanda

Awww... I'm sending you big hugs...

Honestly, if you're exercising, losing weight slowly, and staying hydrated, there's not much more you can do. Your skin may tighten up a bit with time, but it's really down to luck/genetics.

I've been open about having plastic surgery after weightloss, but it's not for everyone.

That, and getting some lycra workout pants that smooth out the loose skin.

ETA: And as Neatski has said, adding muscle is good for "filling out" your skin.
Old 07-12-11, 10:01 PM  
neatski

Oh my gosh, I forgot to include my hugs too!!!

And also my reminder: we're always our own toughest critics.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:01 PM  
keilan00

Perhaps you can try dry skin brushing.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:02 PM  
daisysunshine

oh i am weight training.
thanks Panda!

when I mean small - i just mean not fat. People are noticing me now and making compliments about my weight loss, and it just makes me uncomfortable.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 10:02 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
And also my reminder: we're always our own toughest critics.
That too.
Old 07-12-11, 10:06 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
when I mean small - i just mean not fat. People are noticing me now and making compliments about my weight loss, and it just makes me uncomfortable.
I'm hearing you. When you lose weight, your brain can take a long time to catch up with your body.

I found it very difficult at first - many people who knew me when I was a Giant Panda didn't recognise me at a smaller size. Very disturbing...
Old 07-12-11, 10:34 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Congrats on your weight loss so far, Daisy and remember that it takes about 9 months (or is it a minimum of 9 months?) for loose skin issues to resolve themselves after weight loss. Sounds like you're doing all the right things; you just have to be patient and see what happens. Luckily, as you say, you're young still!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 11:56 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
ugly saggy skin...(i'm only 27.... for like one more week), and that I'm doing everything that I should be doing
  • Losing Weight Slowly
  • Drinking lots of water
  • exercising
  • Stretching
It's hard to know if you are objective. Frankly, I've never met a 27 y.o. with sagging skin. lol.

On the other hand, you are doing everything right. Be patient with yourself. Then, not only will you have lost the weight you desire and toned your body to your liking, but certainly equally important, if not arguably more important -- you will have learned patience, which no one ever really nails sufficiently.

As others have said, you are doing everything right.

Having said all this, I'll bite. Before school starts again and, if available in your area and you don't have to rob a bank to do it, snag one of one those 30-day Pure Barre membership's to unlimited classes for $100.00 as a science experiment.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose skin, weight loss