Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-11, 04:53 PM  
fatkat555

Bar Method ??

I'm interested in trying these workouts. Anyone have any favorite Bar Method dvds? Any not so favorites? What dvd do you think most embodies their philosophy towards fitness?

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 05:17 PM  
ruthular

I love the Bar Method and I think that all the videos are really good. My least favorite, because it is so hard, is the Dancer's Body. Maybe someday, but not today...

My most recent acquisition is the Beginner Workout. I LOVE it! Don't let the beginner fool you -- it is a solid bar workout. I love the 39 minute length -- great when you don't have a lot of time. I can't comment on SS and SS2 -- haven't tried them.

Accelerated and Change your Body are both great workouts, as well. I still love the old Designer Sculpting and Fat Free, though the newer ones have less set up time. I'm curious what others will say, but I'd go for Beginner unless you want a longer workout...then I'd go with CYB.

Have FUN!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 05:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I'm interested in trying these workouts. Anyone have any favorite Bar Method dvds? Any not so favorites? What dvd do you think most embodies their philosophy towards fitness?
I am a big fan.
Favorites (#1 being highest):
1. Change Your Body
2. Super Sculpting 2
3. Accelerated workout
4. Beginner's workout

I've never tried Designer Sculpting or FF or Super Sculpting 1.
I absolutely loathed Dancer's Body....but perhaps it just caught me on a bad day? I didn't care for anything about it, honestly. Stinky first impression (as opposed to Super Sculpting 2, which had a great first impression, but was still very hard for me).

I think CYB is a good one to start with. Burr is natural here (unlike in SS2 where she's scripted and a bit forced). It's got great moves and is adaptable for more advanced exercisers....but lots of cues for beginners to the method.

Let us know what you try and what you think about it!
ETA: I agree with the recs that ruthular gave...but I always chose Burr b/c she IS Bar Method, LOL.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 12:10 AM  
fatkat555

Thank you so much for the recs on these workouts. I couldn't tell from reviews if Dancer's Body was good or not -seems as if it is so hard that most people don't like it or it has a big dread factor.

Have either of you taken a class at Bar Method? Which dvd would most compare to a class if you were to take one?

The reason I ask is that I've applied as an instructor and I want to really research their method before committing to training. I've exercised my whole life, but not with this method and I'm not certified by any other organization. So I'd be learning from the ground up about this method and wanted to purchase the dvd that most embodied their philosophy and workout style.

I've perused Youtube and the Bar Method website to review any and all clips I can find. I must say that CYB looked the best to me in appealing to my vidiocy. I've got about 3 weeks to make a decision, to try their method, and then give them an answer to continue in the process. I must say that what I've seen is very intruguing and looks like something I'd love to do and teach.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 07-12-11, 08:58 AM  
JustSandra

If you are looking into being a Bar Method instructor, I think you should definitely get Dancer's Body, as by all accounts it is the most like an actual Bar Method class.

I've never had the opportunity to take a live class at the Bar Method, but I've taken a few at The Dailey Method and they are harder than most barre DVDs.

I'd also suggest you get one of the DVDs led by Burr herself since she created The Bar Method. Change Your Body would be a good choice.

Good luck!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 09:04 AM  
azuniga

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Thank you so much for the recs on these workouts. I couldn't tell from reviews if Dancer's Body was good or not -seems as if it is so hard that most people don't like it or it has a big dread factor.

Have either of you taken a class at Bar Method? Which dvd would most compare to a class if you were to take one?

The reason I ask is that I've applied as an instructor and I want to really research their method before committing to training. I've exercised my whole life, but not with this method and I'm not certified by any other organization. So I'd be learning from the ground up about this method and wanted to purchase the dvd that most embodied their philosophy and workout style.

I've perused Youtube and the Bar Method website to review any and all clips I can find. I must say that CYB looked the best to me in appealing to my vidiocy. I've got about 3 weeks to make a decision, to try their method, and then give them an answer to continue in the process. I must say that what I've seen is very intruguing and looks like something I'd love to do and teach.
Since you have applied to become an instructor at the Bar Method, I would highly recommend the Dailey Method and Dancer's Body. I recently took BarreAmped training which is very similar to the Bar Method and I was humbled! I thought I knew a lot about barre and clearly I had a lot more to learn. I had been doing barre for a little over a year and got corrected a lot on my form. Practice on your form and take notes on how the instructors correct and cue the exercises. GOOD LUCK!!!!
azuniga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 11:17 AM  
fatkat555

Thanks for the advice! So Dancer's Body would be most like a class? And this is the most feared of the group? LOL! I'm in trouble.

Well, it looks like I'll be getting Dancer's Body and CYB for now.

Old 07-12-11, 05:11 PM  
ruthular

Looks like you're on your way! Good luck. If you want to be an instructor definitely get something with Burr. I just realized, after reading this thread, that I wouldn't have loved beginner nearly as much if I weren't already so familiar with Burr. Keep us posted about the training!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 12:53 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthular View Post
Looks like you're on your way! Good luck. If you want to be an instructor definitely get something with Burr. I just realized, after reading this thread, that I wouldn't have loved beginner nearly as much if I weren't already so familiar with Burr. Keep us posted about the training!
I'll keep you posted. I'm not sure if I fit their idea of what an instructor should be. I'm 45, with 4 kids, and have to color my hair frequently. I'm no spring chicken, in other words. I haven't had formal dance training, either, but have exercised most of my life. It's been hard to keep up with fitness in the past few years. My kids are young, but are old enough now to where I can start doing things like teaching a class. So... I'll have to wait and see what their reaction is when I do finally have a sit-down meeting with the owner of the studio.

Old 07-13-11, 09:19 AM  
JustSandra

I'm happy to hear you are giving this a shot!

At The Dailey Method they state their students range in age from 14 into their 70s. Re The Bar Method, Burr Leonard herself is now in her mid-60s! In her Bar Method videos she's had cast members who are mothers. In other words, barre workouts can benefit people of all ages.

I think the life experience you would bring to teaching would be very inspirational to your students. I'm in my mid-50s and my joints can no longer handle the heavy weight lifting I used to love, but I do very well with barre-type workouts and I believe other women my age would also find these workouts effective and doable. I believe your presence at a Bar Method studio would be an asset to their staff in attracting older students.

Again, good luck and keep us posted -- you are going for a goal that a lot of us only fantasize about!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method, joey decker, tbm, tbm beginner's workout, the bar method