Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-11, 11:31 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickets View Post
I'll try to address the questions that were up the thread - apologies if I miss anything...

Fun factor: I was extremely nervous (this was the first workout of the trip, and I had never been to one of them before), and was intently focused on trying to hear her cues, but I did enjoy it nonetheless. People have different ideas about what constitutes a "fun" workout, though...

Paper plates: Yes, we did work with the paper plates, which I LOVE. I have a much easier time activating my glutes with gliding disc work than with regular squats/lunges.

Length: I am in the same boat as those who prefer longer workouts with premix options, so I was disappointed to hear they would be less than an hour. But, as we can all see even in this thread, a lot of people are looking for something shorter. As long as the finished workouts are as tough as that little sample I got, I guess it won't be a problem for me.

Intensity: For those of you expressing concern that the workout might not be intense enough...let me just say this: when I do Cathe's HIIT workouts, my peak heart rate is generally in the 168-172 bpm range. When I was doing this Athletic Training workout at the road trip, I looked down at my HRM at one point and my heart rate was at 168. So...as high as it gets with HIIT. And it was the best calorie burn of any workout I have done in the entire 2 years that I have been tracking my data. So, if the finished product is anything like the class, it will be plenty intense. Well, for me, certainly!

As for the road trip experience itself, well, it was mostly good. I met some people whom I really liked and with whom I plan to stay in touch. And it was an awesome challenge to try to get through 3 Cathe workouts in a single day - I'm not sure I would have been able to make myself do that on my own, at home. I was insanely sore at some points, but the feeling of accomplishment was pretty great.
rickets - thanks for answering the questions. That's great that you were brave enough to go on a road trip. I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:41 AM  
mle777

Wow, I'm amazed that so many of you have time to do an hour workout. I already have to get up at 5am to squeeze in my workout. I can do about 45 minutes max. I'd have to get up at 4:45am or earlier to get in an hour. After 5:45am, my day is consumed by a 1 1/2 hour commute, work, and kids. 40 minutes sounds sort of heavenly

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:42 AM  
unfetteredpast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spufflez View Post
I have a question to anybody who's gone on Cathe's roadtrips before. If you don't like a workout offered, is there a workout room that you can go to with treadmills, etc. to workout while waiting to rejoin the group? Or are you stuck waiting in the room until the workout is over?
The roadtrips in NJ are held at Cathe's gym (Four Seasons Health Club), so you could use the equipment if you didn't want to take the class.

The roadtrips where Cathe has traveled (San Diego, Houston, Orlando) are held at large hotels/conference centers, so the options would probably be limited to whatever fitness room the hotel had.

Usually, people attending road trips are there to attend a Cathe workout in person and would do whatever class she's offering. She could do a class on pruning shrubbery and the faithful would attend.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 11:51 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni View Post
Really glad I cancelled! I wonder if Cathe can only come up with material for 40 minute workouts.
I was wondering the same thing.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 12:59 PM  
Conni

[Usually, people attending road trips are there to attend a Cathe workout in person and would do whatever class she's offering. She could do a class on pruning shrubbery and the faithful would attend.[/QUOTE]

LOL!!
Old 07-07-11, 01:03 PM  
spufflez

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
The roadtrips in NJ are held at Cathe's gym (Four Seasons Health Club), so you could use the equipment if you didn't want to take the class.

The roadtrips where Cathe has traveled (San Diego, Houston, Orlando) are held at large hotels/conference centers, so the options would probably be limited to whatever fitness room the hotel had.

Usually, people attending road trips are there to attend a Cathe workout in person and would do whatever class she's offering. She could do a class on pruning shrubbery and the faithful would attend.

I don't like step and I would look horribly uncoordinated attempting it the first time in a live setting. I just don't feel like spending the next 2 weeks learning any basic step routines.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 01:23 PM  
steakhousegirl

I think the trend these days is for SHORTER workouts. I did a 5 month Turbo fire rotation and tomorrow I finish my 3 month S90 rotation. Both shorter workouts. I am ALL for shorter, effective workouts. I sampled the last set of Cathe's and didn't care for them but I am jazzed about the new set and I pre-ordered.

Thanks Rickets for you review!!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 01:49 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhousegirl View Post
I think the trend these days is for SHORTER workouts. I did a 5 month Turbo fire rotation and tomorrow I finish my 3 month S90 rotation. Both shorter workouts. I am ALL for shorter, effective workouts. I sampled the last set of Cathe's and didn't care for them but I am jazzed about the new set and I pre-ordered.

Thanks Rickets for you review!!
True, the trend may be towards shorter workouts. Nothing wrong with that, especially if they are intense.

From a consumer's value standpoint, however, would you rather have a DVD with a 65-min workout, and (let's say) 3 40-min premixes, or a DVD with a single 40-min workout (possibly with some lame shorter premixes thrown in)?

With a few minutes of bonus material and some good editing, the 65-min workout can have a variety of shorter workouts which are different enough to feel like unique workouts. Best examples of this are some of Cathe's old workouts.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 01:55 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
that's howI feel, too. Ican only do 60 min. workouts on weekends, and I've been frustrated that sometimes even Cathes timesaver premixes have been pushing 60 min.!
This is me as well. But I find on the weekends especially this time of year, I'd rather take it outdoors with tennis or a bike ride vs workouts. Cathe's workouts IMO are too long. The thought of her sticking to the 40 min range in addition to the Low Impact is what got me at first. I have since cancelled for many reasons including not interested in the workouts and I'm moving out of my Cathe-lovefest-phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
Longer premixes would be nice, if the main workouts are 40-ish minutes.

But it seems to me like earlier Cathe workouts did better jobs with premixes than more recent ones.

For example, I was thinking of doing an upper-body workout using "High Reps" and the upper-body-only premix not only does large muscle groups last, but doesn't have any back work in it. That's got to be an 'oopsie' (though SnM would never admit it). There is an 'upper body first' premix, but it's got the same smaller-muscle-groups-first order.
I got rid of or am in the process of getting rid of the last 4 she produced for this reason. I can handle buying her 60+ minute workouts if her premixes are good, plentiful, and fit into ANY schedule. As we all know, not everyone has 60 minutes to workout or they just don't want to. Her premixes other than STS TB were all 50+ minutes and yes, left out muscle groups. Boo! STS TB for me didn't appeal like I thought it would. The setting was also too crowded and uses too much equipment. I'm trying to become a semi-minimalist.

Oh, I also have to add that I agree with others about the price. $22.95 is too much for her shorter workouts. I waited until there was sale to try some of the STS Cardio workouts. I wasn't going to shell that kind of cash out for something that didn't have premixes. I wasn't really a fan of KCM, I like her, but she wasn't a top 3 for me. Now, I can appreciate her even more!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 02:00 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Speaking of the Roadtrip, there was a link to a Cathe page with links to photos. There are some absolutely adorable photos of families with Mickey and Minnie. It also looked like a nice crowd, not huge, but nice.

And meh on the 8 and 10 inch step. Honestly, doesn't that just defeat the purpose a tiny bit- being joint friendly (and means more of the same from Cathe.) OK, still hope for the step workouts. Not sure what Cardio Supersets are.
AS someone with knee issues and surgical history, anything over 6 inches for step aerobics is too much for me. I can do slower strength moves on an 8 and 10 inch, but with the pulses and sometimes tweaky/fast moves she uses, that would be too high for me and my joint issues. I can't even use the fanny lifter with the firm workouts and they tend to be a little slower than Cathe and not nearly as many reps. If her pace is slower than usual then for most it might not be any issue. But as soon as I read that, I had another reason to be thankful I cancelled.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe preorder, cathe presale, cathe road trip