Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-11, 01:07 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Speaking of the Roadtrip, there was a link to a Cathe page with links to photos. There are some absolutely adorable photos of families with Mickey and Minnie. It also looked like a nice crowd, not huge, but nice.

And meh on the 8 and 10 inch step. Honestly, doesn't that just defeat the purpose a tiny bit- being joint friendly (and means more of the same from Cathe.) OK, still hope for the step workouts. Not sure what Cardio Supersets are.
Lynn - that's an excellent point. I really hope they come out with clips before they ship. I might cancel my preorder.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 01:38 AM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarboe View Post
I agree! I want LONG workouts. If I need to stop early for some reason I will. But please, keep the long workouts. When the workouts are too short I feel like I have to break out another DVD. Darn.
Yes! I feel the same as I prefer to do an hour's cardio when working out to a DVD. I find with Cathe's newer offerings like Athletic Step and Step Moves that I have to combine two workouts. Actually I find myself revisiting CTX as these short cardios are good add- ons.

I was really hoping that these Cathe's would be 60min with premixes offering options for shorter workouts.

I hope these workouts will be extra intense if they are shorter in length.
Old 07-07-11, 01:45 AM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

[QUOTE=rickets;1844275]

The other tidbit I got, during a Q&A session, was that the Low Impact series will mostly be in the 40 minute range, because customers do not seem to want the longer 60-minute workouts anymore. She did say that at least one of the workouts will be close to an hour long, but that most were shorter than that.

Which customers did they ask before deciding this I wonder?
Old 07-07-11, 08:36 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
And meh on the 8 and 10 inch step. Honestly, doesn't that just defeat the purpose a tiny bit- being joint friendly (and means more of the same from Cathe.) OK, still hope for the step workouts. Not sure what Cardio Supersets are.
From what it sounds like (the description above), the 8-10 inch step is used for step-up kind of moves rather than cardio step moves, or more like Firm step or Kathy Smith's Buns, Hips and Thighs workout. If that's the case, it wouldn't be 'joint unfriendly'. (I'm wondering more about torquey moves, as Cathe's earlier 'Low Impact" step workouts still had those in, and I find those more unfriendly to the knee than impact itself).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 08:40 AM  
bearcatfan

I hope these are good workouts, for the sakes of those who are looking forward to them.

The tidbit above, however, solidifies my decision to cancel my preorder. Here we are, mid-July --- and Cathe's latest email said the current presale offer of free glide discs ends July 27 --- so it's high time to put an end to the speculation and start putting out clips or better descriptions.
Old 07-07-11, 08:43 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
... it's high time to put an end to the speculation and start putting out clips or better descriptions.
I still don't understand why they couldn't at least have some stilll photos from the filming or rehearsals by now.

Old 07-07-11, 08:57 AM  
Pascal

I went back and read the descriptions of the workouts again and a lot of these sound like they lend themselves to a 60 min. workout. It's hard (though not impossible) to get in a thorough cardio/lower/upper body circuit workout in 40 min. And I agree with all the posters who said that if these workouts are 40 min, they will have to add another workout. And if the warmups are 5 min and stretches are 5 min, that leaves only a 30 min workout!!!

I have this feeling that Cathe is hip to scuttlebutt and interest in Kelly's 30 MTF workouts and Insanity which are shorter than 60 min. HOWEVER - Insanity is HIIT, which is almost always under 60 min. And Kelly always has two workouts per 30 MTF workout so you're really getting 60 min of workouts (plus she almost always includes a bonus chapter). Will Cathe include bonus chapters on these DVDs for premix purposes?

I am really disappointed. And will probably cancel my preorder. (Something I have NEVER done before.)

Again, I have yet to see any of these workouts so I could be pleasantly surprised (if I do indeed keep my preorder), but I am WAY less excited about these workouts now that I know they will be short.
Old 07-07-11, 09:03 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Well, for my part, I am really looking forward to this series. LIC and Low Impact Step are two of my favorites of Cathes. I appreciate the disappointment of those who wanted longer workouts, but many are really looking for something shorter, so these just might fit the bill.

If Cathe is constraining herself to shorter workouts without impact, that is a challenge, and I am excited to see how she meets it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 09:07 AM  
muffins135

I cancelled my pre-order yesterday. I just don't reach for Cathe's workouts anymore. I may buy individual workouts from this series once I see clips.
Michele
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 09:12 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I went back and read the descriptions of the workouts again and a lot of these sound like they lend themselves to a 60 min. workout. It's hard (though not impossible) to get in a thorough cardio/lower/upper body circuit workout in 40 min. And I agree with all the posters who said that if these workouts are 40 min, they will have to add another workout.
Makes me wonder if they will have short/insufficient cooldowns, like some of the STS cardio workouts, in order to fit the timeframe?

Shorter workouts do seem to be a trend, but unfortunately, some instructors (not just Cathe) shorten the workouts by leaving something out. I just did Amy Dixon's "Kickin' Strength" yesterday, which is a 40-minute workout that has less than a minute of cooldown consisting primarily of taking two deep breaths. To get a stretch, you have to do the 'bonus' core and stretch segment. What's up with that?

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe preorder, cathe presale, cathe road trip