Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-18-11, 12:57 PM  
Scoop

Adult Ballet or Gymnastics

I've been thinking about possibly taking an adult ballet or gymnastics class. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken such a class or how I might be able to find a class? It seem like most of the ballet and gymnastics schools only offer classes for kids and teens.

Thanks!
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:17 PM  
SurferGirl

Whenever I was looking for adult ballet classes, I just called around to different studios and asked. Unfortunately, it's very rare to find adult classes around where I live. I haven't tried in a few years. I would love to take an adult ballet class.

In fact, when I was in my early 20's, I took a kids ballet class(the teacher allowed me to join in). It was all pre-teens. I felt so awkward, that I dropped it. That was really stupid. If I continued to go, I'd probably have a good 10-15 years training under my belt now(and probably a nice shape too).
Old 04-18-11, 01:39 PM  
carole r.

I took an adult ballet class recently that just happened to be at the same studio and same time as DDs class. It was called "stretching" but was in fact a ballet class. I really liked it and it was great to have only other adults in the class. In addition to barre work they also did floor exercises like you see in the barre video workouts they have now. Of course they did a lot of stretching and some pilates exercises. I also joined in with the girls ballet classes sometimes, but pirouettes and turns made me dizzy.
I've never taken a regular gymnastics class, but I did take rhythmic gymnastics for a few months at the rec center. That was so much fun and very different. I was the only adult there, though. The coach really encouraged me to keep coming.
To find classes, try your parks and rec center or your local dance studios. Or you can go online and do a search and see what comes up. Good luck! I would love to take adult ballet classes again,but there reallly aren't any near where I live. I've had to make due with exercise DVDs and Isculpt ballets.
Old 04-18-11, 02:57 PM  
Eibhinn

I've found adult ballet classes are often offered at University gyms/dance studios, but less commonly at "normal" ballet studios. I used to do gymnastics but I haven't been able to find any adult gymnastics classes - I think they're even less common. We do have at least one circus school around here who does adult stuff, so some similarities there. I think there is a bit of a trend for adults to take circus arts lately, so that might be an option if you're interested in trying silks or something. I actually have no idea how common circus schools are in the US, but they seem to be more common here in Canada, possibly in part due to the Cirque de Soleil influence.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 04:31 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I have taken adult dance classes at different places depending on where I lived. In California, it was really convenient and inexpensive to take classes while I was in college. After graduating, I still enrolled in college classes in junior colleges (community).

In Utah, it's expensive to take college classes unless you're already enrolled in college (maybe I was just used to California prices). But I am able to find classes by calling different dance studios. Sometimes, I do have to take classes with teenagers or women in their early 20's. I also tried taking classes at rec centers but they tend to be at a beginner level so I didn't stay.
Old 04-22-11, 09:57 PM  
actionwoman
VF Supporter

I just started taking ballet in February. I live in Hong Kong and take a class with mostly adults but there are some teens in it as well and the syllabus is Royal Academy of Ballet level 3 (style of ballet).

I love it SO much - it's such a great workout, I sweat like crazy and it's really satisfying to see improvement and become more graceful.

I've gotten a lot of information on dance.net - there is an adult ballet section and a beginner's section. I recently visited NYC and took a bunch of adult beginner classes based on the rec's from that site and I was very happy with all the instructors I was advised to try.

Good luck! If you can't find a class, I highly recommend the Finis Jhung dvds, David Howard, and Dmitri Roudnev. I just took a live class with Finis Jhung tonight and I actually think his dvds are better.
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 10:43 PM  
butterflygirl

I couldn't find adult classes either. My local dance studio allowed me to take lessons with the pre-teens. The age difference didn't bother me, but the level wasn't basic enough for me—I can do basic barre and a few steps, but the centre work was a bit beyond me. And my instructor had good experience, but not the best teacher. I wanted a more disciplined, focused class. I think my expectations of finding a devoted Joffrey/Finis Jhung/Dmitri Roudnev style adult class were too high. He-he

I have to second what actionwoman recommended for DVDs! Amazing teachers. If you have a good mirror and those DVDs, and really tune into your body and form, you'll probably be better off than taking lessons at dance studio. Dmitri Roudnev's are on my buy list.

As for gymnastics... being a former gymnast, I have to say you really do need an instructor and gym for this. I think the risk for injury in gymnastics is great, and thus the need for good instruction and spotting is essential. You should be able to find a good coach who would be willing to give you lessons, if they don't already have an adult gymnastics class in your area. Personally, I never found anything more thrilling than hurtling myself through the are and doing cartwheels—not even ballet matches it for me.

"I'm not wearing Spanx. I'm wearing Pure Barre! " - Me

"I don't watch the scale. I watch what I eat, what I do, and what I look like in the mirror." - Me
butterflygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:14 AM  
kat_b

When the last Olympics was on I tried in vain to find an adult gymnastics class close to DC. There was one gym ~90 minutes away in rush hour that had something on their web page, but I didn't pursue it.

I do have a few suggestions: acrobatics (if you're in a big city, you may have a trapeze place) and bouldering/rock climbing. Also, I've not tried it, but some MMA stuff looks like it has tumbling.

One of the reasons I fell in love with kettlebells is they make me feel like I did when I was a gymnast: athletic & strong, but compact & flexible.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:11 AM  
actionwoman
VF Supporter

I also recommend any floor barre dvd. I just bought the Stephen Dalle one, which is only available via the Yumiko dancewear site or at their NYC shop but the Zena Rommett ones are available on amazon as is another instructor.

You do barre work and stretches lying on the floor so you have perfect alignment, which is supposed to help you when you're on your feet. I've taken a class and will try out the dvd next week.

You can see clips here of the Zena Rommett dvds:

http://www.floor-barre.org/Floor-Barre/HOME.html
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:33 AM  
Verine
VF Supporter

I live in NYC, where there are many, many dance classes for adults. However, there tend to be more classes for people who have previous dance experience than for absolute beginners. I took beginning ballet at the 92nd Street Y for 2 years and I really enjoyed it, but I couldn't move on to the next level, which assumed you had been dancing for years. Do you have a YMCA in your area? That might be a place to check.

I've only seen gymnastics (and aerial trapeze!) offered at one place, Chelsea Piers, and it's very expensive.

Good luck!

Christina
Verine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adult classes, ballet, ballet classes, dancing, gymnastics