Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-11, 01:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristn02 View Post
hmmm. I'm new to barre as well and just ordered P57. Are there any other good videos you guys can recommend for learning proper form? TIA!
I'm another that'll say Bar Method CYB is great....but if I was new to barre, I'd probably get BM Beginner's workout with Joey Decker (I think his instruction was as good as--or better for some moves-- than Burr.) Plus it's a short workout, which is nice to have sometimes!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 01:35 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Steph, if money's an issue I'm guessing there are form tips on the internet (YouTube, etc).
That's a good idea! I love these two free vignettes from Core Fusion on YogaVibes:

Parallel Plié (note that they are not in favor of the "hip shaking" pliés à la P57: http://www.yogavibes.com/videos/watc...2-vignette-1b/
Pretzel: http://www.yogavibes.com/videos/watc...2-vignette-2b/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristn02 View Post
hmmm. I'm new to barre as well and just ordered P57. Are there any other good videos you guys can recommend for learning proper form? TIA!

ETA- I have the fluidity set that came with the bar. Do these offer enough pointers to get me ready?
If you already have Fluidity I think it is sufficient to learn basic form. Then you can take it up a notch with Erica (she's advanced, you know )
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 02:25 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Fred is adorable and I LOVE the rapport he has with his wife. I *wish* I loved their workouts, LOL.

Especially funny, the part where he showed the wrong way to do parallel thigh...and said "but it was kinda fun for a minute"...too cute.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 02:27 PM  
cmarsh4

I am new to Barre and just got Barre3. I have used it twice and although it is good I just dont feel worked out enough. I have P57 volume 2 coming and I hope I like them. I might trade my Barre3 for one that moves just a little faster(or at least more reps) but still has good pointers, any suggestions would be nice.
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 02:51 PM  
acta5534

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
I am new to Barre and just got Barre3. I have used it twice and although it is good I just dont feel worked out enough. I have P57 volume 2 coming and I hope I like them. I might trade my Barre3 for one that moves just a little faster(or at least more reps) but still has good pointers, any suggestions would be nice.
You should get a really good workout from P57. If you're looking for more challenge but a quieter setting, Leah Sarago's balletbody downloads are GREAT! Only problem is that you will have to download them and either view them from your computer, or burn them to a dvd if you want to view it on your television.
acta5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 02:57 PM  
marissajd

Co-signing on the recommendation of CF Body Sculpt to learn proper form. The TBMs are also excellent, but I'd give the nod to CF b/c it's cheaper and more widely available (Amazon, netflix, public libraries...).
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:15 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
If you already have Fluidity I think it is sufficient to learn basic form. Then you can take it up a notch with Erica (she's advanced, you know )
I am no barre expert like Fuzzie but I was going to say the same thing. I am not a big fan of barre workouts and got rid of my Fluidity DVDs but they are fine to learn form.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:28 PM  
txfitmom

I just wanted to respond to your concern about using barre with weight workouts, etc. Even though I am currently doing a Tracey Anderson/P57 rotation, I am still allowing 1-2 days a week with a heavier weights workout. I also do a 15-20 minute fun workout in the morning that is anything from dance to aerobics, kickboxing or even pilates. I think variety is important and especially for me since I get bored so easily.

Here is an example of my workouts for this week:

Monday: Crunch Yoga Body Sculpt, 30 minutes on treadmill, KCM Muscle Definition
Tuesday: Cardio For Beginners, TA Mat workout, 60 minutes on treadmill
Wednesday: Billy Blanks Jr. Groove and Burn, P57 Classic, 60 minutes on treadmill
Thursday: Exercise TV Incredible Abs, TA Postpregnancy Workout, 60 minutes on treadmill
Friday: Self Bikini Ready Fast, P57 Classic, 60 minutes on treadmill
Saturday: P57 Arm and Ab Booster and/or Heavy Weights (not sure which one yet)
Sunday: Walking 60-90 minutes

Right now I am trying to include at least one day of heavier weights per week, two days if possible.

I have also been tossing around the idea of doing a rotation like this:
Monday: Heavy weights and cardio
Tuesday: TA Mat or PP and cardio
Wednesday: P57 and cardio
Thursday: Heavy weights and cardio
Friday: TA Mat or PP and cardio
Saturday: P57 and cardio
Sunday: Cardio only
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:31 PM  
StephE

Wow! Thank you all so much! Some really helpful advice here!! And thanks for the links that some of you posted. I really appreciate it!

Well, I'm thinking I might just go ahead and order another workout for form pointers. I don't know. Or I may just wait and see what I think of P57 first and get a mirror like someone suggested and really watch the DVDs first for form. But more than likely I'll just get another DVD to learn the form. So, from previewing some of the workouts, I'm still sort of leaning towards The Bar Method "Change Your Body" DVD. And then there's the Beginner workout also from Bar Method. From reading many Barre threads recently, it seems that CYB is still recommended more than the Beginner Bar Method workout to learn form. If deciding between those two, should I just go with CYB?? I think I read somewhere that the Beginner workout leaves out some main exercises. I think I read it leaves out the pretzel??.. whatever the heck that is! LOL!

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

ETA: I meant to add that I'm so glad to see that many of you combine Barre with other weight workouts like FIRM and KCM. This makes me happy! LOL! I know I would miss those other workouts too much if I had to stop them for awhile.

Exercise is THERAPY for all the challenges and trials life throws my way!!
StephE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:49 PM  
FitJosee

I'm also very interested in Barre WO now that I've read a few threads. I'm getting Barre3 in a SASE. I can't wait to try it! Thank you all for the great info!

Tags
barre, barre for beginners, barre recommendations, barre rotation, joey decker