Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-10, 01:45 PM  
devadiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I think too many people look to be "entertained" with exercise, and that's why they end up bored or burned out.

I approach my excercising as a daily habit. I am not doing it to have fun, although I enjoy it. I am not doing it so I can hear fabulous music or because I love the way the instructor sounds or looks in the DVD. I do it because it's what I do every day. Does that make sense?

When I exercise I am thinking about the effect it has on my body. It makes me healthy and happy. There's no way to bet bored with that mind set because boredom doesn't even figure in to my way of thinking.

My advice is to stop trying to find workouts that are fun and entertaining and different and exciting. ALL working out should feel that way because of the end result... not focusing on the immediate feeling of having fun.

Just another way to look at things!
I agree with this completly and would add if tis fun its even better. I too love CLX and am finishing my 4 th round and love the shorter workout BECAUSE it does give me the time to do another workout everyday IF I have the energy {now I am back to work it is not everyday like I love but most days. Although they are longer and fairly intensehave you tried PEAK 10's or Cathe Cardio Core they are what i am doing with ClLX and I am seeing great results.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 02:32 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I'm bored with exercise

Me too.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:03 PM  
cmarsh4

I have a little different suggestion than others. I had fell off the exercise bandwagon due to boredom and life getting in the way and P90X has been great helping me get back into a routine. I dont have to come home after work and wonder what I am going to do and then choose nothing. I love that I know every day what I am going to do and yes the workouts are long but they fly by. Even though it is kicking my butt I am looking forward to exercising every evening and that hasnt happened in a long while. Good Luck!!
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:12 PM  
Fitstick

I agree with some of what others have said - change it up a bit. Take a live class instead of doing videos, sometimes when I attend a live cardio kickboxing class or zumba class it re-energizes me. Do something outdoors if that is what you like. Stick to videos that are shorter if that is what works for you right now. Sometimes I do workouts that are more "fun" when I am feeling a lack of motivation. I try something new, I pull out a BOSU video or a dance video or an old favorite. There are so many choices. Good luck.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 03:18 PM  
Jules

Why not try something new? Maybe take a dance class, do a team sport, find a workout buddy, try kettlebells (if you haven't), or get outside and skate or ski? Sticking to short, intense workouts is good too because you still get all the benefits of exercise with less dread factor.

ETA: I didn't see Fitstick's reply before I posted almost the same response-lol!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 08:22 PM  
RachelleS

I see I should have reread my post - I meant start a fourth round of CLX.

Exercise is a part of my life and I would say a habit. Lord knows I would have quit a long time ago if I was doing it for the way it made my body look. At 200 pounds, if I concentrated on how it made my body feel, I would quit. Ewww. Not even going there. Now hopefully it has made the inside of my body healthier then it would be if I wasn't exercising. I hope. I'm exercising even though I'm not enjoying it right now - I just want to enjoy it. I want to have fun with it. Even if the workout is a killer, I want the "it makes me feel good" feeling. And I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to do something, I want to feel like I WANT to do it. There is enough other stuff I have to do in my life.

I do need to find something else - a gym or class isn't for me though. Exercising with a group of people was never my favorite thing to do although I would go with a friend years ago to step classes. I also did the water aerobics and a few classes at the Y here and there. Now that I'm heavier, I'm too self conscious to be in workout clothes in front of people. Plus I'm a night exerciser - 9:00 is usually when I get started.

I have worn a bodybugg since February 2009 and I'm heavier then when I started - it does help me though get my 10,000 steps in a day. I haven't worn it the past two weeks - probably around the same time exercise started becoming blah. I don't know that I will renew my subscription in February.

Thank you Mrs. CLX spoiled me. I do think that has been the happiest I have ever been excerise wise. There is something about lifting two 35 pound weights that makes you feel awesome!!!

I am going to have to pull out P90X - I loved how I didn't have to pick a workout out with CLX other than what cardio to add or what interval workout to do. And maybe if I just mix in other cardio with P90X, I can make sure I don't burn myself out by just using one instructor.

I also need to find some dance workouts like Cardio Axe.

Debbie, I have talked about doing a halfsies rotation for a long time - seriously, it is a mind thing. I remember someone saying that you won't get the results by doing a halfsies rotation- and I know that is dumb of me to even have stuck in my head when I'm not working out for results. I think I always have that hope though that I will find the key that unlocks my mind and finally everything will click and the weight will come off. I know deep inside though that it won't be a workout that does that - as long as I'm moving, my body doesn't know how - just that it is. Like how you told me once that my body doesn't know if I'm using resistance bands or hand weights - how true that is. It's the same thing with exercise.

Thank you for all the suggestions and ideas. And even though I wish others weren't feeling the same, it is nice to know I'm not the only one going through this. I know it could be so much worse - I could have quite exercising all together and I haven't done that. It is too much a part of my life and helps my mood - my kids and hubby have been known to ask if it is time for me to workout when I get a tish too crabby! LOL I think the weather change hasn't helped - now with the snow and freezing weather, the blahs have set in and for some reason have poured over to the exercise department.

If I figure out the answer, I will share!

I have Peak 10, Rockin Models, maybe some other Ellen Barrett's (I have Skinny Sculpt), Tonique, Pure Bare 16th Street, and Jackie Warner's Xtreme Timesaver on my wish list.

Thank you again. It is so nice to have a place to come to where others understand and can help. The Exercise Doctors!

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 09:33 PM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Rachelle,

I was going to suggest Ellen Barrett. That would be a nice change from the heavy lifting and intense workouts you've been doing. I find that, when I really have the blahs, Ellen always gets me moving and enjoying exercise again. Obviously, you won't be dripping wet with sweat when you're done, but I always feel thoroughly worked and I definitely feel good. I like the sets, the music and, most especially Ellen herself. If you haven't tried Ellen, I think you should.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-10, 12:06 AM  
RachelleS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Wow, your post really hit home because its exactly what I'm going through right now. So know you aren't alone when feeling like this. I even sold alot of exercise videos and DVD's that I just didn't do anymore. I thought by getting rid of some of my overwhelming collection it would help me get motivated. But sadly,this didn't help. I still feel bored.

What I've been doing is just getting a pile of my workout dvd's and just do it. If I hate it or was bored or felt like I would rather do a different workout, then bye bye. I put it in my trade pile or sell pile.

Then I tried some older workouts I hadn't done like the Firm classics but they brought back bad memories of the past.

What has helped me just the past couple days are new workouts i haven't done before. Its exciting getting a new workout and motivates me to workout. I actually enjoyed my workout today doing Firm Cardio Overdrive with Alison. It was nice working out with a new totally different instructor without killing myself.
Or also looking through Cathe's premixes that I've never tried. Like tonight, I saw her Scrambled Eggs premix on the Body Max 2 DVD that looked interesting. Looks tough but i could modify.

I am tired spending money on workouts that I don't like. I tried Billy Blank's new Tae Bo Cardio Inferno and didn't like it at all. I think for me too that I need to move on from this type of workout.

I don't exercise for weight loss right now. Its just not happening in my life. Though I wish it would. I have to do it for my mental state and to help with stress and my grieving of a death in the family. So it has to be fun and enjoyable.

Its fun to browse Totalfitness or Collage catalog to see whats new. I'm looking forward to Cathe's new workouts.

Now you have me interested in CLX!! Although I'm thinking of starting Cathe's STS rotation. I think I need some guidance in a rotation this time in my life.

Here's to boredom busting!!!
Mandy, I can not say enough good about CLX. It is one rotation that I will have no problem doing again and again and that is after doing it three times. I have yet to do that with any rotation. There is something about each month that makes it so different. And even the month that ends up being my least favorite (that seems to change each time I do it), makes you feel so good. It gives you power inside and is uplifting. But it also spoils a person - each time I feel lost afterwards on what to do. I can't blame that this time though as it's been since this summer that I did CLX last. This time I'm not lost, just bored.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 12:30 AM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS View Post
Mandy, I can not say enough good about CLX. It is one rotation that I will have no problem doing again and again and that is after doing it three times. I have yet to do that with any rotation. There is something about each month that makes it so different. And even the month that ends up being my least favorite (that seems to change each time I do it), makes you feel so good. It gives you power inside and is uplifting. But it also spoils a person - each time I feel lost afterwards on what to do. I can't blame that this time though as it's been since this summer that I did CLX last. This time I'm not lost, just bored.

Rachelle
Thanks Rachelle! I'm going to ask this for Christmas
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 01:46 PM  
acey

I have been in quite a funk lately for personal and professional reasons, and this thread was very timely. I've worked out 5 or 6 x a week consistently for the past 10 years, with only occasional breaks due to traveling (even then, I'd be walking a lot) or sickness. But in the past two months, I've found myself skipping workouts more frequently.

However, my lifesaver is exercise withdrawal. After two days, I get headaches, feel gross and full of toxins, and very very grumpy! At that point my body so craves working up a sweat that my mental barriers are broken down, at least temporarily.

Exercise is the best addiction I have ever had.

Tags
boredom, harley pasternak, motivation