Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-10, 10:55 PM  
RachelleS

I'm bored with exercise

I'm still working out but I am bored. I LOVE CLX and I've finished three rounds - I miss the rotation part yet I'm not ready for round three. This, though, is my all time favorite program/workouts in the 20 years I've been exercising. I really love BBL Cardio Axe but I can only do that so many times. I bought Zumba and it is okay but I don't care for it as much as Cardio Axe. I have been doing mostly Kelly Coffey Meyer and love her two newest workouts - Lift and Circuit Burn (and the 30 minute workouts). I also like Jackie Warner's Power Circuit. I have Turbo Fire but lost interest in that right away. I'll do a workout here and there. I have no interest in that high intensity of workouts. A friend at work suggested I finally pull out P90X that I will have had for six years in January and have only tried the abs workout - I dread the longer workouts though and I don't know that I want to do just one thing.

With Mary's sale coming up, I'm wondering if I should buy some different ones but my pile of workouts I no longer do is LARGE and I don't want to add to it.

I hate this feeling - I don't get it very often thank goodness BUT I've always did just one thing at a time - Denise Austin, Taebo, Cathe, different BB products. I do like how I'm mixing the instructor and workouts out. The other way I do eventually burn out. Sometimes it takes awhile (Taebo was the longest I think - 7 years!). I don't even know what my body needs - more cardio, more weights - does it even matter as exercise doesn't help me in the weight loss area - never has. I do seem to like the more interval workouts lately. I exercise because it makes me feel good and I enjoy it. I don't like the not enjoying it as much feeling these days.

Any suggestions or ideas????

Thanks, Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 11:09 PM  
Waterbabie
VF Supporter

I go through this everyone once in a while. I then usually gravitate towards really low choreo stuff like Leslie and Slim Series. Once boredom sets in I enjoy my other workouts again. Once when it really got bad, I joined a gym. Mixing it up with different cardio machines and classes might help you get your spark back.

I discovered the joy of simply walking this year. Not the easiest thing to do in the winter in ND, I'd guess

Anyway, good luck finding your mojo!
Old 11-21-10, 11:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I'd definately change it up - or maybe re-visit old favorites, sometimes that works for me.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 11:10 PM  
melfitz

Take a week off...an exercise vacation. Sometimes you just need a break.
melfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 11:38 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I've kept this article since April. Maybe you'll find it helpful!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...rnout-1279837/

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 11:39 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbabie View Post
Once when it really got bad, I joined a gym.
That made me spit water all over my keyboard!

Seriously, I agree with the suggestions to revisit some old favourites (another rationale for having lots of DVDs) or just take a week off.

You'll get your mojo back soon!
Old 11-22-10, 12:04 AM  
glowacki

I suggest you take an exercise vacation only if you're sure that you'll come back to it.

When I suffered exercise burnout/boredom, I took a break and didn't return for several years. Not saying that'll happen to you, but my best advice is to keep moving. Do something, anything, that's fun to you.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 01:55 AM  
Mandy

Wow, your post really hit home because its exactly what I'm going through right now. So know you aren't alone when feeling like this. I even sold alot of exercise videos and DVD's that I just didn't do anymore. I thought by getting rid of some of my overwhelming collection it would help me get motivated. But sadly,this didn't help. I still feel bored.

What I've been doing is just getting a pile of my workout dvd's and just do it. If I hate it or was bored or felt like I would rather do a different workout, then bye bye. I put it in my trade pile or sell pile.

Then I tried some older workouts I hadn't done like the Firm classics but they brought back bad memories of the past.

What has helped me just the past couple days are new workouts i haven't done before. Its exciting getting a new workout and motivates me to workout. I actually enjoyed my workout today doing Firm Cardio Overdrive with Alison. It was nice working out with a new totally different instructor without killing myself.
Or also looking through Cathe's premixes that I've never tried. Like tonight, I saw her Scrambled Eggs premix on the Body Max 2 DVD that looked interesting. Looks tough but i could modify.

I am tired spending money on workouts that I don't like. I tried Billy Blank's new Tae Bo Cardio Inferno and didn't like it at all. I think for me too that I need to move on from this type of workout.

I don't exercise for weight loss right now. Its just not happening in my life. Though I wish it would. I have to do it for my mental state and to help with stress and my grieving of a death in the family. So it has to be fun and enjoyable.

Its fun to browse Totalfitness or Collage catalog to see whats new. I'm looking forward to Cathe's new workouts.

Now you have me interested in CLX!! Although I'm thinking of starting Cathe's STS rotation. I think I need some guidance in a rotation this time in my life.

Here's to boredom busting!!!
Old 11-22-10, 05:47 AM  
akaAnnie

Cathe's 4 Day Split? They are shorter workouts-but effective-like clx and you'd have a rotation to work with. You could probably sub some or all of the cardio if you wanted.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 05:49 AM  
horsemom2

I have felt like that for a few days but sooner or later my enthusiasm returns. I have found any workout done too often or for too long during one workout session is a turn off for me. So I do about 15 minutes of various workouts till I feel done, sweaty but not exhausted. Also I skip all moves that I know I dread or find uncomfortable.

Music is a huge motivator for me. Lately, I have been using alot of Richard Simmons for the music and can tweak his moves to use my Fitstix and/or bungee rebounder. Once Richard gets my blood flowing, I switch to less exciting stuff LOL

Remember, a new workout is just one you haven't tried or even done in a long time and doesn't have to be a current big seller. There are a zillion lesser known workouts that may do the trick. Though my pile of neglected workouts has becomes shelves, I feel less guilty cuz most were bought cheaply or received in a trade. You may want to try Netflix or Blockbusters by mail for variety.

Barb S
who avoids burnout by not overdoing any single workout too often

ETA: maybe trying a free trial of Netflix or Blockbuster will help you find a new instructor or workout style that will motivate you
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boredom, harley pasternak, motivation