Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-10, 10:32 PM  
Vee

Help with yoga and yoga-ish dvds

I have more yoga workouts than I can do justice to, but I still like to add to my collection provided something new is truly well-put-together, or has some unique technique. In short I am being picky about my acquisitions.

Need advice on whether to get all/some/none of the following:

a. Tara Stiles - Yoga Anywhere

b. Elle Yoga with Brooklyn Decker instructed by Tara - which is better this one or the Yoga Anywhere? Do I need both?

c. Michelle Carmichael - Soul Fuel

d. V Core - If I already do regular yoga will this complement my balance training the way Jill Miller's Shoulder/Core/Hip routines complement stability/flexibility in yoga poses? I still wobble in balance poses if I am doing strenuous power yoga or yoga after strenuous cardio.

e. Will Power & Grace - Mile High

I love traditional yoga and have clicked with a few fusion dvds.

For fusion, I like the thirty minute routine on Patricia Moreno's Yoga Dance Fusion and like even moe, Kim Spreen's Ampilfy Your Strength from Within. I also enjoy Jill Miller's tune ups which is not traditional yoga but so intelligently innovative.

For more traditional hatha yoga, I like things with minimal woo-woo. Some of my recent likes have been Christina Pedersen/Ishwari Gonnot from Myyogadvd, Sadie Nardini, Deb Dobins, Sarah Kline and Adi Amar from yogatoday. My older favorites are Erich Schiffman, Alan Finger, Yoga Shakti from Shiva (dont like her when she gets too "fluid"), Altar of the Heart, Rodney Yee. I also enjoy Baron Baptiste and Bryan Kest and would like them better if they were less wordy on things that are not to do with yoga form.

Is Tara Stiles similar to Sadie?

Thank you.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 10:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh Vee, we are so on the same wavelength! I owe you a review of the Elle one (from Cathe's forum), and I have been debating on the Soul Fuel, but get this..... just instants before I saw your post, I pressed send on ordering that Tara Stiles one from amazon!!! I already have V-core and Mile High! LOL. Have you seen Tara's clips on youtube? I've heard that Yoga Anywhere is hard and not for beginners, but I know you are not that.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 12:33 AM  
Vee

Bee, I enjoy Tara's youtube clips. I am by no means advanced, maybe low-intermediate. I cant do many inversions and the only arm-balnce I am good for is the basic crow. I learnt yoga in a live class for a few years and was taught how to modify/substitute poses that are inaccessible to my ability.

My wishlist has never been this long, so I want input before I pull the trigger on ordering!

Look forward to your Elle opinion. Have you enjoyed Mile High and V Core?
Old 09-07-10, 08:26 AM  
KathAL79

Re: the Tara Stiles, have you seen this review?

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 08:48 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
Bee, I enjoy Tara's youtube clips. I am by no means advanced, maybe low-intermediate. I cant do many inversions and the only arm-balnce I am good for is the basic crow. I learnt yoga in a live class for a few years and was taught how to modify/substitute poses that are inaccessible to my ability.

My wishlist has never been this long, so I want input before I pull the trigger on ordering!

Look forward to your Elle opinion. Have you enjoyed Mile High and V Core?
I've only done Mile High once and I did like it. Good mix of things in that one, and I like her energy. I like V-Core, but I have to confess that I don't understand the raves I've seen here about it. It's ok. I've done parts of it on three or four different occasions.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 09:03 AM  
Vee

Thanks Kath. Tara Stiles Yoga Anywhere eliminated for probably being too advanced.

Thanks Bee. VCore is out too. I have plenty of good but not great stuff. Mile High is in. I like energy and a good mix of things.

I am trying to decide what else I should club with my Atletica order from Mary and this is such a help.
Old 09-07-10, 09:07 AM  
PhyllisG

I like fusion workouts rather than straight yoga so I love SoulFuel. Have you watched the clips on totalfitnessdvds.com?
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-10, 09:10 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I like fusion workouts rather than straight yoga so I love SoulFuel. Have you watched the clips on totalfitnessdvds.com?
I watched them twice. They looked really good and I liked the instructor. I wanted to hear from people who had done the DVD before making a decision.
Old 09-07-10, 09:14 AM  
Vee

For Phyllis and those who like fusion, I thoroughly recommend taking a look at Kimberly Spreen's Amplify your strength. I wonder why this workout isnt talked of much. Oddly, I have never felt tempted to order anything else from her. She never did another in the genre.
Old 09-07-10, 09:52 AM  
Suzan66

Elle Yoga is just plain awful.. she says "here" and "there" about 1000 times in 20 minutes.
Suzan66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alan finger