VF Supporter

Wink

Breathing...

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 08:18 AM  
kietsufit

I'm over articles written by "experts" telling me what to do and what not to do. I honestly think that if it feels good, strong, healthy, whatever then you should do it. It'll be a few months and another "expert" will write the complete opposite.

It reminds me, when I was losing weight I was lifting heavy...what some at the gym would call "man heavy" and I had several "experts" tell me I was going to look like a man, develop a broad behind, etc... Really? I've yet to see a man with huge boobs and a little waist...which is my natural shape when I am thin. When I burned out and couldn't look at another weight and started to do more cardio I had another "expert" tell me I was going to gain all my weight back if I didn't keep lifting heavy. Now that I am doing high rep low weight with moderate cardio I have "experts" telling me I am wasting my time. I'm over it at this point. I just do what feels good right now because I know in a few months I'll need to move on in order to keep on moving. And moving is the only thing that ensures I maintain and continue on my journey.

If you like crunches, sit ups (which my cousin Sylvia still does and they work for her - she has an amazing mid-section), pilates ab work, ball core work, whatever - do it and to heck with the experts!

Have a great day and keep on keeping on!
Ana
kietsufit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 12:02 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Great link with Dr. McGill. I'm going to start substituting his moves for every ab workout on my DVDs, as well as adding basic planks. I'm so glad I watched because doing side planks sometimes hurts my shoulder and he showed a way to help that.

Also, it was good seeing proper form for the bird dogs. No wonder it felt too easy to me.

I'm going to go through my abs only DVDs and probably trade or sell them now.
OH my goodness! That seems mighty drastic after one article!

Quote:
I'm over articles written by "experts" telling me what to do and what not to do. I honestly think that if it feels good, strong, healthy, whatever then you should do it. It'll be a few months and another "expert" will write the complete opposite.
I'm a trainer and even I feel this way. It is very frustrating for us as well, because you are telling your clients one thing, and then 6 months later some "expert" says he has debunked this. Usually you will feel if something is not being good to your body, but I have also had bad injuries that came AFTER work that felt just fine to me, so I do try to read and keep on top of things to see if anything is making sense based upon EXPERIENCE, not just because somebody who is now a huge fan of a 'new' method, decides that now NONE of the old methods are valid.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 01:48 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~ View Post
OH my goodness! That seems mighty drastic after one article!
Why? He seems to work the whole core with those moves on his video and if I add in planks, too, I'm thinking I should be okay. What else should I add in?
Old 06-19-09, 02:04 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Why? He seems to work the whole core with those moves on his video and if I add in planks, too, I'm thinking I should be okay. What else should I add in?
OH, I didn't mean his exercises weren't good, but to just get rid of all of your ab workouts, seems drastic to me, but then I am such a vidiot I have a problem getting rid of things even if I haven't USED them in a year, LOL.

Surely those ab workouts have a lot of good work in them, are something to follow, and you can sub the moves you don't like and use his.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 02:29 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kietsufit View Post
I'm over articles written by "experts" telling me what to do and what not to do.
I know what you mean. It can get extremely confusing. But I think its also important to be discerning about someone's backgrounds and credentials. Lots of people like to claim the title of "expert", but few have much to back it up. McGill seems to have some real creds (refreshing!). Also, if you reread that article (and the comments that follow) you'll see that he doesn't have a one-size-fits-all approach (also refreshing). His argument makes sense to me, and it's not the first time I've heard it. I gave up crunches a couple of years ago for this reason. It makes me want to learn more about his approach -- enough to possible invest in his book. But if it doesn't make sense to you, then by all means remain skeptical. I look forward to seeing other experts challenge his ideas.

For better or worse, this is how science works. Someone comes up with a theory with research to back it up. Others do research that may support or shoot down that theory, and perhaps come up with a new theory of their own. And so it goes on and on.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!

Last edited by KarenP; 06-19-09 at 02:32 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 05:11 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I tried it - it's HARD!
I tried the "stirring the pot" exercise with a couple of different sized swiss balls. I agree, it's a nice variation on a stability ball plank. The smaller the ball, the more challenging the exercise. Next time I'll try it with my feet on a bench.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 06-19-09, 06:27 PM  
fluffydogfan

So, KarenP, give me a peek into what your core workout exercises look like these days. What are you doing?

Katie
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 06:34 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydogfan View Post
So, KarenP, give me a peek into what your core workout exercises look like these days. What are you doing?
Front squats and deadlifts!

I do some stability ball plank variations, some back extensions, but seriously, I think front squats and deadlifts are awesome for the core.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 06-19-09, 06:37 PM  
shortie

Interesting article and video.

What I wonder is how his exercises compare to others in regards to the waist-reducing aspect. Do I sound shallow? Why, yes, I do!

Honestly, I'm doing ab work partly for my health, back strength, to feel better, stay upright in my old age, etc. But, I'm also doing it to suck in the belly, and get a smaller, toned waistline. (If I could get the waistline of the instructor on Kettlenetics, I'd die happy!) So, I'm intrigued by his points about back protection vs. damage, and I'll believe that you can get STRONGER using his exercises. But, can you also get the corresponding waist-reduction that some exercises produce?

Shallow shallow vain shallow, I admit it!
shortie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominals, abs, core, crunches, fast twitch, menopot, shapewear, spanx, stuart mcgill, transverse