Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-09, 11:31 AM  
kandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I have the Firm barbell as well and it's still in GREAT condition! It takes any "standard" plate. The most I've ever loaded it up to was 75 lbs. (total, including the 10 lbs. it weighs) with no problem.

Oh, and you CAN call me granny now....DD just gave birth.

Kathy G
Congratulations!!! Well Granny? Tell us more! What did she have, what's his or her name?

PS: Just to warn you, I called myself Granny to our first granddaughter and she called me NiNi and it stuck! I'm NiNi to 7 of them now!!
kandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 12:54 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Red face 'Old as dirt' checkin???

Gosh, never really thought about my Firm barbell - I've taken it for granted all these years - but I suppose that's the mark of a good piece of equipment. Like the rest, it remains in great shape, love the shorter length and holds regular plates just fine!

I love the comment about "got it as a teenager" - now that makes me feel old!

AY
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 01:33 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Does anyone know what the max amount of weight the Danskin one can hold?
I think it depends an which version you bought. Academy Sports & Outdoors sold one and WalMart sold another one that was a little different. I have the one from Academy. It came with blue and green plates and IIRC the maximum weight is 36#. I think the maximum weight for the WalMart one was a little less.

I was able to get extra plates at WalMart before they sold out - the plates are interchangeable for both sets.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 07:45 PM  
mbenson

Count me in as well, I still have mine and its still in great condition. I love the fact that Anna has put some of the classics on DVD talk about memories. Slowly but surely I'll have them all back in my collection.

For some odd reason I go away but always come back to the Firm I think its just the fact that i have a short attention span and they seem to move from one section to another thus doesn't give me time to daydream LOL
mbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 08:03 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I think it depends an which version you bought. Academy Sports & Outdoors sold one and WalMart sold another one that was a little different. I have the one from Academy. It came with blue and green plates and IIRC the maximum weight is 36#. I think the maximum weight for the WalMart one was a little less.

I was able to get extra plates at WalMart before they sold out - the plates are interchangeable for both sets.
I have this one as well (the 'heavyweight' version). The bar weighs 6lbs and the maximum it was stated to hold was 36lbs but I'm not sure it can't hold more. The lighter one weighed 5 lbs alone and I think loaded weighed 22lbs. Not sure what its maximum was supposed to be. I bought extra plates for mine plus I bought the Danskin adjustable dumbbells just so I could have extra smaller (1lb and 3lb plates) to use with the bar.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 08:12 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

I LOVE my Firm barbell!! Use it all the time, even now with STS. I bought some extra plates too and still have those. The pad's thickness and comfort are just like new. I guess it must be 20 yrs old. Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 08:57 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I was using mine last weekend and I realized how much I love that thing. It is one of my top 3 fitness tools! I remember when it came out and I had to save up in order to get it. I still can't get over how perfect it is in size and shape and the 10lb. bar just floats my boat!

Anyone still have & use theirs? Anyone let it go and wish they could get it back?

Feeling nostalgic on this Thursday post American Idol Season 8 finale.....
I don't have that specific barbell, but I do have the Danskin one (that I understand is discontinued now) I think I'd heard that it is similar in size & shape to the FIRM barbell. I know it's very manageable for my small hands, it's not as long as my hubby's barbell, etc... I really like it & use it often.
Old 05-23-09, 06:27 AM  
katalina

I purchased the Ivanko barbell back in 2002 and still use it all of the time!
Love it!!!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 08:54 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I bought extra plates for mine plus I bought the Danskin adjustable dumbbells just so I could have extra smaller (1lb and 3lb plates) to use with the bar.
Me too. I even found some extra plates and bought them before they were discontinued. I wondered what the maximum weight was, but I know I've loaded mine with 2 regular 10 lb plates plus the Danskin ones, so I know it can hold more than 30 pounds. It's actually pretty sturdy, but probably the clips have a limit to what they'll hold securely.
Old 05-23-09, 09:23 AM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

I use my Firm barbell all the time.

Mine doesn't have the Firm logo on it however. I got mine in the mid- 1990s, from the Firm itself, not from another source; maybe they offered one earlier also (that sounds familiar) that had the logo.

I love it. I also have a body pump barbell which I rarely use, I have it only because it came with the original body pump video way back when.

I bought extra plates for my Firm barbell, it came with 27.5 pounds of plates and I think I bought an extra 20 pounds' worth.
barbara P

Tags
barbell, danskin, firm barbell