Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-09, 10:44 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

I like ballet workouts, too, & they do have a similar effect, though less dramatic than barre workouts in my case. I'm doing more ballet now since DD likes to do my DVDs with me when she doesn't have ballet classes (Passover break).

ETA after seeing Fuzzie's post - we did the Brazilian Body workout yesterday & this was fun, too, though I wouldn't call my dancing "artistic" .
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:11 AM  
hgiles1

I am a new poster here, but I just have to say that I am so motivated after reading these posts about the great results some of you have gotten from barre/ballet workouts. I have only recently started doing this type of workout so I haven't had enough time to see huge changes...especially since I was fit to begin with...but, I have been wondering if I am doing the right thing for my body by switching to this type of workout. This thread has definitely convinced me that I have!!

I also agree that it does not matter if there is an "explanation" for these results. If you like the way you look and feel, WHO CARES why it's working!? Not me!
Old 04-07-09, 11:23 AM  
herya

Gals who have these "tightening" results, do they last? Is it a permanent change/improvement or are they gone as soon as you stop using this method regularly? In other words, is it a permanent muscle strengthening or just a temporary reaction to your effort? Please share your experience!
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:30 AM  
Debbie M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonH
Frankly, Deb, your comments are becoming obnoxious.
You are in violation of VF guidelines for attacking another VFer for no reason.

I and every other physiology text and resource in the world will state that you cannot tone or shrink any body part without losing bodyfat or losing muscle.

You actually worked out for some time, so how do you know that you did not lose fat or muscle in your lower body?

Why am I obnoxious because I stated the scientific facts but then said that since I am open to far stranger things, it is possible that there is an explantion that nobody has dicovered in relation to anatomy to explain what a few people claim?

I think it is horrible that certain members have to resort to such vicous personal attacks just because someone else does not agree with their opinion!

I would never call you names and think it is stooping low for you to do so to me or anyone else.

I have reported your post to the moderators as it in outright violation of VF guidelines.

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:43 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

What I noticed when I take ballet classes is that I get DOMS which I won't get from heavy lifting, running, spinning, or other things that work your legs. I think it's because some moves require a large ROM while there are moves that work smaller muscles that don't usually get worked with other methods, and because I'm tightening my legs/butt/abs the whole time. So I'm in an isometric contraction.
Old 04-07-09, 11:45 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie M
You are in violation of VF guidelines for attacking another VFer for no reason.

I and every other physiology text and resource in the world will state that you cannot tone or shrink any body part without losing bodyfat or losing muscle.

You actually worked out for some time, so how do you know that you did not lose fat or muscle in your lower body?

Why am I obnoxious because I stated the scientific facts but then said that since I am open to far stranger things, it is possible that there is an explantion that nobody has dicovered in relation to anatomy to explain what a few people claim?

I think it is horrible that certain members have to resort to such vicous personal attacks just because someone else does not agree with their opinion!

I would never call you names and think it is stooping low for you to do so to me or anyone else.

I have reported your post to the moderators as it in outright violation of VF guidelines.

Deb
Ah, Deb, you need to let it go. (Speaking as one "obnoxious" VFer to another.) The Mods can't keep up with all the times *I* get folks riled up and I don't post nearly as much as you do.

You know what you know and you aren't going to change anyone's mind. I know that you have health problems and the stress of these disagreements can't be good for you. Just keep doing the things that make you feel good and look good, and think kindly of the unenlightened.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:46 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S
What I noticed when I take ballet classes is that I get DOMS which I won't get from heavy lifting, running, spinning, or other things that work your legs. I think it's because some moves require a large ROM while there are moves that work smaller muscles that don't usually get worked with other methods, and because I'm tightening my legs/butt/abs the whole time. So I'm in an isolated contraction.
Helen, I love your new avatar. You look mahvellous!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 11:47 AM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya
Gals who have these "tightening" results, do they last? Is it a permanent change/improvement or are they gone as soon as you stop using this method regularly? In other words, is it a permanent muscle strengthening or just a temporary reaction to your effort? Please share your experience!
They last for as long as I train with ballet/barre workouts. I suppose that if I stopped for, say, a week it wouldn't show. But after that, I don't know!

Where in EU are you? I am in Greece!
Old 04-07-09, 12:21 PM  
Kimberly33

Please be respectful of one another

Name calling is not appropriate, even if "someone else started it."

From the guidelines:
Quote:
Respectful disagreements
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with a member's post, you are certainly free to challenge the opinion. However, please do so while while showing respect for those who are of a different mind. We are here to better understand each other's opinions, not to attack others and convince them that you're right. Name calling, insults, "flaming" and personal attacks are not appropriate and will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree respectfully.

PLEASE do not respond to rude or offensive postings.
Ignoring them is the absolute best strategy for maintaining the Forum's supportive atmosphere. It has been our experience that if a rude post is ignored, the rude poster usually goes away or ceases being rude, whereas if people reply to a rude post, the subsequent replies tend to degenerate into name calling and profanity, and undermine the quality of the Forum.
The best way to address someone you disagree strongly with is to ignore them. We have an ignore list for this--if you put the person on that list, you no longer see their posts. That will ALWAYS be more effective in ending the discussion than baiting them, calling them names, or continuing to debate them

If you think that a post violates the guidelines, then report it, but realize that the moderators are volunteers who have other jobs--we aren't always going to be able to get to things immediately. Please give us time to respond.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 12:26 PM  
herya

Cristina you lucky girl I'm in Ireland... across the continent!

Thanks for the explanation - I know that "muscle tightening" effect is how my body reacts to certain physical effort but it never stays for long... But looking at Burr etc I do hope that if you do it long enough it will stay!
herya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, slow twitch, squeeze, the bar method, tracy anderson