Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-10-09, 02:27 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I could have written your post ssgilby.

Alta,
I now understand why TTapp bothered your back. You're also wise in not continuing with CLX.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 02:28 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby
Apparently I'm not the only one who suffers from work involving "rounding the spine" or "tucking the pelvis/tailbone." I had a bulged disk in my lower back this winter. My PT was very emphatic about limiting the amount of time one spends with a tucked pelvis/rounded lower back. He advised me to perform any exercise and most activities of daily living with a slightly arched spine and to frequently throughout the day do backbends (standing ones or cobras on the floor).
I like backbending over a chair back -- I raise my arms next to my ears, get my shoulders on my back and bend.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-09, 02:41 PM  
ssgilby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
I like backbending over a chair back -- I raise my arms next to my ears, get my shoulders on my back and bend.
I do the same thing, Sharon! Especially when I'm sitting at my desk all day at work. It feels divine! Such a "waker upper" in addition to reciprocating the back from some unintentional slouching while working at the computer!

I found it amazing when my PT pointed out how much we all bend forward in life and how little we bend back. I started paying attention throughout the day and it is truly a glaring disparity. Very rarely do our activities of daily living require us to arch the spine back. It only stands to reason that after years and years and years of so much forward bending our spines complain! I've come to realize that my bulged disk was a blessing in disguise! I treat my back much better now!
Old 04-11-09, 10:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach
I could have written your post ssgilby.

Alta,
I now understand why TTapp bothered your back. You're also wise in not continuing with CLX.
T-Tapp is the only workout that ever gave me back pain. I took a class with Teresa once and asked her about it. She blew me off and was a real bitch about it.

CLX aggravated some residual pain I had after having a epidural in January. It is slowly getting better, so CLX could be on my list for the future. I'm really hoping to bet back to k-bells, to be honest.

But, T-Tapp, never!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, slow twitch, squeeze, the bar method, tracy anderson