Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-09, 09:51 PM  
TinaT

Questions about Food/Exercise Journals

I need to get back to journaling. I really lost a great amount of weight when I knew what when in my mouth and what kind of exercise I did daily. The motivation factor was huge. It's been quite some time since I've done this seriously.

Anyone have a great journal that includes an area for exercise and food intake? I don't need anything expensive, just thorough for my daily habits to be put on paper.

TIA ~
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 10:16 PM  
daisysunshine

Sparkpeople is good. [and free]

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 10:31 PM  
rubyspirit
VF Supporter

I buy a simple journal with lined paper, not an official workout journal. That way if I leave it on my desk, no one is the wiser. I like the covered spiral bound.

EDIT: Mine is 7"X5.5" and fits easily in my purse.
Old 03-12-09, 10:40 PM  
daisysunshine

Geeze i need to learn how to read.
I just buy a nice pretty notebook [not exercise looking] from the dollar store and I got a nice jorunal for christmas (but haven't used that)

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 11:06 PM  
videofit

I use Fitday.com
Old 03-12-09, 11:15 PM  
RedPanda

I looked into FitDay but it seems to bear little relationship to food available in Australia. I just track all my food in an Excel spreadsheet - when I stopped doing that for a few weeks, I gained weight.

I've only started journalling my workouts this year in a simple Word document. I make notes about where I want to improve and give myself a when I achieve a mini-goal and a tick for every workout done. Sometimes, when I don't feel like working out, I'll make myself do it just to earn the tick.
Old 03-12-09, 11:55 PM  
Helen

RedPanda - I found that the US food logging sites were difficult too, but CalorieKing.au is good. It has OUR food brands and names.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 12:06 AM  
Nancy N.
VF Supporter

Constantlly changing

I'm constantly changing my approach to journaling.

Last week I finally found the perfect - the newest pefect - combination of blank paper and spiral binding. I've searched for a long time and could only find the typical sketch books with overly large (for my tastes) spiral binding. I hate those big, cold, metal circles, they really bother me, I don't like it when my hand bumps into them. And don't try to interest me in sketchbooks bound at the top instead of the side, I need side-bound!

Ahem.

This one is by Strathmore. You can see it here: http://www.artsupply.com/strathmore/...er%20paper.htm It's the orange one, 9.5x12. The spiral binding is petite, maybe 1/2 inch in diameter? And only 30 pages, so it's easy to tote around.

I don't like tracking on a computer. I like scrawling with an implement.

I've been trying to be very free with the format and not worry about always filling in the blanks or writing clearly or neatly or drawing straight lines. I used to worry about all that stuff before and it didn't make any difference except take up time. All that attention to detail went to waste in half-used notebooks.

Essentially, the process is the point since review or re-reading rarely takes place, for me.

Here's today's entry (see attached photo). I divvy up the page into regular sections and break the monotony by doing it in whichever manner strikes me. Today was really messy, deliberately so. The previous few days had been very rigid, drawn with a ruler and written with precision. I was bored with that.

I find that I feel better about the whole process when I adopt the attitude that it really doesn't matter how often I change my mind or approach or my notebook, and that no matter how enamored I am of my current system, I'm sure to change it up again, eventually. If I want to change horses in mid-stream, that's okay. The notebook doesn't really go to waste, my family ends up using it for myriad purposes, mostly as shopping lists or task lists.

Have FUN!! Go with what you enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg journal.jpg (45.2 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by Nancy N.; 03-13-09 at 12:08 AM. Reason: More details about the SPIRALING.
Nancy N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-09, 12:53 AM  
Anny

I blog - keeping a fitness blog is easiest for me, as I have a general blog, a homeschooling blog, a French and Catholic Homeschooling blog.

I find it helps to keep my tracking fluid, sometimes I blog a monthly challenge for myself.
Old 03-13-09, 04:45 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
RedPanda - I found that the US food logging sites were difficult too, but CalorieKing.au is good. It has OUR food brands and names.
Oh yes, I was going to say that I use the CalorieKing.au to work out calories. But I'm not going to pay to log my food on a site.

Tags
calendar, fitday.com, journals, streaming colors, workout log