Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-09, 07:10 PM  
cristinalatina

Getting lean without cardio

I would love to get leaner and wear a size smaller.

The problem is, I dislike cardio. I do regular resistance training with light weights, a la Jari/Slim Series with some barre thrown into the mix. Unfortunately per doctor's order I cannot lift heavy, my heaviest dumbbells are 8 pounders.

But I am not as lean as I would like

If I streamline my eating (which could use some cleaning up) is cardio absolutely necessary for fat loss? If yes, what's the average minimal amount (low impact if possible) that one can do to get results?

Thank you in advance!
Old 02-28-09, 07:19 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you streamline your eating, you can lose weight without doing any formal exercise at all. I've done that, but you certainly have less margin for error on the food front.

I swear that some Jari Love workouts are practically cardio because the weights are light and the reps are so high. If you can tolerate doing those, that might help.
Old 02-28-09, 07:42 PM  
dnna

I sure leaned out and went down a size or two with Debbie Seibers slim in six and Slim Series- that is all lifting, albeit very light and a million reps. I love my ss results though.
I also am not a cardio fan but the Firm still gets my nod for burning off calories with the awt.
good luck
Donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 07:49 PM  
lovemykid

My neighbor definitely proves that you don't need cardio to lose fat. She has lost around 50 lbs. of fat and kept if off for 5 years. She actually STOPPED doing cardio and this helped her lose weight. I'm assuming because she didn't have to eat as much.
lovemykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 08:25 PM  
Demeris

Three years ago I went from a size 18/20 to a size 8 with no more cardio than you get in the average kundalini yoga video. I've fluctuated up to a 10 and down to a 6 (currently an 8) with only occasional cardio (leslies on the rebounder or an occasional charlene prickett or kathy smith or t-tapp walking)--but cardio for me is about getting my heart rate up to strengthen it, not to burn calories.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 09:37 PM  
videofit

Most of the time over the years, the only cardio I've ever done has been walking but my heart rate never went up very high, so I don't even know if it qualifies as cardio. As long as you are moving, you are burning calories.

I get the best results by logging my calories on Fitday and not going above a certain number (which I am not allowed to mention)!
Old 02-28-09, 11:13 PM  
anniep.

I lost almost 2 sizes going from almost all Firm and Tae-Boe or Turbo Jam, to just Pilates and some Ellen Barrett videos. That's it, that's all I do.

If I just do Pilates, I will do 20 minute eliptical cardio sessions 3X per week. that's it! I swear this keeps my hunger down. I hate cardio...HATE cardio, and it upsets my knees.

I honestly think 20 minutes 3x per week is enough if you eat clean 90% of the time!
anniep. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 12:51 AM  
ilovemybirds

I would think you should be okay as long as you move a lot throughout the day (such as doing a lot of walking). I know I've had to drastically alter the kinds of workouts I do because of knee problems. Lately, I've been doing one of the Sexy in 6 rotations, and since I can't do the cardio that's on the dvd (too high impact), I'll just do a 12 minute Leslie, or I'll just take my son on a 20 minute stroller walk. It feels weird 'not' doing more cardio and like I should be doing more, but I kind of like it, too.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-09, 02:28 AM  
videofit

I remember Jillian saying something on her radio show about how you don't really need cardio if you do circuit training with weights. If you work fast enough and alternate upper and lower body, you can get your heart rate up and build muscle at the same time. Maybe somebody else can remember the details, but I think that is the gist of it.
Old 03-01-09, 04:44 AM  
Debbie M

Losing bodyfat is just a matter of creating a calorie deficiet**, so, no, cardio is not at all required.

I have lost huge amounts of bodyfat with no exercise at all when I was restricted from doing so. I created a positive environment for fat loss with my nutrition and supplementation instead.

I think there are few fitness experts (Jillian included as I see her mentioned) who do not claim that diet is responsible for about 80% of body composition results.

Obviously everyone is different but I personally need no exercise at all to lose or maintain my bodyfat %.

I would never dispute that exercise has many benefits other than helping burn calories, but in the grand scheme of things, a intense hour long workout burns enough calories to allow me only 6 Godiva chocolates. That hardly seems worth it! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I exercise because I love it and because I know it is good for my general health and well being. I love cardio and resistance training. I crave the feeling of moving my body. I love how cardio makes me feel energized/happy and how resistance training allows me to create almost any specific shape change in my body (within genetic reason). Much to my dismay, it cannot make me 2" taller, provide me with a D cup at 15% bodyfat or make my ankle bones smaller!

But, if I cannot exercise (which has been common with my chronic condition over the past few years), it does not stop me from being able to lean out.

**I do not mean to make fat loss sound simple. I do not think it is as straight forward as calories in and calories out. I know many people (including some VFers) struggle to lose weight no matter how clean they eat. But I didn't want to get into a big debate about the importance of all of the things that can influence "calorie deficeit", so I just used that term. I have personally been the unhappy victim of weight gain induced by hormone imbalance, so I aware that many factors go into the equation.

Any workouts that you do enjoy Christina will certainly help, so just keep up with your Slim Series, Jari, barre workouts, etc. Maybe mix things up (sticking with what you enjoy) if you feel you might be in a rut. (BTW: Jari & SS get my HR up without formal cardio too.)

HTH

Deb
Debbie M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitday.com, no cardio, weights only