Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-09, 01:01 AM  
ilovemybirds

I just did the happy weight and bone frame calculator, and according to the link, I have a large frame, not a medium frame. It also suggested my happy weight to be 127, instead of 120-124 like I'd originally planned, so I can definitely live with that. That's several pounds less for me to lose.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 03:38 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

I wrote about this on the Ya Ya forum but I can only reiterate it is the meaning you have attached to the number rather than the number itself which is what is stopping you from achieving your goal. 125 at your height is a good healthy weight...to look like Jillian, I've said where you're probably going to have to go.

The other thing is that most of these fitness stars don't do their own workouts. Case in point, I'm writing for several magazines in Australia and I write to their brief - and if they want a calf workout with 5 exercises in it, then that is what is written. I hardly work my calves but they're very camera worthy

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:46 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A
I've lost weight fast from dental surgery & food poisoning, but this is more appealing!
A bad romantic break up is also great for weight loss.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 03:59 PM  
videofit

That Happy Weight calculator is bogus. I played around with it, plugging in different ages and the weight changed. Are we "supposed" to gain weight as we get older? Says who? I certainly wouldn't be happy at the weight they suggested for me.
Old 01-06-09, 04:04 PM  
spanishcurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
That Happy Weight calculator is bogus. I played around with it, plugging in different ages and the weight changed. Are we "supposed" to gain weight as we get older? Says who? I certainly wouldn't be happy at the weight they suggested for me.

I think the purpose of the calculator is to give you a comfortable weight goal. But I'm sure it's not perfect. I found this link that gives you the reasons how they formulated the calculator:

http://www.self.com/health/2008/01/happy-weight-formula

It says, for example, that pregnancy results in a 4-7 pound weight gain. That is not the case with me. I am thinner now that before baby #1 even though I was exercising a lot back then also.
spanishcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 08:18 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho
Whenever I get the stomach flu and I am agonizing through the throwing up, I just keep telling myself "well, at least you're losing weight". Of course, not the way I prefer to lose a few pounds, but sometimes you have to find the silver lining. It actually does make me feel better during the process.
But what do you tell yourself when you're getting better?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 09:26 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishcurls
Joanna, have you ever seen this "Happy Weight" calculator?

http://www.self.com/calculatorsprogr...rs/happyweight
It sounded familiar to me, and in fact, we had a long thread about it nearly nine months ago. (I remembered the existence of the thread, but I forgot when it started or how long it was.)

"Happy Weight" Calculator

I still stand behind what I wrote in general, heh (first post, second post).

And I haven't edited the posts, but if I were writing them today, I'd add more clearly to my stuff about "happy eye color"* that I don't like the term "happy weight." It's ambiguous (people can take it as meaning "the weight where you'll be happy") and implies that happiness is more in the weight itself than how you view it. It may even imply that something's wrong with you if you're happy outside your "happy weight."

At the time, I also played with the calculator and posted about my results with changing single variables and later with changing multiple variables, at least as the calculator was configured in April. What I say about this calculator and about BMI still stands, too.

* My reference to "happy eye color" probably didn't have The Bluest Eye in mind. I've since noticed that Oprah had a Book Club that made this novel a selection, and she would deny the concept of a "happy eye color"--but she seems to share the concept of a "happy weight," in a number of possible meanings of the term. I'm not calling the situations exactly parallel, but the contrast struck me.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 10:04 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Hm.. my suggestion would be to stop weighing yourself on a frequent basis, to eat like you're not working out, and to work out consistently. You could also get a dog and walk him a few times a day . Sometimes when you get really stuck on the numbers you can be off on your estimates. If you have a general plan to eat healthy, eat small portions, increase activity level by introducing new activities into your life, and work out consistently, you might have more luck.
I never lose weight when I'm intending to -- but I often lose weight when I'm not thinking about it. So long as you're not trying to get to a weight that is too low for you, you should be able to get there by making smart choices. I guess what I mean is that you might be looking for a silver bullet that is just not there, and part of what keeps you from getting there is thinking that there's a silver bullet to be found.
Old 01-06-09, 10:19 PM  
ladybug79

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs
Hm.. my suggestion would be to stop weighing yourself on a frequent basis, to eat like you're not working out, and to work out consistently. You could also get a dog and walk him a few times a day . Sometimes when you get really stuck on the numbers you can be off on your estimates. If you have a general plan to eat healthy, eat small portions, increase activity level by introducing new activities into your life, and work out consistently, you might have more luck.
I never lose weight when I'm intending to -- but I often lose weight when I'm not thinking about it. So long as you're not trying to get to a weight that is too low for you, you should be able to get there by making smart choices. I guess what I mean is that you might be looking for a silver bullet that is just not there, and part of what keeps you from getting there is thinking that there's a silver bullet to be found.
EXCELLENT post!
ladybug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 05:28 AM  
antbuko

I lost my last stubborn ten pounds by doing Jackie Warner's Workout One on One for six weeks. Seriously.

Tags
fitday.com, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, results