Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-09, 11:02 PM  
lotsofdance

I had heard that Nicolette Sheridan (Desperate Housewives) was irritated that she couldn't lose the 10 lbs she'd put on. So she went to playing volleyball, running in sand, and more athletic whole body stuff and said she lost it. I watched the show tonight and man is she tiny.

Has anyone noticed that when you are in love/lust and starting a new relationship it's easy to keep the pounds off?
lotsofdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 01:21 AM  
ilovemybirds

I don't have much to add, but I'm right there with you. I have about 7 more pounds of baby weight to lose, and I'm at the very top end of a healthy BMI. One thing I have done is I went for about two weeks without weighing myself, and that did alleviate a lot of my stress. I was getting way too obsessed with my scale, so I think I'm going to have to only weigh myself 1-2 times a week.
I don't have any other suggestions, but I've enjoyed reading other people's suggestions/thoughts.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 02:06 AM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdance
...Has anyone noticed that when you are in love/lust and starting a new relationship it's easy to keep the pounds off?
I've lost weight fast from dental surgery & food poisoning, but this is more appealing!
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 02:25 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

wrong thread

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:36 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31
I agree with the above post in that the "scientific 1200 calorie minimum" is thrown out the window if you're petite....none of the formulas tend to work if you're short and/or near your goal weight. However being near your goal weight is entirely different than being near your goal body fat percentage!

It all sounds so simple doesnt it?? hehe
It really is truly individual. I'm short, 5 2 and also need to lose 10 lbs, lol. NEED to because permenopause has made my belly big enough to bother me (plus for the first time in my life, my heart attack risk is average- was always low). 10 more after that would be beneficial. But at 5-2, anything less than 120 lbs is too thin for me. My Mom is 5 1 and tiny, think boy sized and less than 115 is too small for her. The calorie thing works totally for me too. So you just never know.

One thing I find interesting is the way people count their calories. I had one friend who swore she couldn't maintain her wt over 1700 calories (and she's not short or heavy) BUT she was eating whatever she wanted on the weekends including a six pack . Not a bad trade off in my book.

My other friend swore she never ate more than 1200 calories a day and was gaining wt. She was subtracting her workout calories and was using 700 calories a day as her average!!!! That's 9 or 10 miles of jogging a day!

Anyway, I feel for each of us, because losing wt is HARD.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:40 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsofdance
Has anyone noticed that when you are in love/lust and starting a new relationship it's easy to keep the pounds off?
In Martha Beck's book, The 4 Day Win, she has an entire chapter on this. she writes that people who have gone on vacation for 4 days and found that they had lost weight have mentioned how they were preoccupied with something new. same for people who started a new hobby - in 4 days, they started to break a plateau.

inspired by this idea, i started a post here on VF & got some interesting replies.

when i was at goal (which is 10 pounds away and maybe 10 years ago!), i had not weighed myself and people were telling me that i looked thinner. i weighed myself and lo and behold, i was lower than pre-wedding weight. at the time, i was just focused on being consistent and not what the scale read. also, my second child had just turned 18 months old, so i know that it can be done!

eta: i am the same height as jillian and weigh what she weighs when she's not on camera, and i DO NOT look like her at all! of course, i've had 3 kids and i'm older, but i am still inspired by her.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:43 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO
One thing I find interesting is the way people count their calories.
I've had an eye opening experience related to this. I recently went on a meal plan where I have fresh food delivered for each of my meals. I am on the 1200 calorie plan. I am ASTOUNDED by how little food 1200 calories is. I was easily eating 2 to 3 times this. It has been very educational for me. I thought I had a good idea of calories, but this has shown me that I was WAY off.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 05:54 PM  
caligurl

i got a stomach virus a couple of weeks ago and lost 5 pounds which brought me to my goal weight.... i just knew it was going to come right back once i was better and started eating again..... but fortunately only 1 pound did and i'm maintaining that! so now i've only got 1 pound to goal! WOO HOO! of course i wouldn't advocate throwing up for 2 days straight as a way to lose those last elusive pounds!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 06:06 PM  
spanishcurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds
I don't have much to add, but I'm right there with you. I have about 7 more pounds of baby weight to lose, and I'm at the very top end of a healthy BMI. One thing I have done is I went for about two weeks without weighing myself, and that did alleviate a lot of my stress. I was getting way too obsessed with my scale, so I think I'm going to have to only weigh myself 1-2 times a week.
I don't have any other suggestions, but I've enjoyed reading other people's suggestions/thoughts.

I've stopped weighing myself too. But I decided to do so after this thread and found I was a couple of pounds more than I'd like. However, I know once I get back to my workout routine that was thwarted due to the holidays, the kids being off from school, etc.. I'll get right back. I've also started to eat off a salad plate for most of my meals and I'm hoping that helps too.
spanishcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 06:10 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho
I am ASTOUNDED by how little food 1200 calories is. I was easily eating 2 to 3 times this.
Most people have no idea how much food they are eating and will argue, "But I don't eat that much." That's why books like "Eat This Not That" or that show proper portion sizes are so helpful.

I've experienced "both sides of the plate." Since I log all my food in Fitday, I can see exactly what I've eaten. Some days it seemed I had eaten very little, yet the calories were off the chart. I've also had the opposite -- I ate a lot of food, felt stuffed and couldn't believe how low my calories were -- veggies and whole grains. I remember thinking, So that's what volumetrics is all about. Fiber!

Tags
fitday.com, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, results