Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-09, 04:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Here's one other thing to try, which I heard on one of the six minutes of sanity podcasts from reasonablediet.com (great podcasts!). She said that if you've reached a plateau, change what you eat for breakfast each morning for a week -- if your normally have oatmeal, eat eggs, if you normally eat eggs, have fruit and yogurt -- or whatever! Just make that one change for a week, and she said that has been proven to break plateaus. She is also a big believer in your thoughts can sometimes control things in ways you don't want. So, start believing that you can do it! Good luck,
B
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 04:28 PM  
Sunnyday

I can also relate to what you are saying. I'm 5'3" and currently weight 128 lbs. Two summers ago I weighed 123. I know that work was so stressful and busy this last year that it caused me to exercise less and eat more junk food so my weight has gone up. Vanity wants me to get down to 120 lbs, but I guess that won't happen as I would be lucky to lose a half pound. I decided for the new year to kick up the intensity of my workouts. I was doing some easy walking and yoga/pilates and not much strength training or not upping my weights.

What was helping me when I was losing, was the extra time at the gym at lunch time. I would either walk for a half hour or use the elliptical 3-4 days a week at work. I really was eating healthier, too. I would do a half hour cardio or weights in the morning, exercise a half hour at lunch and then walk a half hour on the treadmill at night. The exercise also helped me not sit and stuff my face with food. So, sometimes I wasn't pushing myself, it was just that I wasn't sitting.

ETA: I started doing 30 day shred. I'm on Level 1, finished day 2. What I've read on the web was that people did each level for 10 days in a row and lost a few pounds and inches. So, I'm giving it a go. I also am journaling my food.

So, do you think that Jillian looks like she weights 115 or even 125? I really thought she weighed more.
Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 05:00 PM  
videofit

Joanna, your instinct may be right to eat a little more for a week or two to see what happens. Do you know if you're getting enough protein? Jillian has suggested that if you've been exercising and dieting "hard." It's great that you're so focused. Once you reach your goal, take photos and measurements to refer to in the future.
Old 01-04-09, 05:05 PM  
ladybug79

I think you should focus more on how you look than on a number. Clarify: If you put on some muscle but take of some body fat your scale will not change much (if at all ) but your apperance will. Don't look at hitting a certain number on a scale as the be all end all. Put the scale away and take the pressure off yourself to reach a certain number. Years and years ago I was working with a trainer at the gym...after a few months I was FRUSTRATED as could be because I was busting my butt but the scale had only budged maybe a pound..it depended on the day. But when he tested my body fat I had dropped a few % points (from 23% to 19%) My body was changing but I was so focused on needing the scale to drop that I couldn't see it. I was also still a bit bulky because I was not doing enough in the D dept to really drop some fat..so I was building muscle underneath it giving me a bulkier look (especially in my legs). But had he not checked my bf and told me things were changing I was ready to give up completely because all that hard work was not showing on the scale. Put it away for a while and just do your thing. Take that number pressure off. If you looked exactly how you wanted to look and were over the moon thrilled with your apperance would you care what the scale showed???
ladybug79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 05:10 PM  
Taiga

You've done a great job and from where I'm standing everything is right on track. From my own experience, I can say that taking off the "finish" pounds always takes finer adjustments. This is newer territory for you and it is perfectly normal to have to experiment to find what works best for your body. Though shared ideas can help build a plan, you will most likely find that your best "formula" will come through trial and error.

As a smaller person (just under 5'3"), I can say that I have never encountered a calculated formula that provided an accurate calorie count for my body. Even as a very active person (scheduled exercise and sports), I have always needed far fewer calories than what those formulas suggested. I typically need to maintain between 1100-1200 calories per day to stay at "fighting weight". I'm sure someone will want to jump in and tell me how dropping below 1200 cal will crash my metabolism. My response to that is that the supposedly "golden rule" of 1200 cal for basal metabolism does not work for all bodies. Does it really make sense that 1200 cal is the minimum for someone 5'7" (and say130lbs) and someone my size? Does it make sense for someone who is 20yo versus 60 yo (hormonal status, muscular density etc)? In addition, after they lose weight, many folks over look that they need less calories to fuel a smaller body. My experiences tell me that science can give a guide but my body's response does not always go by the book. I'm certainly not telling you that you should drop your calories or that my range is what your body needs. You may need more calories. I'm just suggesting that you may not find a book or a calculation that suits your unique needs.

You may also find that the calorie in /calorie out rule can easily be defied. For instance, if I drop my calories to the low end of range and work out very hard, my weight will not budge. But if I drop to the lower range of calories and choose more gentle workouts (walking, yoga etc), the weight comes off fairly quickly. We have to contend with stress hormones in the mix. Too much physical stress (low sleep, low calories, high physical activity) can cause the release of hormones that hinder weight loss. So how much stress is too much? It varies greatly on an individual basis (age, sleep, emotional status, health status etc). This is why so many folks report different paths to loss of those last pounds. It takes some experimentation. I agree with Spanishcurls though in that thoughts can affect your progress. You are not "stuck". You are just at that point where you need to get to know your body on a different level.

ETA: I was re-reading the other posts---- there are so many good responses and a variety of perspectives to consider. More tools in the shed
Old 01-04-09, 07:02 PM  
taprice

the last 10 lbs

Hi,

My DH had been working out consistently for way over a year and lost 10 lbs, but still wanted to loose 10 more, which wouldn't seem to budge. I finally convinced him to do two things. First, he gave sugar and most whites, and second, he changed up his workout some to put a little shock in his training. He's finally lost about 8 more pounds and I feel certain he'll loose the rest. Plus he lost them in about 6 weeks. Honestly, I think that he is actually consuming more calories, but they are clean calories and it's made a huge difference. He's not necessarily working out more, he just spiced up what he was doing. For example instead of an hour session on the elliptical twice a week, he might go for two hours once a week. Plus he does some running and cycling and has changed those up too. I think periodic shocks should be built into every exercise program just so you don't get stuck in plateaus. It's not exercising more, it's exercising smarter.

Like the others said, I wouldn't be consumed with a number, but if it is your goal, then go for it. Why not? It's not hard to gain back the weight if you get too thin

Tracy
taprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 07:26 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by taprice
Hi,

......... Honestly, I think that he is actually consuming more calories, but they are clean calories and it's made a huge difference.............

Tracy

Could not agree more! Another reason why (for me) the calorie in/calorie out rule gets thrown out the window. When I'm in "maintain" mode, I can consume additional "clean calories" without gaining. But if I switch to more processed foods with about the same calorie count, the pounds show up fairly quickly.
Old 01-04-09, 09:01 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyday

So, do you think that Jillian looks like she weights 115 or even 125? I really thought she weighed more.
If I compare her to myself, I think she looks as if she weighs 100.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 09:05 PM  
spanishcurls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj

If I compare her to myself, I think she looks as if she weighs 100.
I'm her height and similar weight but no way do I look like her! I wish!
spanishcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 09:16 PM  
Tugger31

I agree with the above post in that the "scientific 1200 calorie minimum" is thrown out the window if you're petite....none of the formulas tend to work if you're short and/or near your goal weight. However being near your goal weight is entirely different than being near your goal body fat percentage!

I also agree that stress plays a huge factor as well. I do much better, ie. actually see better results when I get more sleep and have a better attitude.

I need to get that voice out of my head that says "[blank] lbs is too thin" or "dont ever go below 1200 cals per day" etc etc.

I have got to believe that if I eat when I'm hungry and eat cleanly with an emphasis on protein, fruits and veggies, get enough sleep, drink enough water and really go all out with my weight training I've got to reach my goals!

It all sounds so simple doesnt it?? hehe
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitday.com, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, results