Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-09, 03:19 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Those stubborn last ten pounds---any success stories?

Grrr, I am feeling frustrated today. I have lost about 20 pounds already and am now within 'normal' for both BMI and body fat percentage---but the high end of normal. I want to get it down about ten more pounds. I always heard the last ten pounds are really hard to shed, and I shrugged off my stalling as 'I have a sweet tooth and am not always perfectly careful.' But the past few weeks, I have felt *really* close to my goal and have been super-careful. And it just isn't happening.

I have become a little obsessed with Jillian Michaels lately and reading her books, listening to her podcasts, watching Biggest Loser Australia on YouTube etc. She is the same height as me, and according to her bio, about 8 pounds lighter. And there is just no way that me right now, minus those eight pounds, will look like her. I just don't know what else to do. Jillian likes circuit workouts. I'm doing that. I raised my weights, even. Jillian likes body weight exercises like push-ups. I am doing that too. I'm walking about 45 minutes a day on top of that (not walking very hard---I plan to up the ante in that regard---but even so) and pushing myself during the workouts. It's more than the Leslie I was doing before this.

But I cannot seem to get below 135. Three days ago, I did hit 134 but the NEXT DAY I was back at 137 for no reason at all, and the day after, I was down again to 135, where I have remained. Jillian is big on the math of losing weight. I took a quiz from her book where I had to calculate all sorts of things and read all about how this is a calories in/calories out equation. Based on what I am eating and the exercise I am doing, I *should* be still losing weight. But it just is not happening.

I am going to up my daily workout time so I hit her recommended five hours a week (I am currently at about 3 and a half) but I am not sure how to best allocate that extra time. And beyond that one improvement, I just not sure what else I can do. It seems like no matter what I do, these last few pounds just are not coming off. Advice? Suggestions? Commiseration? The thing is, I find maintaining really easy so I know if I can lick these last few pounds, I'll be in great shape. I just don't know what else to do here.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 03:33 AM  
CarlaShanti

First, don't compare yourself to someone else--particularly a fitness professional! Jillian obviously has a high ratio of muscle, of course her weight is going to seem high, because muscle is denser than fat and so a pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat!

I also don't think it helps to latch onto one guru too much. Look at your post. Jillian looks like this, Jillian says that, Jillian likes such and so. Maybe you need to try to figure out what Joanna thinks and likes and responds to.

Watch out, too, for 'magical thinking': 'If I could only _____ then things would be great.' You just said, 'If I can lick these last few pounds, I'll be in great shape.' Well, that won't be the end of the struggle, plus you're always going to find people who look and seem in 'better shape' than you, no matter how far you take it. So beware of those thought patterns!

Of course, it won't hurt anything to try eating less and working out more, and don't forget to also take regular measurements to see if there's any change there even if the scale doesn't seem to be budging.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 03:55 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

How's your diet - can you safely reduce by 100-200 calories per day? Are you drinking enough water? If you normally eat 3 meals, try spreading the same food out into 5-6 mini meals instead. Or try the reverse.

Your exercise sounds good, but you could try substituting interval cardio like HIIT instead of walking a couple of times a week to 'shock' your system and burn extra calories.

Otherwise, you probably just have to relax and be patient.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 03:58 AM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Carla, it's not so much that I am comparing myself per se or 'latching on' to one instructor. I am trying to be consistent and follow an 'expert' plan for once instead of just doing whatever I want to I think I may need to up my calories a little, actually. I was following the Sparkpeople recommendation, but once you deduct what I was burning on exercise, I may be getting a little low. Grrr. I am *so* close, I just really want to succeed at this
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 06:11 AM  
CarlaShanti

Trust me, I know what you mean. I would love to lose 8 pounds, just 8 pounds! But it's an arbitrary thing for me, I just want to see how I look and feel at 129 (my 'magic moment' is to be under 130!). So I've started journaling my food intake and I'm thinking of getting a heart rate monitor to see how much I burn during exercise. I really have NO idea what I burn.

CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 08:32 AM  
spanishcurls

I know exactly how you feel. Interestingly enough, I was reading the latest issue of Self magazine. There was an interview with Jillian and she posted an exercise routine. In a side bar, she says that when she films The Biggest Loser, she weighs 115 pounds but the minute the show wraps up, she gains 10 pounds, as she feels her best at 125 pounds (but feels she looks best on camera at 115 pounds).

I am also 5 '2" and I shed about 8 pounds not too long ago to reach 118-120 pounds. I am not 100% familiar about the rules on writing about dieting, so I hope I don't get in trouble, but I cut back on portions. That's all I did. I made sure I always had left overs on my plate. I also would take a bite or two of a protein bar after my workouts. I know they are high in calories so I would make one bar last 2-3 days.

Also, I'm a firm believer in that your thoughts can affect your life. In your post, you wrote: "I always heard the last ten pounds are really hard to shed" So, since that seems to be your belief, that is what the world is going to show you. Now, this may seem far out there for many, but it's just what I believe. I kept on repeating my goal weight in my head over and over all the time.

I also added a bit more cardio as well. I work out at the gym and before, say, a weight class, I would get on the treadmill or Stair Master for just 20 or so minutes before the class. That seemed to help.

Good luck Joanna! I know it can feel like it's never going to happen, but it can and it will! And please don't forget- you already shed TWENTY pounds! That is freaking incredible!!!!!!!!!! Good for you!!
spanishcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 08:35 AM  
spanishcurls

Oh, I also wanted to add one more thing. I did one of those online calculators and it put my body fat around 21%. I had a free session at the gym with a trainer and she used clippers to measure my body fat. She said it was around 11.4%. I was shocked, started laughing and said it was wrong. She said you cannot rely on those online calculators. She then used this other contraption, I had to hold something, and it came to around 17% or 18%. She said it was probably somewhere in the middle, around 13%-14%.
spanishcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 09:54 AM  
MichelleRN

Joanna, I am fighting those 10 lbs too....I'm 5'5 and went to 140-142 since I hit 45....Jillian is excellent to listen to - her radio show is chock full of the best research,endochrine docs, natural healing, ground breaking peer reviewed science - I love that show!

For me, eating more did NOT work, 1200 calories a day and the 45 mnute workout are working....higher calories and teaching 2 hours a day (turbokick and bodypump) - didn't lose a pound....but I'm older now and less willing to starve for a number on the scale! Getting to a point where its not so important!
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 10:17 AM  
daisysunshine

Hi Jo! and Michelle (hugs)

You guys are so tiny hehe

Okay - remember Jillian also said that those extra 10 lbs everyone wants to lose are usually called vanity pounds and chances are you are having trouble releasing those pounds because maybe your body wants them. So it's no longer trying to LOSE them, but to look yummy Joanna and yummy Michelle WITH them. like do some extra weight work to look a little bit more cut (or dance-inspired workouts ala Barre or soemthing, to get more of a dancer steamline; i know these are banished - but you know what I mean, either a Cathecut or the other end of the specturm]

You guys are doing great I'm so jealous!

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 04:02 PM  
MichelleRN

Daisy - you are so right, and hug ya back! And at this age, there's a sanity that isn't going to base my net worth on 10 lbs! There's a reality that growing up, people, including my parents liked me if I was thin and pretty....and all I heard was I needed to lose weight otherwise....and at 5'5 the heaviest I ever was as a teen was 125 (but not muscular).....through my 20's I got over the starvation/marathon workout disorder, and was fit and happy at 129-135 - and out of the blue, mid life came, figure got more girly,and the 10 lbs keep trying to come onto me...and I couldn't give a rat's ass about starving ever again, nor will I give up eating a normal dinner, nor will I stay no thanx to a christmas cookie or a glass of wine....so you're right, its coming to peace with that.

BUT!!!! The VIDIOT obsesssion has only grown with age, and I'm loving CLX! And eating healthy and getting more temperate may or may not drop the pounds, but I feel lots better!

Now I need to sendyou all a check for the therapy session!
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitday.com, last 10 pounds, last 5 pounds, results