Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-08, 03:26 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question Any Planet Fitness members here?

I'm thinking of joining as an add-on to my friend's membership, which would only cost $20 start-up and $10/month. I'm not even a gym-type person but at that price I'm thinking it might be worth it even if I only go 1x a week. Plus, of course I'd have access to cardio and weight machines I don't have at home. Anyone have positive or negative comments about their membership? (RE: their "judgement-free zone" and supposed blaring horns for loud grunters, etc. My local PF does not do this or other obnoxious behavior and there are LOTS of burly guys there.) I'm interested in hearing comments from actual members or ex-members. Thanks!

Also, does anyone have suggestions for concise gym workouts that would get me in and out of the gym in, like, 30 minutes? TIA!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 03:37 PM  
ooty

I now go to a PF. I also probably only go 1X a week, both because I prefer running outdoors when it is nice and also because I can only go when DH is not traveling ( otherwise it is hard to schedule it in between picking up and dropping off 2 kids at diff places). Anyways, I only use it for cardio.

I was apprehensive of the place as it is cheap, but the one I go to is fabulous.. tons of machines.. lots of people.. all nice.. I actually have no clue as I don't pay attention once I put on the headphones. I avoided the locker room, but I tried it one day and it was very clean and no problems whatsoever. I have since then showered there a few times. I loved my old gym, smaller, a bit more posh, but cost me $45. But given that I only go 1X.. I am happy with the new place. I am in CT.
Old 05-03-08, 07:50 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ok, Ooty, that's good to know! My local one looks fine too (I'm in NY).
Old 05-03-08, 08:43 PM  
ooty

Lucky: I didn't go to PF for a long time as I liked my gym. DH was a member at PF and kept telling me that it was fine. I actually quit the old gym as I couldn't go to the gym when I started having back pain. I asked them to downgrade me to $20 a month membership as I could not go to the classes and only wanted to use the bike. They asked me to pay $50 for downgrading and I got ticked off.

I paid $45 for so many months without using the gym that I figured even if I did not like PF, I would only lose $120 for a year. I think they will raise the fee to $15 after the first year.

I am very happy with PF for my needs now. They have some 30 minute PF express circuit workout thing ( like Curves). I haven't used it and it may not be adequate for your purposes ( I mean if you are an intermediate to advanced exerciser). In the fall, I intend to take their sessions where they show how to use each equipment. They have these sessions regularly in our PF.

For comparison, I don't like the Bally's fitness in our area. They cost a bit more and not nice at all.
Old 05-03-08, 10:20 PM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star

Also, does anyone have suggestions for concise gym workouts that would get me in and out of the gym in, like, 30 minutes? TIA!
Lucky,

Some ideas:

Try the shorter iTrains. There are iStrength or Tread/climb/cycle workouts that will fit your bill. I like workouts like iclimb Circuit or iTread ballet that provide you with cardio + resistance intervals in 30 to 40 minutes.

There are plenty of free resources on the Net where you can get great weight training circuit ideas that you can complete in about 30 minutes, if you have the time to look them up.

There are also books that give good ideas for time efficient workouts based on your level of fitness, depending on the type of workout you are looking to do. I started working out from books after I joined a gym and think it is a great way to complement videos.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 10:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, I forgot about iTrains! Thanks for the tip, Vee.
Old 04-19-11, 08:55 PM  
chrisaerobics

Hey! I was a member of planet fitness, but, I had to cancel early on this year because of the fact that I am finally moving to another city in a nearby state! How exciting!

"You can do it! Always! You know you can! I know you can!"
chrisaerobics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 09:23 PM  
Elise7

I would also check out Fitness 19. During sales, you can sign up for $9 a month which is a great deal.
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 10:18 PM  
SurferGirl

I'm not a member at Planet Fitness, but I think their commercials are hilarious!
Old 04-19-11, 10:34 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I think it's funny that my old thread was resurrected - it's 3 years old, lol.
By the way, I've joined - and quit - Planet Fitness in the interim!

Tags
gym membership, planet fitness