Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-08, 02:15 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

Rebounding for weight loss?

Is it possible to lose weight using a rebounder for cardio? I'm doing great at my weights (thank you Jari Love) and have lost weight, but would like to lose more. I've posted before that I HATE cardio. Once again I have pulled my rebounder out and will try to use it, but am wondering if anyone has lost weight doing this as their main method of cardio. It does get my heart rate up if I "jog" on it. I can finally see and feel my muscles again. I think if I lost more fat I could see them even better.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 02:31 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Yes. If you feel it gets your HR up, then it's great, especially if you aren't doing cardio now. It will make a difference to do anything, and rebounding is joint friendly and supposedly good for you in other ways (lymphatic system or something). Plus you own one!

I personally have to add in lots of punches, occasionally forceful high jumps, and also wear a 5lb weighted vest to get my HR close enough to match a typical cardio session (still doesn't get up there as if I were jogging). If you find the rebounder doesn't challenge you enough or you aren't meeting your goals with it, you might try incorporating these ideas.

I did lose weight once the summer I first got it. I used it about 1 hour a day with my iPod shuffle blaring my favorite music.
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 02:34 PM  
spotted zebra

I lost more weight rebounding than I was expecting (25 pounds). I'm now at my ideal weight. I primarily ran and jogged on my rebounder and worked at keeping my heart rate up. Blanche Black's "Bouncin' in the House" has good jogging/sprinting segments, and the one DVD that inspired me to keep at it. I'd often replay the last two segments to get in more cardio. Other people might find the emphasis on jogging and other basic moves in that program too repetitive or boring, but I'm an ex-jogger and it suited me perfectly. I also like how it was filmed outdoors in a park. I have a few others by her that are also good (quite fun actually) with more variety in moves (higher jumps, etc.), but for whatever reason the basic moves in BITH make it my favorite. Adding weighted gloves helps too.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 02:56 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Definitely, especially if you do some interval work on it.
Something like Cardio Coach, doing jogging, running and sprinting on the rebounder, is a good fat-loss workout.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 02:56 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

Thanks for your replies. I'll add some weighted gloves. Spotted Zebra, where did you find Bouncin in the House? I've never heard of it. Honestly, the only rebounding dvd I have came with my UR and I never use it. It is not even properly chaptered. There are 3 workouts on the dvd and you have to ff through the first to get to the next. It's worthless. You guys also have me thinking about a weighted vest.
Old 04-02-08, 03:03 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane
I'll add some weighted gloves.
Just be careful, the G-force of rebounding makes the weight act as if it were heavier than it is, and that can cause a lot of stress on the elbows and shoulders. Keep your arm movements controlled, and start with a very light weight (and don't use it for warm-up and cool-down).

Have fun!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 03:04 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

I really get my HR up with Cardiolates rebounding DVD. I like their style of rebounding better than JB Berns', altho you can do it any way you like!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 03:29 PM  
cmarsh4

I really love doing Turbo Jams on my rebounder. I can do everything high impact but not worry about my joints. Because of some joint issues I try to keep workouts fairly low impact but the rebounder gives me the opportunity to run, jog, and jump again so I actually burn more calories. I love doing free style intervals with great music too.

Chris
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 05:55 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I have never done a Turbo Jam because of the impact. I am now reconsidering. You guys have such great ideas!
Old 04-02-08, 08:19 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane
Thanks for your replies. I'll add some weighted gloves. Spotted Zebra, where did you find Bouncin in the House? I've never heard of it. Honestly, the only rebounding dvd I have came with my UR and I never use it. It is not even properly chaptered. There are 3 workouts on the dvd and you have to ff through the first to get to the next. It's worthless.
Here are a few links. Amazon.com and some rebounder websites sell it too, but for a higher price. They also have her two follow-up DVDs. All three are filmed outdoors in different settings: one in a park, one at the beach, and the third by a lake. The two follow-ups - "The Bouncin' Circuit" and "The Smart Bounce Beyond Basics" - are longer than BITH. Blanche is an older, more mature fitness instructor with a background in nursing and rehabilitation. The descriptions on Hiline's website don't do the DVDs justice IMO. BITH is divided into four parts and while the write-up says it's beginner to level one, it's really only beginner level for people who choose to stop after the first or second parts.

http://www.hilinevideoworks.com/adva...+house&x=3&y=5

http://www.amazon.com/Bouncin-House-...7229076&sr=1-1

---------------------

ETA: Here's a cheaper Amazon link for Canadians:

http://www.amazon.ca/Bouncin-House-B...7395352&sr=1-1
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounder friendly, rebounding, success stories