Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-02, 10:31 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Plyometrics...

I have a foot problem (sesamoiditis) and try not to do a lot of plyo. But I don't want to eliminate it completrely as it is so good for the bones. Dr. Miriam Nelson recomends just jumping up and down every day for bone health in "Strong Women, Strong Bones". You might want to look for this book in your library. So, I'll do a few of the plyo moves, like jumping jacks, and then modify the rest. I honestly don't know if rebounding is as good for the bones. Any expert opinions on that?

Here are some other things I would consider:

- What type of flooring are you working out on in your workout area? Is it just carpet over concrete? That would be murder on your feet. There are a lot of flooring options from inexpensive to outrageous.

-Did your podiatrist suggest orthotics? Sometimes even just the widely available Spenco brand shoe inserts will add enough cushioning to alleviate foot pain.

-How about your shoes? Are they a good brand with a lot of cushioning and stabilization? Good shoes are a must if you work out often.

-You might want to get a second opinion from another podiatrist or even a sport's physician. (And BTW, from personal experience, a cortisone shot is a LAST RESORT!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-02, 10:46 AM  
PamelaP

Re: Plyometrics...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alta
(And BTW, from personal experience, a cortisone shot is a LAST RESORT!)
I always thought this too, but had one nearly two weeks ago in my left heel for PF and I haven't had even a twinge of pain since then. I'm astonished but very happy with the results so far...hopefully it'll keep up! I'll still have to get orthotics to keep the problem from recurring, since I do have a monster heel spur, but at the moment I'm very glad I didn't nix the shot.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-02, 11:01 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Pamela...

I have heard that cortisone shots can be almost like a miracle. And I'm glad to hear you have had relief! I just wanted to stress trying other options first. My ex-podiatrist gave me one on my FIRST visit for minor foot pain. He severely injured a nerve and it was a frightening, painful nightmare for almost a year!

My DH had several lumbar cortisone injections which had no effect whatsoever in alleviating his back pain. It seems to be rather random in it's effectiveness. I still feel it is a last resort.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-02, 12:47 PM  
PamelaP

I totally agree, Alta

Cortisone shots should definitely not be the *first* choice. I feel lucky that I've had this much relief, but I was only willing to try it after several other more conservative options (arch supports, strappings, anti-inflammatories, etc.) failed. I think the cortisone shot came on my fifth visit. And it still won't cure a heel spur that's about the size of Rhode Island so orthotics will still be in my future somewhere.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast twitch, slow twitch