Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-02, 10:50 AM  
Tuvak

Hey I have to chime in and say I pretty much have the same experience as scooter chick and others.
I am training for a tri this summer and for a while I thought I wouldn't work my legs really heavy cause I'm doing so much running and biking and I didn't want to fatigue them.
Well guess what - after 6 weeks my legs were bigger and not as well toned all my clothes were tighter and I had gained some weight.
I am now back to doing PS legs with pretty heavy weights and just today I put my jeans on and after one month of going back to heavy weights they are the baggy way I like them to be again.
So for this gal heavy weights ala
Cathe style or gym style are what work for me.

It's funny because I actaually prefer to do endurance weight workouts - but for me those are only good for maintance and only for so long.
Tuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-02, 11:03 AM  
ScooterChick
Registered

Poundage

I think Junemom's experience shows what I should've said earlier...that it shouldn't matter what exact poundage you're using, if you're lifting as heavy as you can. I would think you'd get results either way. Again, I'm no expert, but I definitely want to stress that I don't personally think results will come only when you reach some magical amount of poundage.
ScooterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-02, 11:31 AM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

This is really making me think

ScooterChick, I understand what you are saying when you mention trying to "do it all".

I often try to figure out how to fit everything in, for example, FIRM total body workouts, pilates, serious stretching videos, yoga, endurance strength workouts, kickboxing, hi/lo dance, etc., etc. I have a ton of videos that I never do, and I often feel like I must be missing something! I often do every video in a series just to make sure I covered everything, even if I hate the workout. Very silly.

I think that simplifying my workouts, and not worrying so much over which type of videos might make my fitness "improve", or might be more thorough, could be the answer. I have never thought about it this way!

Thanks,
Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-02, 11:39 AM  
junemom
VF Supporter

there's also the compulsion factor...

...of trying to lift heavier and heavier. That is part of the experience of weight lifting that I enjoy, is that burn or fatigue at the end of a set, taking a rest, and then being able to come back even stronger sometimes for another set of the same weight, even though it was so hard just a minute before. I think this experience is particular to simple gym-style weight training (ie, not endurance training like the firm, which has it's own but I find, different rewards). There is also the challenge factor, for me, of tracking what weights I used last time and trying to up it a bit each time. I think these things keep me lifting as heavy as I can, more than what the visual results will be.

I'm not pooh-poohing a concern with visual results and I am really pleased with seeing more definition, or size, or slimming effects, or whatever, just that I tend to forget this stuff when I get into the workout itself and really can't help trying to go as heavy as I can each time.

Christine
junemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-02, 01:15 PM  
TallMomof2
VF Supporter

Lifting heavy works for us heavier peeps

Back before Christmas I did a PS, S&H rotation for about a month and I lost 13lbs on the scale! I was only doing cardio on non-weight days maybe twice a week. My eating was not bad, not great. I dropped a inch in the chest , 2 inches in the waist (none in the hips, bummer) and an inch in each thigh.

I'm working up to doing S&H and PS again so I can lose some more weight! It's counterintuitive but heavy weights burns more fat (for me) than cardio.
Old 05-14-02, 02:10 PM  
GrkChick

Smile Hey, thanks!

I think you ladies may just have pursuaded me to go out and finaly buy the P.S. series a move I've contemplated for a long time now. I only use Firm tapes for my weight work so far but I have already bought MIS and like it [not love] but I really miss the days of steady progress. Besides I don't think I'll mind some bulking of the good variety

Denise
GrkChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast twitch, slow twitch