Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-04, 08:53 PM  
bluecaffeine

Tonetics is dull. I got it at a yardsale and wasn't impressed. It's just basic strength moves with no weights, if I'm remembering correctly.
bluecaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 09:14 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have this one, but have never done it! Since it's one of my many virgin workouts, I'll give it a try next week and let you know what I think. I either picked it up at Overstock or E-bay last year for pretty cheap.

Pam
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 09:31 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

It does look like Figuretics is the one that is like Callanetics - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...video&n=507846

From the cover "simple high repetition movements to tone and shape your body"
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 10:46 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Really, really dated looking...

I took a look at this one last night. If you can get past the pastel, shiny, spandex leotards (and leg warmers) it might be an OK workout for some, but most will not want this! The music and set are blah. Indoors, grey carpet, cityscape backdrop. It's 30 min. in length with an intro by Helen Gurley Brown, and an ad for Oil of Olay.

The workout is led by Deborah, and I've never seen her before, but she's alright. She does give good form pointers, so she's a better lead than some instructors. The workout begins with a warm-up. Pretty slow moving, gentle stretching. The base of the workout itself has plies, lunges, squats. You do some slow arm movements, stretching out the calves, and then you're down on the floor for pushups. There's also some ab work (roll downs, crunches.) Then, you're on to some legwork (leg lifts, more stretching, inner thigh work.) Lastly, she cools you down.

Back in the day, maybe some thought this was a good workout because there wasn't much out on the market? :rolleyes:

There are no fast reps in this. No equipment needed. But, IMO I think there are better workouts with a much better look to them. I wouldn't waste your time on this one. The copyright is 1988, but it looks very early 80's to me. You won't break much of a sweat because it moves so slow. I don't know how it compares to the other Cosmo workouts. Maybe this is better than the others? I probably won't be keeping my copy, now that I've done this one.

Pam
Old 09-13-04, 11:05 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Barb S.,

quote: by Barb S.,
Now I am not even sure which workout I had!!!
end quote:

This instructor has blonde shoulder length hair and is wearing a blue scarf. She's tall, in good shape, very tone. Not thin by model standards, but normal-thin. Her shiny leotard is blue, and she and the other gals have white legwarmers with white hi-top aerobic shoes.

If the camera lights weren't reflecting off of all that polyester (and blinding me) there might be a bit of merit in this (but not enough!) Even in the early 80's (I wore leg warmer too) but I never had light reflecting outfits, ha ha!
Old 09-13-04, 11:39 AM  
Susan

Quote:
Even in the early 80's (I wore leg warmer too) but I never had light reflecting outfits, ha ha!
Ok, I confess!!!

I wore the light-reflecting outfits.

There, my secret is out. I feel as though a huge, shiny, Lycra weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Or should I say shoulder-PADs?

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 01:55 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

This might be the kind of workout that would be good to show at a VF get together, but these girls are very serious about their workout, so there's not much humor here! Overall, it's kinda boring.

Maybe there's a young VFer out there who's never seen legwarmers? I thought I was so cool in mine in the mid-seventies, early eighties. But, I was a fan of disco music, too.

Ok, I'm embarrassed now that I even own this VHS tape! And, that I've shared too much information. :rolleyes:

Pam
Old 09-14-04, 08:55 AM  
SurferGirl

I own Figuretics (and love it!)

It's very similar to Callan, because the whole tape is isometric movements.

I find myself doing this tape all the time and It's only 30 minutes long.

Karen
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
figuretics