Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-22, 05:58 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Thanks all for your responses, it is much appreciated.

I will be honest I really haven't been that motivated to do my DVDs lately, I am really enjoying the gym. Plus the machines are helping strengthen my lower half, where with my DVDs there are squats and lunges which are fine but I struggle with some of those moves where as the machines go, I can do them without discomfort and am slowly increasing the weight too.

We will see how long this phase lasts, could be a temporary thing but for now I am enjoying it. Eventually I can see myself doing a mixture of both because I would like to get back to my DVDs eventually, and if I can clear out some that are no longer being used, get rid of some clutter as well.

I actually just returned from the gym but for some reason my key FOB wouldn't work so I couldn't get in, I was actually a bit disappointed. Years ago I would have said, oh well.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 01:15 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I have a gym membership and go do weight workouts a couple of times a week. I have limited space at home for certain exercises. And I like to go to occasional yoga classes at the gym.
Old 11-08-22, 03:06 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Thanks all for your responses, it is much appreciated.

I will be honest I really haven't been that motivated to do my DVDs lately, I am really enjoying the gym. Plus the machines are helping strengthen my lower half, where with my DVDs there are squats and lunges which are fine but I struggle with some of those moves where as the machines go, I can do them without discomfort and am slowly increasing the weight too.

We will see how long this phase lasts, could be a temporary thing but for now I am enjoying it. Eventually I can see myself doing a mixture of both because I would like to get back to my DVDs eventually, and if I can clear out some that are no longer being used, get rid of some clutter as well.

I actually just returned from the gym but for some reason my key FOB wouldn't work so I couldn't get in, I was actually a bit disappointed. Years ago I would have said, oh well.
I’m actually about to join the YMCA. I say it’s so I can take my teens for daily cardio, but I’m excited as well. I’ve managed to maintain my recent weight loss through DH’s health issues (4-5 months) but I’m struggling to find motivation to workout at home (even with my rower — I’m a little burned out). I’m looking forward to the change!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-22, 07:52 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I’m actually about to join the YMCA. I say it’s so I can take my teens for daily cardio, but I’m excited as well. I’ve managed to maintain my recent weight loss through DH’s health issues (4-5 months) but I’m struggling to find motivation to workout at home (even with my rower — I’m a little burned out). I’m looking forward to the change!
Yes...this change might be just what you need.

There are cons to the gym of course. I am able to walk there so I don't bring my cell phone or anything. I am rather floored at the number of people who cannot seem to put down their phones for a half hour or hour and do their workout. On the weight machines especially, they will do a set, then look at their phone for 5 minutes before doing another. I will rest for 20 seconds then move to the next set, complete my sets and get off the machine.

Maybe I am just a giant weirdo but I don't get it. That is one perk of exercising at home, which is why I am hoping to strike a nice balance between the two.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-22, 08:25 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Yes...this change might be just what you need.

There are cons to the gym of course. I am able to walk there so I don't bring my cell phone or anything. I am rather floored at the number of people who cannot seem to put down their phones for a half hour or hour and do their workout. On the weight machines especially, they will do a set, then look at their phone for 5 minutes before doing another. I will rest for 20 seconds then move to the next set, complete my sets and get off the machine.

Maybe I am just a giant weirdo but I don't get it. That is one perk of exercising at home, which is why I am hoping to strike a nice balance between the two.
Yes! I’m hoping to get a little *something* done at home before the girls wake up (they don’t wake up as early as me). Even if it’s just regular mobility and stretching stuff. I agree about phones but I did tell my teens that they could watch stuff while they work out. They’re not super thrilled I’ve sprung this (going to the gym) on them, but oh well. They need more movement, I need a change; it’s a win-win.

I used weight machines regularly in high school and can’t wait to try them again. Our softball coach also trained the football team, and he used the same strength-focused methods. He’s probably why I love strength training.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-22, 11:44 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to go to a Pilates studio for a while to work out on the equipment. I really liked it for a while. The instructor was very experienced, not a weekend certification. However I did burn out on it and longed for my dvds. Might try again in the new year.
Old 02-08-23, 09:43 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

I have a gym membership; after some practical problems, I hope to return soon enough.

My activities divide neatly enough because I've never had a fully appointed home gym (and don't plan to, for a number of practical reasons). As you can guess, I use the gym for settings and equipment that are unavailable or otherwise more impractical for me at home, such as heavier weights and even a pool (which I haven't used yet, for still more practical reasons, but would like to try sometime). My membership isn't for avoiding boredom, for other kinds of "psychological" variety, for having some group exercise experience (I prefer to do things at my own pace and have historically had an interesting schedule), or for socializing. I'm not uninterested in taking the free classes, but their timing hasn't quite matched my preferred scheduling.

I don't generally visit just for things that I can do at home, but I've often added them to other things, like using a yoga-based cooldown.

I'm generally interested in what's happening in the world of exercise videos, but my personal interest in exercise videos and home exercise is generally more limited to those things that I'm most able to do at home.

As I usually say in such threads, I'm happy that VF--whether from the top down or from the bottom up--isn't characteristically chauvinistic about home exercise. (The most anti-gym" comment in my experience was posted on the forum of an instructor who taught in, filmed in, and owned her own gym! Unless that thread revived after I stopped reading that forum, no one ever mentioned the irony. )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 10:42 AM  
BunnyHop

I recently started working with a physical fitness coach. I started with her one on one, just to help me get up my confidence (that yes, I can do this stuff consistently without injuring myself (again)).
Just this week a new cycle of her balance class started up, so now I'm doing that.
The work I'm doing now is mostly about rebuilding strength in my toes/feet/ankles/calves. Eventually we'll expand the work over the whole body, but the basic idea is to rebuild strength and agility in very basic ways so you feel more stable, strong and agile. So far so good.

I really appreciate the way she's been willing to meet me where I am and help me build from there in reasonable ways. I wish such coaching was more routinely available, if you ask me, everyone needs this stuff.

I had tried the standard aerobic class type gyms before, but without some feedback about what I should be doing it never felt as though I were doing much.

Tags
gym, gym membership, gyms, home vs gym