Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-23, 01:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I go with my adult kids occasionally to LA Fitness. It's a 45 minute drive for me. I enjoy being with my kids, and I like the offerings that a big gym has. I wish there was something similar where I live, but the best our small town has to offer is an Anytime Fitness.

I loved the eliptical and nautilus equipment. It was fun and motivating for me to work out in that environment again. And, the bonus for me was the hot tub. I'm in Minnesota, and there's nothing better than a hot soak for me.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-23, 02:08 PM  
joanna33

I’m a huge fan of the YMCA. I do both shallow and deep water aerobics or free style aqua jog. I use the cybex arc trainer, the helix lateral trainer for some cardio. I really like the assisted pull up / dip weight machine and the leg press. The classes are “meh” since I have a tremendous variety of dvds already at home. At the Y, we got an introduction to the fitness room and machines. There is personal training for a cost.
I have a bow flex max trainer at home.
Old 02-07-23, 06:08 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Chiming in here.

I was in PT for my hips and knees, and one of the benefits of my PT package was free access to the gym. I was using the gym quite a bit, my favorite was the elliptical machine and the lower body weight machines. I also liked a few of the upper body machines, mainly back, chest and triceps.

My PT has ended and I haven't been back in over a month, I need to get back in but I will need to purchase a membership but haven't done it yet. Ideally I would just like to go back to my videos but I would be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy the gym when I was there. I think I would enjoy a mixture of my videos and the gym, in other words go through my DVDs and just keep absolute must haves, then everything else can go. I need to be honest with myself with what DVDs I will actually use. I find that I prefer the weight machines to work legs, but still like dumbells for upper body with some weight machines thrown in. So I need to figure it all out. The good news is that I don't have tons of DVDs but I could stand to thin the herd a bit.

My SO has said if we get a different house we would likely buy an elliptical because it is something we would both use but that is down the road most likely.

But I really enjoyed the gym, it surprised me actually how much I enjoyed going there and how consistent I was. Who would have thought?
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 11:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Chiming in here.

I was in PT for my hips and knees, and one of the benefits of my PT package was free access to the gym. I was using the gym quite a bit, my favorite was the elliptical machine and the lower body weight machines. I also liked a few of the upper body machines, mainly back, chest and triceps.

My PT has ended and I haven't been back in over a month, I need to get back in but I will need to purchase a membership but haven't done it yet. Ideally I would just like to go back to my videos but I would be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy the gym when I was there. I think I would enjoy a mixture of my videos and the gym, in other words go through my DVDs and just keep absolute must haves, then everything else can go. I need to be honest with myself with what DVDs I will actually use. I find that I prefer the weight machines to work legs, but still like dumbells for upper body with some weight machines thrown in. So I need to figure it all out. The good news is that I don't have tons of DVDs but I could stand to thin the herd a bit.

My SO has said if we get a different house we would likely buy an elliptical because it is something we would both use but that is down the road most likely.

But I really enjoyed the gym, it surprised me actually how much I enjoyed going there and how consistent I was. Who would have thought?
I feel the same. For me, the thing about being at the gym is you're "all in" once you get there. With a long home video my eyes are on the clock the whole time, but at the gym you can move around and have so much equipment at your disposal. Before I know it I've been there an hour. I love being able to get cardio while reading or watching the TVs overhead for distraction. I eliminated a big portion of my DVDs the last few years.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 02:08 PM  
prettyinpink

For me the gym helps with variety and motivation, but location is key, too. When If I have to drive 20 minutes and parking is a pain, I’ll stop going.

Best scenario is if it’s close to home, work, or someplace else I have to go anyway at a good time.

Atmosphere matters a little bit. I tried out one gym years ago with very few windows where I could see myself not wanting to go after a while.

And there are still a few out there with bad business practices like long contracts, or making it difficult to cancel a membership.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym membership, gyms, ywca