Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-22, 11:12 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I marked each one that had because those are the ones that I will do again.
Samesies. I only do the sunshine ones; I just can't do the cloudy backgrounds, and there unfortunately more of those than I was expecting. Same with the step set.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 11:15 AM  
rhbrand

Well, which ones have the sunshine in them LOL.

I have done several of them, not the whole set yet, and enjoy them.

But no way could I just do these for cardio. I'd get bored out of my mind, but I can do them about 3-4 times a month when I want cardio I don't have to think to do,
Old 12-22-22, 07:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
I like her, and I like the concept, but the workouts are so repetitive, there's that strange voice with a British accent that introduces each workout, the states on the discs are not in a logical order at all, no information is provided about each location
the British accent sort of caught me off-guard too - enough to make me re-look at the case/label to make sure they had sent me the correct set!

While I was waiting for this set to be discounted on Amazon, i streamed the documentary "How the States Got Their Shape," in line with Jenny's concept, and marched "free-style" while watching the documentary. I even pulled out my Firm Wave for variety, used light weights, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Nah, I'm still digging it lol! But I don't do it exclusively. It serves a purpose in my collection - outdoor workouts, Jenny's wonderful personality, zoning out cardio when I don't want to think, and just strenuous enough (with weights and boosting) that I feel I've done something but haven't aggravated my knee. Could I do these every day? Heck no. But when I want to zone out and it's way to hot in my workout room for something strenuous and my knee is screaming for relief, I turn to this set.
^1. me too - these have been sitting on the shelf for >6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I feel the same! I don’t do them often. I like the scenery & sometimes I just need simplicity and gentle movement. I love Jenny and I admire her resilience, she’s been through so much in last few years.
yes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 08:36 PM  
kas97

This thread is making me think I need these! Help!
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 12:03 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

All of the videos in this series are filmed with just 1 camera.
I volunteer for a local public broadcasting studio and have come to appreciate the logistics of filming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Well, which ones have the sunshine in them LOL.
oddly, i was very disappointed in the Hawaii one, being that that's where I am from! she filmed on a beach on either an overcast day or very early in the morning before the sun came up. I'd describe it as grey - both in the sky and the water. In other words, if you're expecting a Gilad or Rodney Yee setting, you'll be disappointed. I still ventured on and did about 10 of the workouts so far.

The disc that has Hawaii contains has five states and I checked very quickly which ones were filmed on a sunny day:
Iowa: sunny
Missouri: clear day, neither sunny nor overcast
North Dakota: sunny in a field with a barn and random barrels in the background
Hawaii: overcast
New Jersey: clear day, neither sunny nor overcast, with Liberty Island in the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas97 View Post
This thread is making me think I need these! Help!
she has a few on youtube that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Below is a link to another video that Jenny recorded in the exact same setting in Hawaii, but wow, it is SO SUNNY. the one in the DVD "Walk Across America" for Hawaii is totally opposite - grey & overcast as described earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnS...zgel_rJbmLEvY5

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 07:32 PM  
kas97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
All of the videos in this series are filmed with just 1 camera.
I volunteer for a local public broadcasting studio and have come to appreciate the logistics of filming.oddly, i was very disappointed in the Hawaii one, being that that's where I am from! she filmed on a beach on either an overcast day or very early in the morning before the sun came up. I'd describe it as grey - both in the sky and the water. In other words, if you're expecting a Gilad or Rodney Yee setting, you'll be disappointed. I still ventured on and did about 10 of the workouts so far.

The disc that has Hawaii contains has five states and I checked very quickly which ones were filmed on a sunny day:
Iowa: sunny
Missouri: clear day, neither sunny nor overcast
North Dakota: sunny in a field with a barn and random barrels in the background
Hawaii: overcast
New Jersey: clear day, neither sunny nor overcast, with Liberty Island in the background

she has a few on youtube that will give you an idea of what to expect.

Below is a link to another video that Jenny recorded in the exact same setting in Hawaii, but wow, it is SO SUNNY. the one in the DVD "Walk Across America" for Hawaii is totally opposite - grey & overcast as described earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjnS...zgel_rJbmLEvY5
Thank you for that! I did the New Hampshire walk. It was okay - I didn't mind most of it and it was very Leslie-esq. I was confused by the rainbow until the end when I realized that was telling you the percent you had completed - I could not figure out what the numbers represented. And the bugs on the camera kind of grossed me out. I can probably live with the YouTube offerings where yesterday I was ready to buy the season on Prime!
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 07:36 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I did a couple that were on Youtube and those convinced me that I would be bored out of my mind with 48 more of the same. I love her personality though
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-22, 07:32 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I bought this set when it first came out with lower expectations as it is a "walking" type set. To my surprise, I did the workouts just about every Thursday (a low energy day for me) and made it through the whole set!
Sometimes I would do 2 workouts on Saturday when I had more time. Most of the time, I would add 5-10 stairs in the end of the single workouts I did on Thursdays. If I got bored with the walks up & back, I would substitute v-steps or out out in in walks.
So, these workouts served a purpose and I liked putting the magnets on the map. I tried to make notes on the walks, but I didn't do that for every walk. I didn't make notes on the scenery or weather. I will look at my notes and try to post some to this thread.
Now, I am not unhappy about buying this set, but I haven't done them once I finished the set. I prefer some kind of choreography in my workouts and a large variety of moves. However, when I am tired or injured, I can tolerate basic stuff as long as I am moving. I really wish Jenny or someone would make workouts with some kind of choreography, but I guess those workouts are not good sellers anymore.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-22, 07:07 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like my set, but I haven't done them as often as I should.

I do agree with others though and I am not a fan of the walk up and back several times throughout each workout, I am going to stop doing that and just march in place or do another move instead. I do think that part gets repetitive. And the last thing I need to do is irritate my hip flexors as they have plagued me enough this year.

I will say that I am glad they are not more than 30 minutes though, but I would feel that way about Leslie as well, that is the maximum time that I want to do a walking DVD.

I like Jenny and I like the different states, but there are a few that the scenery isn't that exciting. I think I like the ones filmed at night and by the water best.

I was thinking of getting the step set but I do not do step enough anymore to justify it, so that will be a pass. I do not regret getting the walking set though, for the most part I have enjoyed the ones I have but I don't do them constantly either. I have had some injuries this year so these have been nice to have for some simple cardio.

Good thread, I have been curious if people were still liking these.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hits and misses, jenny ford, walk across america, worst of