Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-22, 08:53 AM  
Tugger31

I have a few health challenges and have been dealing with the same issues as you have also add in some vertigo (and a puppy jumping on me instead of 2 yr old haha). For me I tried ALOT of online and dvd beginner workouts or workouts that were for "core" or "lower back" etc etc and there always were so many exercises I simply had to skip altogether or so many I had to modify that I wondered why I was even bothering to do this particular workout at all. That became very frustrating and discouraging. The things that helped me the most as I gained more strength (and confidence) was doing Jessica's Walk the Weight Off 30 Day Plan, and her Feel Good Fusion dvd which is all standing also doing exercises from this website

https://darebee.com/workouts.html

On that site there are alot of challenges and I just would pick and choose a few of their paper workouts for whatever focus I was interested in at the time. Since there wasn't much modifying with these I felt more "accomplished". I have also put together my own "modification library" so now when I come across a certain exercise I have an equivalent I can now do pain free so I am slowly coming back to my dvd library without alot less frustration.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 08:57 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Lots of great suggestions. Check your local library for dvds as they often have some of the seasons or workouts. Does your local PBS carry Classical Stretch in their programming? There are also a lot of free workouts on YouTube.

The biggest problem with people saying that Ess/CS hurts their back is not tucking the pelvis under when your arms are extended in front. Ess/CS is great for pain relief, but that pelvic tuck is fundamental to the program.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find a program that meets your needs! Feel free to PM me if you'd like some suggestions.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 09:30 AM  
anetta

Hi, I noticed that you are from Missouri and wanted to add the my PBS station channel 9 airs CS stretch episodes Monday-Friday at 5:30 am.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 09:42 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
You mentioned weak core and back. Do you know if you have a diastasis?

https://www.momsintofitness.com/diastasis-recti/

Classical stretch is great, but especially if you have diastasis, you might like a postnatal fitness program that specifically addresses the entire core, even if it’s been a few years since the last pregnancy. Mutu has been around for a while, though I have not used their system personally. https://mutusystem.com/en-us/
And VFers have in the past recommended Lindsay Brin, at momsintofitness in the link above.

Best of luck.
I do have some of this going on unfortunately. I've been doing diaphragmatic breathing, but I think I need to actually be doing some movement to better "find" my core. I do feel some improvement. That's another reason why for now I want to stick to standing or sitting exercises only, that gently help me engage my core more indirectly. I'll check this out, thank you! There's a lot of conflicting info out there about what to do or not do for this issue.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-22, 09:46 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have a few health challenges and have been dealing with the same issues as you have also add in some vertigo (and a puppy jumping on me instead of 2 yr old haha). For me I tried ALOT of online and dvd beginner workouts or workouts that were for "core" or "lower back" etc etc and there always were so many exercises I simply had to skip altogether or so many I had to modify that I wondered why I was even bothering to do this particular workout at all. That became very frustrating and discouraging. The things that helped me the most as I gained more strength (and confidence) was doing Jessica's Walk the Weight Off 30 Day Plan, and her Feel Good Fusion dvd which is all standing also doing exercises from this website

https://darebee.com/workouts.html

On that site there are alot of challenges and I just would pick and choose a few of their paper workouts for whatever focus I was interested in at the time. Since there wasn't much modifying with these I felt more "accomplished". I have also put together my own "modification library" so now when I come across a certain exercise I have an equivalent I can now do pain free so I am slowly coming back to my dvd library without alot less frustration.

I have Feel Good Fusion! I've just been intimidated by it. �� I'll explore more of her walks. I did fine with Barefoot Fusion Walk from YouTube but Latin Spice did me in. ������ I love Jessica but she does like her quick twisting standing ab work.

Old 01-11-22, 09:52 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Lots of great suggestions. Check your local library for dvds as they often have some of the seasons or workouts. Does your local PBS carry Classical Stretch in their programming? There are also a lot of free workouts on YouTube.

The biggest problem with people saying that Ess/CS hurts their back is not tucking the pelvis under when your arms are extended in front. Ess/CS is great for pain relief, but that pelvic tuck is fundamental to the program.

Best of luck to you. I hope you find a program that meets your needs! Feel free to PM me if you'd like some suggestions.
I'm glad you mentioned the tuck! Now I'm feeling less sure... Anytime I tried barre workouts that involved tucking, I felt like it was uncomfortable and strained my back. Maybe it's one of those things where it's hard to get the form right?

Old 01-11-22, 09:53 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by anetta View Post
Hi, I noticed that you are from Missouri and wanted to add the my PBS station channel 9 airs CS stretch episodes Monday-Friday at 5:30 am.

Anita
Thanks for this suggestion! Yes, I'm a transplant to Missouri. We don't get any tv channels... I'm also really not a morning person. 😅

Old 01-11-22, 10:01 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I am a HUGE fan of Classical Stretch/Essentrics, so please understand that I'm not trying to dissuade you, BUT if your back is hurting, I'm wondering if some T-Tapp might help. I encourage you to check out Trisch Richardson's youtube channel and, if you're on FB, her FB page:

Trisch Richardson's T-Tapp
I'm already feeling better! I know where I went wrong at least. I think addressing my tight muscles and working on my core will help me avoid low back tweaks like this in the future. My pelvis tends to get out of alignment as well ... improving flexibility and core stability should help with that too in the long run. It's honestly hard not to be discouraged, but I'm glad I'm committing to addressing this now, instead of years down the road when it would be even harder.

Old 01-11-22, 10:52 AM  
Karla25

Classical Stretch Season 12 is slower paced and might work for you. Season 4 has lots of instruction, she refers to her workbook in it. You might be able to pick one up on eBay. Here is a detailed review: Season 4 Review I like the detailed instructions & pace of this season.

Here's a connective tissue workout: Connective Tissue It's all standing so you might be able to use your phone. It helped me with my back issues.
Old 01-11-22, 12:06 PM  
alisoncooks

I love the idea of Classical Stretch, but it always seems to tweak my back, even when I’m in a good place, physically.

I didn’t read all the replies, but if you’re able to work from YouTube, I wholeheartedly recommend yoginimelbourne (formerly Paula Lay yoga). She’s gone through a couple of pregnancies over the life of her channel and she’s done wonderfully gentle practices before/during/after. Some of her stuff is still too strenuous for me (and my back) but she’s given me many of my favorite practices! https://m.youtube.com/c/yoginimelbourne

As for core strength, the first couple of sessions in MVMT with Cailin’s 30 day series focus on “firing up the core.” I’ve found them helpful, even when I find other workouts in the plan too challenging. I sometimes just go back to those first two entry-level workouts. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G602Rj65bto

“Yoga with Joelle” has some really nice pain-relief practices that I’ve found useful. Her 10 minute SI Joint Pain video has become a staple. https://m.youtube.com/c/YogawithJoelle/playlists

Naomi Gottlieb-Miller has a lot of gentle practices for “mom bodies” (postnatal, hips, core, etc). My youngest is almost 14, but I still use some of her stuff! I also really like her SI Joint practice.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJSbWGvPYAMvYa_fOHM6GCQ
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, pelvic tuck, restarting, season 4, twisting