Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-20, 02:15 PM  
severin817

I just wanted to clarify that I edited my post after the no diet talk comment. I realized my error and deleted what I mentioned about specific daily protein amounts for maintaining and building muscle.

My apologies if I started anything. It wasn't my intention.

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 02:32 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I didn't see the diet posts before they got edited. But I for one am glad this is a diet-talk-free zone. Especially this month, you can't go anywhere without people going on and on about diets and weight loss. When it comes to fitness books I want to know about the exercises.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 02:20 PM  
MARIKA

Is anyone following the workout plan? I liked the book but my mind can't get by the working out less part. Which if you are going HEAVY I can see why. Plus no lunges??
Old 01-20-20, 05:55 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
Is anyone following the workout plan? I liked the book but my mind can't get by the working out less part. Which if you are going HEAVY I can see why. Plus no lunges??
Mike Matthews suggests 3 HIIT sessions and 2-3 LISS cardio sessions a week. And 3-5 day split on weights. You can do totally do lunges. On the the 5 day split he has Bulgarian split squats or lunges

Laura
Old 01-20-20, 08:55 PM  
rhbrand

If you follow the Year One Challenge, which is a companion book to TLS, the workouts change every 6 weeks.

I'm not sure if lunges are in later phases, but I don't miss them AT ALL in phase 1. My legs and glutes get plenty of work with the heavy squats, deadlifts and hip thrusts.
Old 01-20-20, 09:37 PM  
laurawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin817 View Post
Mike Matthews suggests 3 HIIT sessions and 2-3 LISS cardio sessions a week. And 3-5 day split on weights. You can do totally do lunges. On the the 5 day split he has Bulgarian split squats or lunges

Laura
The cardio for how long (for how many weeks/months, and does it vary by purpose/goal)? I'm interested in methods of cardio periodization. Thanks.
laurawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-20, 10:56 PM  
desderata

So I got the ebook and, like many of this sort, there’s a lot of editorializing before you get to the key components of the plan. The good news is, his writing style is clear and fairly concise and he’s done his homework. He refers to his plan as flexible dieting in the sense that no food groups are demonized and I think it’s a sustainable and healthy view. It’s focused on lean proteins, veggies, fruits and lower processed carbs and he gives vegetarian options.

On the other hand, the plan requires you to determine your basic metabolic rate and total daily calorie expenditure, figure out your macros and then weigh and measure all your food and count calories. This is always a deal breaker for me. I end up obsessed and enslaved and obsessed by my eating plan.

His workout plan seems really well designed and efficient. All in all, I like his style - I’m just not willing to go back to the food scale and measuring cups.

Finally, I went to his website and downloaded the bonus material, which is quite generous. He gives lots of sample menu plans, exercise demos, etc. my only real criticism is my inbox is now flooded with ads for legion athletics supps. Seems non stop, and that sort of thing bugs me.

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone tweaked the nutrition plan to be a little less obsessive and still got good results.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-20, 01:38 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurawd View Post
The cardio for how long (for how many weeks/months, and does it vary by purpose/goal)? I'm interested in methods of cardio periodization. Thanks.
It's recommended that the HIIT sessions be about 30 minutes long and the LISS cardio is 45-60 minutes. He's big on walking for LISS since it's less catabolic and stressful on the body.

There really isn't a periodization of the cardio in the program.

Laura

Tags
fitness books, michael matthews, thinner leaner stronger