Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-18, 03:08 PM  
FirmDeb

Thanks! Great things to think about and ask when I go on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Congratulations - hope you enjoy your new gym.

When you go to sign up, they should take you for a tour and you can ask if they can give you any tips on the busy times, gym culture, etc. Will there be an employee on the work-out floor if you have questions about how to use any of the equipment? Are there classes available? Some gyms have impressive class options and they may be included in your membership. If so, is there any sort of advance sign up needed? You may want to check with your neighbor before you go over to ask if they push new members to sign up for personal training, as this can be a good money maker for the gym. If you decide to spring for personal training, make sure you check out the qualifications of the trainers and get references, if possible. Interviewing the trainer before committing is a good idea to make sure your personalities and objectives mesh. Gyms have widely varying requirements for their trainers and turnover tends to be high. What are the rules about lockers? You definitely want a sturdy lock, as locker room theft is common and try to avoid having anything of value in your locker. Many gyms will cut locks off at night unless they have a bank of lockers available for long-term rental. My last gym had bottles of spray cleaner and paper towels that gym goers were supposed to use to wipe machines down after use (hooray!). There may be rules about beverages/water bottles on the actual work-out floor due to spill risk. They may have some sort of towel service, but that is typically an extra charge. Some really busy gyms may put a time limit on utilization of cardio machines during peak hours (fortunately I haven't seen this in many years). If they have racquetball courts, those typically require a sign up, particularly during peak hours.

When I went to the gym, I typically wore capris or long tights since it is possible to pick up infections in the gym setting. Gym bags are great - you definitely want one with lots of pockets/compartments - such as an end compartment for shoes. A comfortable shoulder strap is a must. Will you be using a pool or taking a shower? If so, having a separate compartment for wet clothing is handy. Zip lock freezer bags in the larger sizes can be great for containing wet items. Also, if you'll be showering at the gym, get a pair of rubber flip flops that you can wear in the locker room/shower area.

If you're going to be doing more weight-lifting, do you need a pair of weight gloves? If you like to listen to music while using the cardio machines, do you have an MP3 player or music on your phone? And ear bugs or headphones that can stand up to sweat?
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 06:02 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
And ear bugs or headphones that can stand up to sweat?
LOL - I was checking to see what other suggestions you'd received and noticed my typo. You definitely do not need ear BUGS, but ear BUDS might come in handy!!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-18, 07:41 PM  
lithium

Like someone mentioned, most gyms run 1-week free pass. Could you try it out first before commit? Also check online reviews (Yelp, Facebook, etc.) about that particular gym to see what other people have to say about it. It would have saved me the trouble of going through the "free consultation" from a personal trainer had I read the reviews before hand. I mainly go for the various classes nowadays. After working out alone at home for so many years, it feels good to be in other people's company. A group of us regular "gym gals" actually went out for lunch a few times which were a lot of fun. Good luck and enjoy the new experience.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 07:10 AM  
FirmDeb

Thanks! The gym does offer a one-week pass so I'll get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Like someone mentioned, most gyms run 1-week free pass. Could you try it out first before commit? Also check online reviews (Yelp, Facebook, etc.) about that particular gym to see what other people have to say about it. It would have saved me the trouble of going through the "free consultation" from a personal trainer had I read the reviews before hand. I mainly go for the various classes nowadays. After working out alone at home for so many years, it feels good to be in other people's company. A group of us regular "gym gals" actually went out for lunch a few times which were a lot of fun. Good luck and enjoy the new experience.
FirmDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 08:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Personal training contracts

Some gyms offer personal training, and give you a free session first, to hook you in. Be wary. Those contracts can be extremely pricey. It happened to me. When I got home and read the fine print, I learned that they were not gym staff but a different company that rented space at the gym. I managed to get out of it in time - something like 48 hours to quit without a penalty.

Most gyms have staff that can show you around and get you acquainted with the equipment, and that's part of your monthly fee.

Some gyms have trainers available for a set one time fee - example, 3 training sessions for $150, no contracts. I've used this model in the past and got the most out of it with no gimmicks or BS.

In a nutshell I recommend avoiding any additional personal training fees or services until you've been going for a while and have the lay of the land.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy your workouts!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 10:28 AM  
Exercise Diva

[QUOTE=wishiwasinhawaii;2775488]I haven't belonged to a gym in at least 10 years and things could be different now, but make sure you read the fine print on any contracts they want you to sign. I once had a hard time cancelling a gym membership and they kept charging my credit card even after I had cancelled, so it's just something to be aware of.

I second this advice. My gym made it incredibly difficult to cancel - one of the reasons I'm wary of joining one now.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 10:44 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

FirmDeb,

Go for it and enjoy this new adventure! You won't know until you try and everyone on this thread has given GREAT advice to follow! You'll get more comfortable as you start going.

I actually hate gyms, but when one opened really close to where we live, my husband wanted to sign up and so he signed me up too for his moral support. I was quite self-conscious before going, wondering what to wear, wondering if I'd be comfortable, would I like it...well, turns out I love it!

I've gotten to try all kinds of classes and meet like-minded people (which is no easy feat since I too work from home). I've also found a class that has absolutely kicked my fitness up a notch to where I'm finally excited and motivated to work hard again after tons of injuries sidelined that motivation! And as far as what to wear, I go for comfort first because I'm not there to look pretty, so cheapo capri tights/workout pants and large T-shirts are my go-to and nobody really cares!

Now I look forward to my gym days each week just as much as I look forward to my home workouts. And nobody is more surprised by that than me!

Good luck with your new chapter and keep us posted on how it's going!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym etiquette, gym membership, ywca