Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-17, 05:50 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I am looking at two condos. one has a finished basement with carpeting and heat/cooling. It looks like a good workout space. the other condo has an unfinished basement. What flooring would be best ?I have a lot of puzzle mats I currently use in a bedroom that has wood floors. Would the puzzle mats be sufficient over concrete> or would I have to put down wood floors or carpet?
thanks

donna
I workout in my basement. It has a cement floor with a light carpet over it. My puzzle mats did NOT help with the hardness of the floor, so I bought a big, heavy cow/barn/stall mat. Yes for animals.
http://www.runnings.com/stall-mats/r...-stall-mat.htm

It works GREAT!! Heavy as heck but it stays put and has not even come close to wearing out.
Just sayin'!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-17, 11:06 PM  
Loriann

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I workout in my basement. It has a cement floor with a light carpet over it. My puzzle mats did NOT help with the hardness of the floor, so I bought a big, heavy cow/barn/stall mat. Yes for animals.
http://www.runnings.com/stall-mats/r...-stall-mat.htm

It works GREAT!! Heavy as heck but it stays put and has not even come close to wearing out.
Just sayin'!
Oh my goodness! Comfort, traction and odor management! I may be making a trip to Runnings. I would have never thought to look there. Thanks for the idea.
Lori
Old 12-29-17, 03:43 AM  
kirstyscooby
VF Supporter

Thanks for the tips everyone 😃

Snuckles, I’m going to try the set up that you have and just lay the mats on top of one another. It makes sense to try it this way first before mucking about with glue/adhesive. Plus when I work out, my heavy kettlebells etc are on the edges which I think helps to keep them from sliding!

Now I just have to be patient and wait for my Cathe pre-order to arrive!!!
Old 12-29-17, 05:34 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
Oh my goodness! Comfort, traction and odor management! I may be making a trip to Runnings. I would have never thought to look there. Thanks for the idea.
Lori
Lori, they work so great. Be prepared they are very heavy, but you could pretend it's part of your workout moving it. ;-)

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 01:14 PM  
Darisa

I workout in a finished basement. I bought thick rubber stall mats (think horse barn) for my gym equipment since I have Olympic barbells, squat rack, etc. They are 3/4 thick and 4 ft x 6 ft. They run anywhere from $39.99 to 42.99 per mat. I bought mine at a tractor supply store. They smell for the first 3 months and then it fades. If you want to see a pic send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 01:19 PM  
Darisa

Sorry. Just saw this is an old thread.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 02:16 PM  
cooldham

It makes me happy to learn I am not the only one working out in a basement with concrete floors with puzzle mats held down by weights!

I always worry that the air down there is not as good as in the rest of the house but I've taken my fancy air filter down there and it seems fine (it's a walk out so fresh air does get in). But we've also had water problems and I've just used a de-humidifier to dry things out. Then my next concern would be the concrete is too hard on joints but I would hate to switch to the gym, I would rather buy a fancier mat!

Tags
flooring, puzzle mats