Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-16, 01:34 PM  
mtngoat

I no longer buy DVDs, so that addiction has been broken! Strangely enough I find that I am able to limit the number of download purchases/streaming subscriptions more easily than my DVD buying.

My biggest vice over the past few years has been buying Tonique workouts. I never do them. I mean not even once. Her endless reps are a sure-fire recipe for overuse injuries for me.

I have not purchased her new ones, and am not going to. No really!

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 03:05 PM  
suzannaerin

Count me in, especially on the workout clothes. Luckily, I live in a small house and have limited drawer and closet space. Now, before I buy, I think first, where the hell will I put it? Then, if I cannot resist, something MUST be put in the Salvation Army bag (they love me). I did break my work clothes buying issue by resolving to wear only black tees and pants with a sweater or blazer. Unfortunately, a friend turned me on to scarves, expensive ones. They are special indulgences, and she's an expert on the best consignment places, where I can get them at great prices. Still, I must exercise a lot of self control.... at least it makes it easy for my husband to get me birthday and Christmas presents, just go to Hermes! Haha
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 05:18 PM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Oh my... a fellow legging fanatic!

What I tend to do is find a brand that I really love... it fits me well, it is the right fabric and the designs are cute. Then I find all the leggings in that brand I can and buy them. Urrghh... somebody stop me.

My fave right now are the leggings by "90 Degrees by Reflex". They are so soft and stretchy and the designs are CUTE!

Just found these at TJMaxx. ($16.99)

I love those! Heading to TJMaxx in the am!

I am ashamed to say that I receive much more from VF than I give, but am so grateful for this place. Such amazing people here, who are so giving in time, care and knowledge. Great advice around the DVD issue, and a lot of other things as well. My problem is half the stuff I buy I end up not really liking and it either sits and goes to waste or I donate and feel bad about my poor purchase decision....

Wishing you success to meet your goal! Anne Y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 08:16 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZY View Post
I love those! Heading to TJMaxx in the am!
Ahem... not that I'm trying to enable you or anything, but if you don't find them in the TJM store, I'm pretty sure they're online. Also, go to SierraTradingPost.com and search "90 Degree by Reflex leggings" and you'll see a great selection there. I just ordered 3 pairs of their capris in different mesh patterns. Not only are they cute, they are SO comfy! Love, love working out in them!!

(There is a 90 degree by Reflex website, but it's full price. TJMaxx, Marshall's and Sierra Trading Post all have them for $16.99 to $19.99. Can't beat that! )
Old 12-22-16, 09:08 PM  
rhbrand

They look like they would be squat proof. Do they come up high enough not to moon everyone when you squat?
Old 12-22-16, 09:43 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Interesting thread!

I've been around here for a long time, and it's clear to me that a lot, if not most of us are collectors. Most of us do work out, too, but there is a psychological element that has nothing to do with actually working out. The psychological element is complex. One part of it is that we have goals and ideas about the kind of fitness that we seek to achieve. We believe that Video X is the video that will get us there, but then Video Y comes out, and we think that there may be something else about Video Y that can get us there, that Video X doesn't have. Another part of the psychological element is wanting to have a collection; it's a collector's mentality. When workouts were all on tangible media, it was (and still is ) a happy moment to look upon the shelves of videos or DVDs. Just having the collection brings a sense of satisfaction. It's an even greater sense of satisfaction to actually be using the collection, and seeing changes and improvements over time.

The collector's mentality can apply to other things besides exercise videos. I think there is an element of visualization that happens, where a person imagines the benefits that she will derive from having the thing, and at the time of purchasing, fully believes that she will use and benefit from it. Then when the thing arrives, and joins the rest of the things already purchased, the allure and uniqueness of the newest thing diminishes.

And that concludes my psychological assessment .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 06:28 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
They look like they would be squat proof. Do they come up high enough not to moon everyone when you squat?
You mean the 90 Degree leggings? Yes, they are high waisted. That is one of the reasons I like them so much. In my workouts I am hanging by TRX straps, squatting, jumping, etc.... all things that drive me crazy if my pants are sliding down. High waisted keeps them where they are supposed to be, and as you said, eliminates the moon factor!
Old 12-23-16, 11:54 AM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Ahem... not that I'm trying to enable you or anything, but if you don't find them in the TJM store, I'm pretty sure they're online. Also, go to SierraTradingPost.com and search "90 Degree by Reflex leggings" and you'll see a great selection there. I just ordered 3 pairs of their capris in different mesh patterns. Not only are they cute, they are SO comfy! Love, love working out in them!!

(There is a 90 degree by Reflex website, but it's full price. TJMaxx, Marshall's and Sierra Trading Post all have them for $16.99 to $19.99. Can't beat that! )
Thank you Jeanne, as a fiscally responsible enabler, you should be proud!
Anne Y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-16, 01:38 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZY View Post
Thank you Jeanne, as a fiscally responsible enabler, you should be proud!
Anne Y
Why thank you, Anne! I am so very proud!
Old 12-28-16, 02:16 AM  
iwant2bfit

Don't leave! Just do what I do, read.
I too have bought workouts that have been enthusiastically talked about on VF that I have never done. But at the same time, it introduced me to kettlbells and Lauren Brooks so for that I'm grateful. (I'm also frugal and do not collect anything as I do not like clutter).

I was a classic firm user since I was 17 but now that I'm in my late 40's, I can no longer do a lot of impact. I'm grinding cartilage in both knees so I can not always do high step work either. I've also had 3 lower back surgeries. Bottom line, I have a bunch if cathe workouts that I will most likely give away.

I have gotten better at refraining from purchasing workouts that I know will not work for me but it by no means that I am not tempted. I certainly read the posts just to know what is coming down the pike.
iwant2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no buy, vidiot