Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-16, 06:03 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
<snip>[T]ruth be told, I tend to repeat the same workouts because I like them and they work. I enjoy having my collection, but do not feel the need or desire to add more.
Ditto.

I did a purge when we moved, and have purged more since then. We joined a gym in October and go 5 days a week. I love the gym and don't have any desire to acquire any strength or cardio workouts. I have 10 videos left--my favorite yoga and stretching videos. I use those maybe once a week. The only video I have bought in months and months is David Swenson's new Ashtanga 1:08 practice.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 06:36 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Ditto.

I have 10 videos left--my favorite yoga and stretching videos. I use those maybe once a week. The only video I have bought in months and months is David Swenson's new Ashtanga 1:08 practice.
Darn! You have me beat. A real minimalist ...

And what's that about the gym 5 days a week?

Makes me feel much less ashamed of throwing over the gym so many years ago ('08) ... and never really frequently going to studio in those few years since.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 10:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I think a lot of instructors I have really liked either release a lot fewer dvds (Margaret Richard, and her upcoming dvds are not new material so I'm not buying them) or I have moved on from using them (Leslie Sansone because her workouts hurt my lower back/hip flexor with the repetitive movements). That makes it somewhat easier to buy less. Some instructors I like are one offs, or don't seem to release dvds anymore (Kimberly Spreen).

Sherry
This is kind of me too...among my go tos are the Firm and Margaret Richard, with a little WHFN and others thrown in. I don't really use anyone that releases a lot of workouts anymore, and a few I use occasionally don't release anymore at all (Charlene Prickett, Minna Lessig).

However, I am back to revisiting a few people that I used to use (KCM and Tracie Long) and have invested in some DVDs by each of them. But really they would be the only ones that release DVDs here and there. I may revisit Cathe again later this year but will just use the ones I have, I am not really interested in getting anything more from her.

I will say that I buy a lot less than I used to, and try to trade more these days. But I am buying smarter for the most part, except when I splurged on a bunch of WHFN last year after hearing they were going to be discontinued, only to like half of the ones I bought. Oh well, I guess that's better than not liking any of them. But I make that mistake sometimes, I find an instructor or brand and buy a bunch rather than a few which is all I need.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 11:07 AM  
sherry7899

If Yoga Zone was still around and releasing dvds, I'd still be buying them
They were the first yoga dvds I clicked with (along with Sara Ivanhoe, who also hardly releases anything anymore).

I am participating in the winter solistice yoga sadhana, and I am trying to pull out dvds I have not used much. Between those and you tube, I really have no need to buy more yoga dvds......but I know I will keep buying them. I am trying to be more picky, though. I wish I'd waited for reviews on the new Rodney Yee. I regret that purchase.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 11:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I still buy workouts when they look interesting. I've been working out for so long (almost 36 years) that I like to try new styles and instructors. I never know if one will turn out to be a gem for me. I'll mention that the gem-to-dud ratio has been poor in recent years.

I also buy videos for DH. (I might have to stop because the last few have been duds for him.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 01:24 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
If Yoga Zone was still around and releasing dvds, I'd still be buying them
They were the first yoga dvds I clicked with (along with Sara Ivanhoe, who also hardly releases anything anymore).

I am participating in the winter solistice yoga sadhana, and I am trying to pull out dvds I have not used much. Between those and you tube, I really have no need to buy more yoga dvds......but I know I will keep buying them. I am trying to be more picky, though. I wish I'd waited for reviews on the new Rodney Yee. I regret that purchase.

Sherry
I can't believe I forgot about Yoga Zone! Sara Ivanhoe too is another yoga go to, I don't use much else besides them although I do like some of Suzanne Deason's practices on my 5 Day Fit Yoga DVD. You are right though, YZ doesn't release DVDs any more and we don't see much from Sara either.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 03:45 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
I can't believe I forgot about Yoga Zone! Sara Ivanhoe too is another yoga go to, ... YZ doesn't release DVDs any more and we don't see much from Sara either.
Wow. I saw a video recently (probably it was a movie) in which Sara Ivanhoe claimed she took up yoga because she's an insomniac ... as I (partially) am!

I never got into her yoga because I'd gotten involved with really a lot slower, more intense flow at the time ... (and, the wrong studio) ... but I don't regret that - temporary, in the grand scheme of things - involvement and to this day I thank Shiva that no "teacher training" had ever been involved in the sacrifice of my $$ and equanimity - yes, instead of its being built up - it had been torn down ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-16, 06:06 PM  
Malinda

I think I'm there. I only bought 4 DVDs in 2015. I get tempted by new stuff, but can quickly talk myself down. Max 30 called to me, but then I remembered that I hated T25 and gave the set away and that I rarely reach for an Insanity workout. Cize looks like fun, but then I think of the two Hip Hop Hustle Fan volumes I have that contain 4 workouts, of which I've only done 1 a couple of times, not to mention that Rockin' Body set that gets little use. I saw the infomercial for Piyo and almost bit, but then I reminded myself that I had acquired and traded away Piyo Fan volumes on two different occasions. Cathe? I have Crossfire, STS HIIT, Pyramids, and Xtrain, and I think that's a pretty good sampling of her offerings, and all I need.

I have learned so much from this forum. It has been a process, but I think I have found what works for me and what I like. I still love reading posts about all kinds of workouts, though, even ones I am not interested in. You never know when things will change and you'll need something different.

I am totally satisfied with my current random rotations of Turbo Jam/Kick/Fire, CLX, Combat, Pump, Ultimate Yogi, and Breathless Body, with the occasional Jillian, KCM, Zuska and Cathe thrown in.

Now if I could just get rid of that STS set that I bought many years ago in an Ambien-induced stupor...

Tags
large collection, no buy