Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-15, 09:38 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkin11 View Post
Is it wrong that while reading the article I got distracted when they mentioned AKT workouts, so I had to go research that, which led to the discovery of an AKT video- that now I'm wondering if I need?
I don't think this is the kind of place where you can ask that question and expect anyone to say "yes, that is definitely wrong". I read the article and kept trying to figure out where the barre class in one of the photos was...

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 09:43 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerkin11 View Post
Is it wrong that while reading the article I got distracted when they mentioned AKT workouts, so I had to go research that, which led to the discovery of an AKT video- that now I'm wondering if I need?
No.

And there was mention of a boutique workout out of Vegas or some such, that dancers get fit for the stage that I drllled down to because of this article. Called LaBlast. Idly thinking about this one.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 03:00 PM  
Melissa C

A Beachbody coach friend shared this article on her Facebook page yesterday and so I read it. I must confess: I bought the "Primates of Park Avenue" book for my Kindle just for the sheer pleasure of reading the Physique 57 vs. Soul Cycle chapter, and oh my, they really ARE two tribes!

That said, my friend and I talked about Anna Kaiser's DVD and the Physique 57 DVD's and streaming services (I think Anna has them too?), and the myriad of workouts available at most realistic budgets. We both know people in real life who have gotten into the shape they want without having to pay thousands of dollars a month for exercise classes.

And I also know many of you here at VF who've done that too. For 20 years, this has been the real tribe for me. You all have never steered me wrong!
3:27:39 on November 4, 2017
3:13:13 on November 3, 2018
Indy 500 Festival Half Marathon:3:26:27 May 4, 2019
"What? Like it's HARD?"
"Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. they just don't."-from"Legally Blonde"

Blog: melissacooper46.wordpress.com
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 03:24 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa C View Post
A Beachbody coach friend shared this article on her Facebook page yesterday and so I read it. I must confess: I bought the "Primates of Park Avenue" book for my Kindle just for the sheer pleasure of reading the Physique 57 vs. Soul Cycle chapter, and oh my, they really ARE two tribes!
I'm dying to read this, too! I put in a request with my library system--333 holds on 37 copies!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 03:48 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:

That said, my friend and I talked about Anna Kaiser's DVD and the Physique 57 DVD's and streaming services (I think Anna has them too?), and the myriad of workouts available at most realistic budgets. We both know people in real life who have gotten into the shape they want without having to pay thousands of dollars a month for exercise classes. ...
Does one of them lose?

Oh, some trickle-down here (though not just in the orthodox, economic sense):

Because, the mere upper middle class neighborhood I'd been priced out of, lost its SoulCycle knockoff studio ...

You know, older people and people who need personal attention (the real kind, not the "small group training" kind) are not in short supply in that hot market full of those priced out of Manhattan ... and feeling underappreciated in neighboring areas in the borough ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-15-15, 04:12 PM  
Melissa C

I wouldn't say either tribe "loses"--according to Dr. Martin (the author of the book), they just attract different personalities. The Physique 57 folks like barre and dance-based toning in a quieter atmosphere (according to her, everyone is so intensely focused on their workout they don't look at one another), and the Soul Cyclers have more of a "club-going" thing going. It gets interesting in the Hamptons, where the P57 and Soul Cycle are offered in the same building and they all have to negotiate the same parking lot to get into class.
3:27:39 on November 4, 2017
3:13:13 on November 3, 2018
Indy 500 Festival Half Marathon:3:26:27 May 4, 2019
"What? Like it's HARD?"
"Exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands. they just don't."-from"Legally Blonde"

Blog: melissacooper46.wordpress.com
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 04:27 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
I wouldn't say either tribe "loses"--according to Dr. Martin (the author of the book), they just attract different personalities. The Physique 57 folks like barre and dance-based toning in a quieter atmosphere (according to her, everyone is so intensely focused on their workout they don't look at one another), and the Soul Cyclers have more of a "club-going" thing going. It gets interesting in the Hamptons, where the P57 and Soul Cycle are offered in the same building and they all have to negotiate the same parking lot to get into class.
That ought to be riotous.

Kind of reminds me of what's left, after the cycling studio was gone: the yoga (mostly the "power" kind, I must specify) vs. pilates/barre/chair-sculpt vs. boxing/MMA tribes ... a tense co-existence ...

[No, the rent there is skyrocketing, and the people are a bit too "refined" and snobby to have an actual Cross-Fit box]

Obviously, I am stereotypically placed in the pilates/barre/chair-sculpt tribe by the yoga people, it takes just one look (actually, it's dance for me ). I don't drive anywhere these days.

Would love to read that book.

-Bettina

Old 06-15-15, 05:14 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm dying to read this, too! I put in a request with my library system--333 holds on 37 copies!
Wow, I'm in line at my library - 51 holds on 5 copies! Similar ratio and time line. Funny there is such a backlog for this book that is rated at 2.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 05:15 PM  
carly

Quote:
...VF.... For 20 years, this has been the real tribe for me. You all have never steered me wrong!
SOOOO True!!!!!!!
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness classes, fitness classes cost, gym membership