Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-14, 11:30 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrazy View Post
I saw this at Walmart, can you tell me more, how is the instructor, what level would you say they are, and whatever else you can tell me, thank you!

Also do you have a link for Desert Island Workouts, thanks!
This is an excellent set! The instructor is a buff, nice guy. I don't usually gravitate towards non-yoga workouts with guys (except for Gilad), but he just seems so nice, down to earth, and a little out of his element, as though he is not quite used to the camera. I find it charming! He does most of the workout with his participants, but will sometimes stop to comment on form.

I would say the level is definitely intermediate to advanced. Some hard stuff in there like one legged burpees and plank work but some easier stuff like standard push ups and cross country skiers. They advance as you go up in the weeks. You don't do a set number of reps, but as many as you can do in say, 45 seconds. Then you repeat. The backgrounders are okay, the one cute girl with a ponytail can't box to save her life (bless her heart!), but they don't detract from the workout at all. This is a fantastic travel rotation. Lots of plyo. Oh, I did not do the extra dvds, I think there is a stretching, total body, and one other. I just stuck to the 8 week program.

I consider myself an intermediate and this was an 8 week program. I had to repeat the weeks, because they were kind of tough. This was my first time doing this type of training. I may be in better shape now to handle it though. So although I got through 8 weeks of the program I only got to disk 5. You do the program 3 days a week, and the other days you can insert other workouts (cardio, straight strength training, yoga, etc.).

Oh, and by desert island workouts, I mean if I was stranded on a desert island, I would want this set

I will see if I can find some threads on the Weider set:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=171046
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=170797
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=weider
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:35 AM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is an excellent set! The instructor is a buff, nice guy. I don't usually gravitate towards non-yoga workouts with guys (except for Gilad), but he just seems so nice, down to earth, and a little out of his element, as though he is not quite used to the camera. I find it charming! He does most of the workout with his participants, but will sometimes stop to comment on form.

I would say the level is definitely intermediate to advanced. Some hard stuff in there like one legged burpees and plank work but some easier stuff like standard push ups and cross country skiers. They advance as you go up in the weeks. You don't do a set number of reps, but as many as you can do in say, 45 seconds. Then you repeat. The backgrounders are okay, the one cute girl with a ponytail can't box to save her life (bless her heart!), but they don't detract from the workout at all. This is a fantastic travel rotation. Lots of plyo. Oh, I did not do the extra dvds, I think there is a stretching, total body, and one other. I just stuck to the 8 week program.

I consider myself an intermediate and this was an 8 week program. I had to repeat the weeks, because they were kind of tough. This was my first time doing this type of training. I may be in better shape now to handle it though. So although I got through 8 weeks of the program I only got to disk 5. You do the program 3 days a week, and the other days you can insert other workouts (cardio, straight strength training, yoga, etc.).

Oh, and by desert island workouts, I mean if I was stranded on a desert island, I would want this set

I will see if I can find some threads on the Weider set:
Thank you soooo much! Very helpful! Off to Walmart.
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 11:47 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
I'm really interested in this topic. I have a natural athletic build and seem to bulk or build muscle easily. My problem spot is my abs. I shy away from heavy weights and prefer light weight hi rep workouts.

I recently added HoCo back into my rotation and love what it's doing for my upper body. I too am looking for more body weight alternatives. I've tried Piyo (too expensive for the couple of workouts that I'd do). I have BodyFit 360 on the way to me, and have pre-order Dasha's 7 Day Lean. I also have Kettlebell Kickboxing which I adore but am not seeing the results that I want.

I'm really not into pilates or bar work. Are there any other suggestions?
Snuckles, I think DDP Yoga might work for you. Don't be misled by the word yoga, though. When he says "it ain't your mama's yoga," he means it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa3 View Post
I have been doing DDP Yoga since November. Occasionally, I will do a barre workout and I am stronger and feel better than I did when I worked out with weights.
I will do a weight workout every 2-3 weeks and it's usually an upper body - Cathe's Pyramid. I also walk everyday.

No pain, lean body, clear mind - no complaints!
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 12:25 PM  
slockhart

I read now that this says "body weight" workouts..lol... I did my first Tonique workout this Monday and I'm still limping around. I did Tonique Premier from You Tube, but I have ordered 3 DVDs. I can't wait to get into these workouts regularly!
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 03:01 PM  
Snuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
Snuckles, I think DDP Yoga might work for you. Don't be misled by the word yoga, though. When he says "it ain't your mama's yoga," he means it!
Thanks for the recommendation . . . off to research DDP Yoga
Old 07-09-14, 03:15 PM  
northernlight

Gilbjeter, for abs I would suggest Leah Sarago's 'Ab Tightener' download. It focuses on the transverse abdominis. (I love working the transverse because it pulls everything in!)

And there is Bret Contreras' bodyweight workout from his book 'Strong Curves'.

I wish Contreras would do a video workout or (even better) a set of progressive video workouts. Are you listening Bret???
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 03:28 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
Thanks for the recommendation . . . off to research DDP Yoga
You can see a sample of each workout here http://ddpyoga.com/combo-pack-dvds-4...ram-guide.html by clicking on Pack 1 Samples and Pack 2 Samples.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 04:00 PM  
juberann

The best results I have ever gotten was from Jari Love's workouts, especially the first 5 releases. Then I bought PUMP because Jari's workouts are a lot like BodyPump minus the great music. Low weightHigh rep is my body "magic". I don't get crazy hungry like I do after working out with heavier weights so that's a plus for me.
I also prefer all cardio or all weight workouts. Have discovered that,while I know HIIT and Interval Training is all the rage right now, I prefer to focus on one or the other. Not saying I don't do Interval workouts because I do, just don't prefer them
Old 07-09-14, 04:02 PM  
juberann

Oops, this was a question regarding body weight workouts. My bad.
Old 07-09-14, 04:45 PM  
mbcatac7

Z does a lot of Body weight workouts. She has an awesome DVD series. ZCut Power Cardio. http://www.amazon.com/ZCUT-Power-Car...&keywords=Scut

Edited to say: awesome for your Abs

Tags
body weight exercises, body weight workouts, weider xfactor, x-factor st