Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-14, 11:06 AM  
katmom

I bought this one based on some reviews I had seen on Yahoo.

http://www.goyogajack.com/first-step-select-one

For $79, you get the mat, a strap, and a bag. The bag is not very well made, but I rarely use it since I train at home. However, the mat is impressive in size and thickness. I know it says for men, but how does the mat know the gender of the user.
Old 03-11-14, 11:45 AM  
EnglishIvy

These blocks are some of my favorites. They have a little more give but still good support. Versatile, economical and they come in snazzy colors

Love the Manduka Pro-- kind of pricey but has been worth every penny since I use it daily (so tired of throwing cheap mats away and there is no comparison for comfort/performance).
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 03:48 PM  
Eibhinn

It probably mostly depends on personal preference, but unless people have strong preferences or specific physical needs, most any yoga mat and blocks will probably do, at least to start. There isn't a big difference for most people, really.

If your daughter has sensitive knees or has pointy bones that jut out a thicker mat might be better. Slightly larger blocks are slightly better for beginners, but there is very little variation in this.

My partner and I strongly prefer natural products and found foam and plastic mats really gross and distasteful. I've never regretted upgrading my foam blocks to Gaiam cork blocks, my nylon webbing strap for Gaiam hemp straps, and my cheapy plastic outgassing mats for a Prana Rubber mat. But these make very little difference in my practice beyond my own aesthetic preferences (I do find the cork blocks a touch more stable than the light foam ones).

Most yoga stuff is pretty much variations on the same thing and few people need the really expensive gear, like a Manduka mat, unless they're a teacher, have an extremely dedicated practice, or if the Manduka motivates them. Lots of dedicated VFer yogis are happily using no-name mats. Also worth noting that if you anticipate your daughter attending outside yoga classes, Manduka mats are super heavy and not too fun to carry around.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, yoga blocks, yoga bricks, yoga mats