Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-13, 10:23 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

best use of an hour EVER in the history of mankind

It's been a rough few days at the susan p household, folks. Today was, thankfully, a warm spring day, first one this year, and it got a little overwarm in the house. My husband is sick and went to bed early. I shooed my girls up to bed at 10, cleared the kitchen, started the dishwasher, put the dog "to bed" in her crate.

So what does a stress-out mama do when the house is a little too warm and everyone is in bed and it's quiet and it's been a rough ride for a few days?? By the time the dishwasher was humming and everyone was settled and quiet, it was 10:15. A little late to start a workout, yeah; but the day had gotten away from me.

I turned down the dimmable lights and popped in Yoga Zone Introduction to Yoga. I LOVE THIS ONE. It is the huge exception to my "I just don't get along with yoga" experience. I never watch the clock with this one. I challenge myself, yet I breathe deep and long. The relaxation at the end is B-L-I-S-S-F-U-L.

I. so. needed. that. I think I am going to sleep well tonight. What a terrific, healthy soporific.

I begin to think I am going to survive the current family drama after all. I am rested and ready, baby. Tomorrow is another day.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 10:32 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nice!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 10:47 PM  
BamaTanya

I just did that one for the first time yesterday! Nice!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 10:53 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

It's an oldie but a goodie. I love the way he CONTINUALLY reminds you about keeping your breath long... I think that's why it goes by without me ever looking at the clock; between focusing on what my body is doing and what my breath is doing, I total lose track of time in a way that I only do when I otherwise only do when I'm studying or reading.

I've tried a lot of yoga workouts; the only two I have ever clicked with are YZ Intro to Yoga, and YZ Yoga for a Strong and Healthy Back. Love 'em both.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 01:17 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

alan is one of my all-time favorite yoga instructors, along with Rodney.

glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the reminder of what a great dvd it is.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 01:42 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

So sorry about the stress and illness, Susan. It's great that you had just the right thing to make you feel better and get a good night's sleep, sitting right on your shelf!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:24 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
It's been a rough few days at the susan p household, folks. Today was, thankfully, a warm spring day, first one this year, and it got a little overwarm in the house. My husband is sick and went to bed early. I shooed my girls up to bed at 10, cleared the kitchen, started the dishwasher, put the dog "to bed" in her crate.

So what does a stress-out mama do when the house is a little too warm and everyone is in bed and it's quiet and it's been a rough ride for a few days?? By the time the dishwasher was humming and everyone was settled and quiet, it was 10:15. A little late to start a workout, yeah; but the day had gotten away from me.

I turned down the dimmable lights and popped in Yoga Zone Introduction to Yoga. I LOVE THIS ONE. It is the huge exception to my "I just don't get along with yoga" experience. I never watch the clock with this one. I challenge myself, yet I breathe deep and long. The relaxation at the end is B-L-I-S-S-F-U-L.

I. so. needed. that. I think I am going to sleep well tonight. What a terrific, healthy soporific.

I begin to think I am going to survive the current family drama after all. I am rested and ready, baby. Tomorrow is another day.
Wow, what a coincidence, I had an extra blissful workout today too For me, I journal alot and oftem randomly flip thru my affirmation/meditation books to see what comes up and often, it's right on the money. I have been flipping to entires that encourage me to reward myself for hard work that I have been doing for years on my life in general and trying to make something positive out of whatever life has dished out and/or blessed me with. I also had a teabag surprise me with a little quote that said "Be Proud" of yourself. Other clues from the Universe also suggested this. So, instead of ignoring my inner messages, I listened and celebrated for myself today.

It has been a couple of days since I exercised, so I was totally refreshed and ready. I did all 5 miles of Leslie's U5DWP and then Ellen's Ballet Pilates (thanks, Barb ) with no worries about time or anything else and just savored it. It was the first time I had done Ballet Pilates and it was just what I needed after the energizing 5 miles. Ellen cued a lot about breath and it was a mellow workout- I loved the set and just felt very calmed by it.

I am so glad you enoyed your nurturing me time This time is most gratifying when it is done in a sacred pause amongst the chaos and you feel calmed and empowered. I hope everyone in your family feels better soon and you get a break from the stress. So glad yoga zone is there for you anytime u need it!

I enjoyed hearing about your day, good to know I wasn't self nurturing alone
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 08:00 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm glad you found a yoga practice that clicks for you - and that you got some much needed tranquility.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alan finger, yoga, yoga zone