Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-13, 11:10 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I was wondering how to figure this out also.
summer breeze I was curious so I Googled it. One of the tests is the Vertical Jump Test:

* Mark a place on a wall as high as you can touch on your tiptoes, using wet or chalked fingers.
* Again using wet or chalked fingers, jump as high as you can and touch the wall.
* Do this three times.
* Measure your best distance.

If you are fit and can jump 20 inches or more above the highest spot you could touch standing still, you have a higher ratio of fast-twitch fibers.

If you are fit and can jump eight to twelve inches, you do not have a high ratio of fast-twitch fibers. Of course, there is no way to say precisely the ratio without a muscle biopsy.

Without even trying it I can tell you I'm definitely more slow twitch. I've never, ever been a high jumper, sprinter or gymnast. I can go forever in a low impact class but something like Insanity, forget it. I can barely jump off the floor. Helen was spot on.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 11:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
summer breeze I was curious so I Googled it. One of the tests is the Vertical Jump Test:

* Mark a place on a wall as high as you can touch on your tiptoes, using wet or chalked fingers.
* Again using wet or chalked fingers, jump as high as you can and touch the wall.
* Do this three times.
* Measure your best distance.

If you are fit and can jump 20 inches or more above the highest spot you could touch standing still, you have a higher ratio of fast-twitch fibers.

If you are fit and can jump eight to twelve inches, you do not have a high ratio of fast-twitch fibers. Of course, there is no way to say precisely the ratio without a muscle biopsy.

Without even trying it I can tell you I'm definitely more slow twitch. I've never, ever been a high jumper, sprinter or gymnast. I can go forever in a low impact class but something like Insanity, forget it. I can barely jump off the floor. Helen was spot on.
Thanks, f1mom. Very interesting. I'll have to check that out. Just doing it very quickly without being exact, it seemed like maybe 12 inches. I'm going to do more research also.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 11:56 AM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Tracy dominate muscle fibers are fast twitch muscle fibers which is geared towards sprinting, and the reason why she bulks with running. This is why TA's workouts are muscular structured based geared towards keeping the rep range high.
I was thinking about this statement. TA also bulked with Pilates and everything else out there.

So does that mean TA won't work for us slow twitch folks? Even when I only did TA I had to use Squeeze to help my triceps and my rear view.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 12:34 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
I was thinking about this statement. TA also bulked with Pilates and everything else out there.

So does that mean TA won't work for us slow twitch folks? Even when I only did TA I had to use Squeeze to help my triceps and my rear view.
It means that some people can build muscle more easily while others can't. Some VFers have mentioned that they bulk with Tonique, P57, etc. even though these are not heavy lifting workouts. So they would experience more bulk if they did lift heavier.

Other people like me are slow twitch so we don't build muscle easily. I don't bulk with Tonique or even Cathe, P90X, etc. But because of this, I do like to lift heavier for my upper body and do more squats/lunges (like Tonique) than TA recommends. I like TA for my abs.

Besides looking at our natural build, all of us have different tastes on what we want our bodies to look like so we also will choose workouts that help meet our goals.
Old 03-23-13, 01:22 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:

Thank goodness for the internet.

Here's a link to an article on Bodybuilding.com. It's an informative read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru25.htm
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 01:37 PM  
Rynsha77

Quote:
Here's a link to an article on Bodybuilding.com. It's an informative read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru25.htm
This is a great article, I'm going to try testing my body parts and see if it helps!

Thank you
Old 03-23-13, 01:40 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynsha77 View Post
This is a great article, I'm going to try testing my body parts and see if it helps!

Thank you
You're welcome!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 03:54 PM  
F1mom