Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-10, 02:13 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
My advice is to stop trying to find workouts that are fun and entertaining and different and exciting. ALL working out should feel that way because of the end result... not focusing on the immediate feeling of having fun.

Just another way to look at things!
Hmmm...I guess that's one way to look at it. But if that's the case, would you do a workout that is boring, only because it works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS View Post
Even if the workout is a killer, I want the "it makes me feel good" feeling. And I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to do something, I want to feel like I WANT to do it. There is enough other stuff I have to do in my life.
This sounds more like it I can agree completely with this. Is this what you were trying to say Jeanne Marie? Or is it more "work out for the end result and the enjoyment will come from that?" I guess I need more clarification. Because I know that if I'm not enjoying something, I'm not going to do it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 02:27 PM  
ellaenchanted

Sometimes, I get bored with a routine so change it up. I don't really think that it is about being entertained but more about enjoyment. Why should I waste my time being bored or burnt out if I can find exercise I enjoy? Yes, it is about doing something for your health and feeling good. But, if I am burnt out then I am not feeling well physically or mentally.

Sometimes just changing the atmosphere works for me. I love working out at home but sometimes I crave a class atmosphere. In those cases I find things like local Zumba classes. It is nice to have a change of pace.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 03:38 PM  
spearrmint

I love heavy weights but with a recent back problem I've gone to the lighter weight workouts. I found I seem to always look forward to Jillian workouts. I mean it's motivating to see the bodies these women have & to my surprise, Jillian is very personable and likeable. I love "30 Day Shred", it's circuit style, the cardio is very simple: jacks, jogging, jumprope and the weight routines are simple, I use 5 lb weights & with the number of reps I get a good workout. For all cardio I love "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism", 8 or so cycles of cardio, very simple moves but I get my heartrate up there and its FUN. Then for sculpting "No More Trouble Zones". I tried "Shred it With Weights" but the kettlebell is part of my back problem so I'm staying away from that one. I also go for Patrick Goudeau's "Dumb Training" and "Body Design" for FUN factor and sweat. When I'm bored with my workouts I just go to the fun stuff regardless if it's "hardcore' or not - Ellen Barrett for one. Just focus on the fun factor for awhile & get your enjoyment back. Good luck!
spearrmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 07:54 AM  
MelissaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaAnnie View Post
Cathe's 4 Day Split? They are shorter workouts-but effective-like clx and you'd have a rotation to work with. You could probably sub some or all of the cardio if you wanted.
I'm going through workout burnout over here too. I just finished my 4th rotation of CLX & am not sure what to do next. I give myself a max of 45 minutes to workout (less is better). I've considered getting Insanity, but I think those are longer w/o's too. Someone on Fb mentioned skipping the 20 min warmup, but I think that might be necessary considering the workouts.

How long are the 4 Day Split workouts? Does anyone have a rotation to follow for them? That might be something I could do until another CLX-ish workout comes out again (I keep hoping & praying).

I wanted to take a week off, but wouldn't you know it's Thanksgiving week -- NOT a good week to not exercise. For not I'm planning to do a few months of NRoL4W. I tried it last October & only did 4 out of the 7 stages. One day, I got ready to do the first day of stage 5 & just could NOT do it. Popped in CLX & started Burn 1 & felt like I was going home

I recently went to a health club/place with my sister as a guest. She refers to it as "The Palace" & I saw why -- it's beautiful. The workouts were tough & effective (she signed us up for an hour strength & one hour cardio classes). I don't ever work out for 2 hours at home. Even so, by the time it took me to drive there & home, I would have been with my usual shorter workouts. I'm just not one to go to a gym.

I'm glad I'm not the only going through this. So glad we have VF for support!
Mel
MelissaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 06:55 PM  
Anny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS View Post
I'm exercising even though I'm not enjoying it right now - I just want to enjoy it. I want to have fun with it. Even if the workout is a killer, I want the "it makes me feel good" feeling. And I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to do something, I want to feel like I WANT to do it. There is enough other stuff I have to do in my life.

Rachelle
This is so how I feel. I have Too Much Stuff going on in my life, Too Many have Tos and way too few Wanna Dos...so I need my workouts to not be just another Have To.

What I have been doing is Leslie ( no brainers and cardio makes me slimmer and happy) . Also dance workouts to make me smile.

I also choose workouts based on music - some Leslie's have songs I sing with (I m a dork!), definitely some old Taebo Advanced, Richard Simmons, Cindy Crawford, Cher's new Attitude. Etc.

And sometimes I choose to re-visit old faves - some FIRMs this week. Like visiting old friends.

Or I just decide to choose short fast effective workouts and get it done....typically Jillian Michaels here.

The other thing I do when I am in need of a workout re-vamp ( like you, I workout every day, regardless, but sometimes with more fervour than others...and sometimes I feel like life sucks so I don't want my workout to suck )...well, I mix and match. One mile with Leslie. One Ten Minute Solutions Hip Hop Dance. One Ten Minute Solutions Hot Body Bootcamp.Turbo Jam's 20 Minute abs....that kind of workout strung together.

Tags
boredom, harley pasternak, motivation