Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-10, 08:55 AM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
but I think you "achieve" the "long-lean" look just by how you carry yourself.
I was thinking the same thing as I read this. When I think of lean....well, that's lean. But when I think of long, I don't think of elongated muscles; I think of more posture and grace or agility.

I don't like barre workouts. I've tried. I just don't like them. I like them for other people...just not for me. I do like ballet, Pilates, yoga, and a fusion of all of those though. Bulking means something different for everyone. To me it just means getting bigger. I like traditional weights and functional fitness with free weights (I absolutely love Tracie Long's workouts). I get non-aesthetic benefits from them, but they make me bigger and with no definition. Ballet and Pilates seem to make me smaller, and power yoga or body weight work gives me definition. So I go in phases, but over the course of a year or so, I do a mixture of everything.

Probably the best physical results I've ever gotten (probably) came after I had been doing a lifetime of running and traditional weights, then I discovered fusion type workouts and did them for a year or more (I got smaller over the course of that year), then I went through a phase of running, kickboxing, and power yoga.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 08:48 PM  
blessed_mom_to_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
As people touched on, stretching really helps, but I think you "achieve" the "long-lean" look just by how you carry yourself. This can be done in traditional weight training, but there are many pilates instructors who say that if done correctly it truly does look like you've gained a few inches. It could just be how you've worked the verterbae, all the stretching and how you fixed your posture [I know when I do barre-inspired workouts that I tend to look leaner (I don't know how much taller I look, being 5'8).
I think you're right. It's more with how you carry yourself and good posture.

Also, I think the comments made about how typical dancers are chosen because they have a certain physique is interesting. It could explain a lot of what is probably "the dancer's body myth".

I've had very good results in the past from doing cardio and traditional weight training, actually getting pretty small a couple times, and there was no barre work in sight. Not that it wouldn't be beneficial...but I'm just saying. I also had a very good diet both times and that is probably a bigger factor (as much as it pains me to admit it!).

Thank you all for your input! I'm going to try barre (Exhale Core Fusion series is on its way to my house now, as well as two Ellens) AND weight workouts (probably not more than 5 lbs though) AND cleaning up the d*et. I'll report back.
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, bulk, bulking, fast twitch, slow twitch, weight training