Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-10, 04:10 PM  
kiasonghay

Well I didn't get started until March

but I'm down 1 size and almost 12 pounds! If only it could go this way every month and not just in the beginning.

Kia
kiasonghay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:15 PM  
chrisqan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiasonghay View Post
but I'm down 1 size and almost 12 pounds! If only it could go this way every month and not just in the beginning.

Kia
Wow Kia! That's amazing! Congrats and keep it up
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 07:07 PM  
buffmama

Someone on another post said she could put her palms on the floor doing a forward bend with straight legs. That is my new resolution! So inspired.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 07:11 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
This is what happens when you use your cat as an exercise coach!

Sorry - I couldn't resist. Here's hoping you get your mojo back.
Basil Mycroft is definitely a bad influence on me, and I'm an apt student!
I will snap out of it, though. Thanks for a laugh, RedPanda.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 08:58 PM  
Joanna
VF Supporter

Well, I think I have gained a little. I did a little bootcamp over March break and it did not give me as dramatic results as I had hoped. I think there is something to be said for slow and steady winning the race and I learned my lesson about spending hours and hours when it just isn't necessary.

Personal goals, my big one was to complete Part 2 of my FSL (French as a second language) certification. I am a French teacher and take professional development seriously since the job market here is very competitive. There are requirements for how the certification is done, for example, you have to teach for two years after getting Part 1 before you can get Part 2, so this is the first year I have been eligible to take it. I took it on-line and the school changed their web software to something much more annoying and less stream-lined than the old software. And the instructor was not great. So I did not enjoy the course at all. But I did finish it. Haven't got the marks yet but I do not anticipate any issues. Normally I take a course in the summer; I will be off the hook this year since I took it now instead. It will be nice not to have to worry about it during the summer.

Other big goal was to pay off half my student loan. I did it, but had to make some compromises. I think I was overly stressing about it and I have decided to moderate the payments a bit so I can have a bit more of a life. I am finally ready for a serious relationship and that is my second half of the year goal---to get out more, be around people and hopefully meet someone.
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 10:00 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

My resolutions were to exercise consistently and eat better. I have been doing this. There is still some room for improvement with my eating so I will try to be better with that. Overall, I am happy with my progress.........

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-10, 07:47 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'm doing well on all but the weight goal, but there are good reasons for that right now.

My workout schedule had gotten very haphazard so I set a # of workouts for the year goal and am maybe one or two above where I need to be so far. I still have 20 minute days and stretch only days, but fewer than in January and more 40 minute or longer workouts.

Some of those longer workouts are due to finally in March making it to a free introductory NIA class with a fellow VFer to work on my 'try out local NIA instructors' goal. So far I'ver been back for three more classes. We also plan to try out the new Bar Method studio in the area, though that will have to wait a while.

I went through my videos again to winnow out more I'm not using and sent two Kimberley Spreen off to a young friend who is newly into kickboxing. That's as far as my 'get rid of DVDs I'm not using' resolution has gotten. I still have dozens of them to go.

I did a trial of goat milk to see if I am allergic to it as well as cow's milk. The last time I tried I really didn't have everything under control and had no idea what I reacted to. So far so good, except it seems I might react to those nice moldy rinds on some of the good ones like the goat brie I brought home from the Farmers' Market this week. I made lasagne for the first time in over 9 years when I found goat mozzarella at Whole Foods.

But between the lasagne and yummy cheeses and the stress of a cat with major health issues and treatments who now is living on borrowed time, my weight has gone up a couple pounds instead of down. I do consider that a kind of victory since it could have been much worse if I hadn't accomplished some of the other goals so early in the year. Plus I managed to drop about 3 pounds over the holidays so I'm still down a net of 1 from my current start point and over 20 down from where I was when I found VF. I'm just up 10 from my low point due to family resposibilities a coupl years ago and I want them back off now.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 10:54 AM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm right there with ya girl! I don't think I've ever felt this bad about myself... truly. Where I thought I would be at this time in the year, I'm not even close.
Another one here! I thought I would be so much further along than I am. I swore at the beginning of the year that I was not going to be fat for my DD's college graduation. Well that is in 5 weeks and I'm still fat! Gotta keep trying though!
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-10, 11:39 AM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
I've actually had a great first quarter in some respects and an awful one in others. My resolutions started as holiday resolutions on December 1st. The theme was: Be satisfied with less. Less food, less spending, less excess of all kinds. But more workouts!

My goals:

1. To lose 50 lbs. On Thanksgiving Day, I weighed in at 223 lbs (I'm nearly 6 ft tall). This morning, I weighed in at 188! Still have a ways to go, but I've made very visible progress and haven't weighed this little since before my first daughter was born in 2002!

2. To revamp my eating habits. When I honestly looked at what I was eating and the quantity, I was SHOCKED. My "moderate" eating was really complete overindulgence. I didn't eat a cookie - I ate nine. Even when I was eating reasonably healthy food, I was eating waaaaay too much of it. I am now sticking to a 1500 calorie (or less) a day diet filled with healthy foods. I do allow some old favorite foods, but truly in moderation these days. I have pizza once a week and eat two slices instead of five. I have a small piece of chocolate, not a whole bar. I have to say, I haven't even minded the change.

3. To get my spending under control. I don't tend to make big purchases (like cars, etc.), but small things that add up. $100 at Target, $20 on used DVDs at Goodwill, etc. This area is where I have totally failed. I live a long ways from family and close friends in a place I don't really like, so shopping is definitely therapeutic for me. It makes me feel good to find a FIRM Wave for $3 (like I did yesterday!), so I have a terrible time passing up bargains. Consequently, I have too much stuff in my house which makes it hard to keep clean and ultimately makes me tense. I have set a new goal to get rid of my minor credit card debt by December, so I'm refocusing my efforts on that.

4. To work out consistently. I've also done very well with this. I've discovered new-to-me workouts (barre, cardio equipment at the gym, Ellen) and now there are not enough hours in the day for me to do all the things I want to do. I work out 5 days a week without fail and that is enough for me.

So, fitness good, finances bad.

Tags
new year, resolutions