Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-09, 08:58 AM  
Gardengirl

Thanks, Leslie. So, after having these for a while, would you say the workouts are beginner or intermediate (or can you make them what you want)?
Old 10-12-09, 09:52 AM  
Imlosingit!
VF Supporter

I'd say beginner+ but you could modify. They're pretty basic but I've always gotten good results with basic stuff if I'm consistent. You could add heavier weights, use resistance bands, and even do some moves on a stability ball. I find I could modify as needed either way.
Imlosingit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 09:56 AM  
Gardengirl

I like basic! You said that he advises to go heavier each week. Do they show a modifier that does that in the workouts? Just wondering if you just use a heavier weight and then modify yourself or if there's someone to follow along with.

It sounds like he's marketing these for any level exerciser, so I'm just wondering how it actually would play out for someone above a beginner level.
Old 10-12-09, 10:29 AM  
Imlosingit!
VF Supporter

No, doesn't show anyone using heavier weights. One of the exercisers uses a weighted bar and the other uses dumbbells. I like the looks of the weighted bar but I use dumbbells. There's a chart in the book that shows the progression week to week but again it doesn't state how much weight to use - I think that's left up to each individual based on level of fitness. I'm glad I got the book on Ebay (5 Factor Fitness) and I'm waiting on the book 5 Factor Diet from QVC. The book is very helpful in understanding the program. There's also a Level II in the book but I haven't read about it yet since I'm more of a beginner level. I would recommend getting it!

Last edited by Imlosingit!; 10-12-09 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add info
Imlosingit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 06:58 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlosingit! View Post
Day 1 works shoulders, quads, and upper abs. There's a 5 minute warm up consisting of walking/marching in place, progressing to jogging in place, jumping jacks, elbow to opposite knee up, then repeat the sequence. After the warm up, there's 3 circuits of 25 reps each shoulder presses, squats, and crunches. End with cardio same moves as the warm up just more intense and a skater's move - 2 circuits of the cardio at the end.

Day 2 is 5 minute warm up followed by 3 circuits of 25 reps each bent over row, stiff legged deadlift and side bends. End with cardio same moves as the warm up and add a mountain climber move (hands and feet on floor, butt in the air and pull knee to chest alternating knees).

Day 3 same 5 minute warm up followed by 3 circuits of 25 reps each bicep curl, lying dumbbell tricep extension, and lower body crunch. End with cardio and add on a cross over punch boxing move.

Day 4 same 5 minute warm up followed by 3 circuits of 25 reps each shoulder raises, lunges, seated core twist. End with usual cardio.

Day 5 cardio warm up and all 3 circuits with 25 reps each performed laying down on mat, or on a ball or bench. Chest, lat muscles and upper & lower abs are the focus with dumbbell flies, rib cage pullover, and double crunch. End with cardio.

I haven't received the book yet detailing the eating plan but I did purchase his 1st book on Ebay rather cheaply. It's called "5-Factor Fitness". Just do a search on Ebay for Harley Pasternak and you should see it. I would recommend getting the book. I like the dvds except there's no cool down or stretch but I just add on my own stretches or do another stretch dvd afterwards. The production quality is great and the packaging of the dvds is very nice including a journal to track your progress. The plan calls for 5 weeks of repeating exercises with higher weights each week and lower reps.

I'm glad I bought the set and plan on keeping it but I'm not sure I'll follow the program to the T just yet because I have so many new workouts to try before committing to a program.
Thanks so much for posting this! For the price and time this sounds like a great set. I may have to cave. Most of the reviews on the QVC site are positive also.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 10:01 AM  
Gardengirl

His workouts sound a lot like what Tom Venuto recommends in his book, which is what initially piqued my interest.
Old 10-13-09, 10:25 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

How is the music on DVDs? Anything recognizable?
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harley pasternak