Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-09, 12:38 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Ohhhh yeah! Relaxin, the hormone that allows the hip tendons to become more elastic in preparation for childbirth, also affects other tendons -- the feet spread and get bigger. It stinks! Mine grew a whole size too! (And my hair got wavy also -- weird hormonal changes)
Wow! Thank goodness mine did not grow with pregnancy. They are already big enough (size 8)!

I really came away without any permanent changes from my pregnancy. My body was pretty much the same afterwards as before... my weight gain was only 16 lbs (9 lb baby). I looked like a stick person with a basketball for a belly! I would say that my skin has changed in the last couple of years due to age, but pregnancy wasn't a factor.
Old 09-12-09, 01:12 PM  
desderata

This is fascinating. I've finally learned why my feet ended up 1/2 size larger. I had my 3 kids in my 30s and by my late 30s I was wearing a size 8 when I'd worn 71/2 from the time I was 15. I'm glad to know why. I don't have any stretch marks even after 3 kids. My mom had 6 and she doesn't have any either. I firmly believe it's genetics. My family is "blessed" with cellulite. My sisters are all very thin and have a little bit. I've gained some weight and have a lot more than a little bit. My tiny and fit 16 year old daughter has a little bit on the back of her thighs. I feel like I should apologize!
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 01:32 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara P View Post
Yes. I used the solid stuff. not the lotion.

ddj - you said you used bottles of the stuff. I did not use the stuff in the "bottles" which would be the lotion. I used the solid stuff - like butter, greasy stuff, in jars. NOT the lotion in the bottles. In fact I still use it to this day in strategic locations prior to my swim.
Barbara P
I don't think it would have mattered. Like I said, I have some less noticable stretch marks in places because of about thirty extra pounds I carried at one time. This was also when I was young, even before I had DS. I just think I'm prone to them.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 01:52 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I was pregnant twice, at 38 and 40, and here are some things I got:
  • Bigger feet
  • Hair went from fine and ruler-straight to thick and slightly wavy-it also fell out in handfuls shortly after birth
  • Stretch marks, despite 100% cocoa-butter sticks
  • Belly pooch (after the 2nd)
  • Carpal tunnel syndrome*
  • Heartburn*
  • PUPPP* (the WORST side effect of all) Google it, and prepare for gross images
  • And 2 healthy girls who fight constantly
*These things, I had no idea you could get until I got them.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 02:23 PM  
prettyinpink

Stretch marks can also be a reflection of how many times you get pregnant. I didn't get the really loose belly skin until after my third and had no stretch marks til then, either. After my first you would never know I had been pregnant except for the change in bust size, and yes, 1/2size bigger feet.

Cocoa butter does not do a thing to prevent stretch marks. It feels nice on the skin, though.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 03:17 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
Stretch marks can also be a reflection of how many times you get pregnant. I didn't get the really loose belly skin until after my third and had no stretch marks til then, either. After my first you would never know I had been pregnant except for the change in bust size, and yes, 1/2size bigger feet.

Cocoa butter does not do a thing to prevent stretch marks. It feels nice on the skin, though.
Well, then, I hate to think what my skin would look like if I'd had three!
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-09, 03:44 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
All I got was heartburn.

Well, I got that too but at least it went away when I delivered. The bigger feet and wavy hair stayed behind.
Old 09-12-09, 05:36 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

DD#2 gave me heartburn and she was a hairy little thing...but she has always been a lovely girl and now a beautiful woman This pregnancy also really aggravated my varicose veins (from standing on concrete floors in the labs). BUT and it's a biggie...after both deliveries, I lost all the weight, esp. after #2...really went down! I looked pretty much as before children and could fit into all my tiny clothes. And my feet didn't grow...at least everything still fit after having the girls...and my hair didn't change...still coarse and frizzy waves...naturally curly. Hmm...and because of all the weight I've gained (and lost and regained) over the past 20 years (our daughters are now almost 32 and 30), my stretch marks from being heavy may be worse than the ones I got from being pregnant.

FWIW, I've never really had the patience to lay out in the sun...tried it and just never had the patience to lay out there trying to tan. But I have been burned while playing out in the sun So maybe I've avoided some sun damage. I don't like my face to tan...my arms get brown from what little sun time I get. I usually stick to shade. And this summer I never wore shorts out in public...my legs stay as white as Casper anyway And the veins give my legs the appearance of a city map.
Old 09-12-09, 09:52 PM  
DRD0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Ohhhh yeah! Relaxin, the hormone that allows the hip tendons to become more elastic in preparation for childbirth, also affects other tendons -- the feet spread and get bigger. It stinks! Mine grew a whole size too! (And my hair got wavy also -- weird hormonal changes)
I often tease my daughter that she gave me curly hair. My son did not it was still straight, but with her, curly. She is curly haired, maybe that is why.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, loose skin, tracy anderson