Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-22, 08:51 AM  
bubbles76

Interested in Erin Stern's books

Hi! Has anyone used either of the following books by Erin Stern:

I think for me nutrition is the bigger issue, as I really like to work out. However, I also really like cake. When I work out very hard, I lose my appetite which I know can't be good if I want to get bulkier. Any advice or reviews are welcome.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 06:28 AM  
bubbles76

Bumping
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-03-22, 08:19 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Bubbles, I have both books. The nutrition book has information on macronutrients and examples of 7-day meal plans for different types of diets: bulking, carb cutting, carb cycling, keto, etc. The different diets make up the first 30 pages of the book. The rest of the 120+ pages are recipes. I’ve tried several and they were all tasty.

Train Like a Bodybuilder has about 20 pages of different kinds of rotations. There is a page where you choose whether you ant to build, maintain, or lean out. Then there are sample rotations, but like in the Body Builder’s Kitchen, there are only 7-day examples. The rest of the book is pictures of people doing the exercisers. I really admire Erin Stern, but I don’t think there’s anything n this book that you can’t find online. I would recommend following her YouTube channel and making your own rotations based on her YouTube content.

If you want a book that gives longer workout programs, I would recommend Sohee Lee’s Eat, Lift, Thrive or Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove’s Strong Sohee has an online program (which I have not tried) and a very informative Instagram account.

I hope this helps!

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 08:21 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have a friend who follows Erin's programs. She has read both books and has competed. I'd say they're more for the competitors, but there's no harm in reading them and getting a few pointers and recipes.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 01:09 PM  
star117

Those look interesting! I'm also interested in Jordan Syatt and Susan Neibergall books. Anyone read those?
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 04:19 PM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
Those look interesting! I'm also interested in Jordan Syatt and Susan Neibergall books. Anyone read those?
I read Susan's book and found it a great read. Jordan's book isn't out yet, but you can preorder. I love both their attitudes toward training and nutrition and has really helped me.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-22, 09:28 PM  
bubbles76

Oh seems like I have a lot to think about. Thanks ladies!
Old 06-03-22, 11:02 PM  
rhbrand

I have Erin's workout book, but not her nutrition book, but I've thought about getting it.

I also love Susan's book and I listen to both her and Jordan's podcasts and find them so educational. I can't wait to get Jordan's book.

Tags
erin stern, nutrition books